Are we all deluded about Sugar Ray Robinson? - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 01-28-2012, 03:25 PM #1
Interim Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to all
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 6,174,026.15
Default Are we all deluded about Sugar Ray Robinson?

I was having this argument with a guy on youtube some time ago over a fantasy match-up between Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard. He claimed that Robinson had " no defense, a poor jab, throws terrible punches that are too wide, and leaves himself off-balance." He claimed that Leonard would be able to easily beat Robinson, because of his superior hand speed and better "form" even once claimng that Robinson defense consisted of "blocking punches with his head"
When I made my rebuttal and asking what he meant by "form" he said

" By form, I'm referring to Leonard's textbook punches, instead of the wide, off-balance, amateurish shots Robinson takes. Robinson could never hit Leonard with those shots, and would get killed with counter punches".

oh btw he also claimed that Lamotta was a lousy fighter and would be easily beaten by Leonard and get "killed in the 70's"

So are we all deluded? cause the Robinson he was talking about didn't seem to be the same Robinson I know. I thought he was overblowing Robinsons faults and exaggerating Leonards skills, but it did get me thinking.

Any thoughts?
kendom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-28-2012, 03:29 PM #2
TheTartanSoldier

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 545,608,893,358,762.56
Total Points: 399,481,592,806,029,504.00
Top Bloke! - mickey malone For your knowledge of boxing - sigrab jr Hell of a poster, very generous - BigStereotype the champ is here - New England wisdom - House of Stone 
For generosity and top posts! - Sugarj medal for your videos - New England The Greatest Vid : Barney the Great - McGoorty Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A 
4 the uploads! - chiguy91 For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 For the massive amount of points given - MindBat You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 For the help buddy - Badzi87 You a Scot,Me a English and this lucky clover from Ireland.Best of luck m8. - HughGlass 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

The guy is obviously a bit of a moron.

I was surprised by just how skilful LaMotta looks on film.
Barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:30 PM #3
TheTartanSoldier

Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Top Bloke! - mickey malone For your knowledge of boxing - sigrab jr Hell of a poster, very generous - BigStereotype the champ is here - New England wisdom - House of Stone 
For generosity and top posts! - Sugarj medal for your videos - New England The Greatest Vid : Barney the Great - McGoorty Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A 
4 the uploads! - chiguy91 For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 For the massive amount of points given - MindBat You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 For the help buddy - Badzi87 You a Scot,Me a English and this lucky clover from Ireland.Best of luck m8. - HughGlass 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

As soon as I pressed reply it came to me he's obviously only ever watched a HL of Robinson.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:42 PM #4
Interim Champion

kendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnburner View Post
The guy is obviously a bit of a moron.

I was surprised by just how skilful LaMotta looks on film.
Yh I thought so too, I was appalled at his bias, you can see the argument if you want this the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql2jscsVcjE
Go back some pages Im kenomy66 and the guys name is TA15 something
Old 01-28-2012, 04:07 PM #5
TheTartanSoldier

The guy is a bit of an idiot.

I disagreed with a lot of things he said, too many to list. I disagreed with you a little on a few points as well though.

The first being Robinson's jab was only 7/10. I think Sugar's jab is 8.5/10 or something along them lines, probably more. It's a thing of beauty the speed and accuracy which he shoots it out. Constantly moving and firing that jab early in the fight. Keeping the opponent at bay.

The second being that Leonard didn't have power to keep Basilio off him. I find Leonard's punching does get under-rated and he was definitely a big banger. I think Leonard's shots to have the sting to discourage Basilio to just under the same extent Robinson's did.

Good debating though!
Old 01-28-2012, 04:13 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Vadrigar. has a reputation beyond reputeVadrigar. has a reputation beyond reputeVadrigar. has a reputation beyond reputeVadrigar. has a reputation beyond reputeVadrigar. has a reputation beyond reputeVadrigar. has a reputation beyond reputeVadrigar. has a reputation beyond reputeVadrigar. has a reputation beyond reputeVadrigar. has a reputation beyond reputeVadrigar. has a reputation beyond reputeVadrigar. has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,027,366,930.10
Float Like a Butterfly, Sting Like a Bee - Stone Roses! Always good to see you post akhi. - RubenSonny for old times - Spray_resistant thank me later - ted*. keep it going :D - lebrick 
Hang in there big pimpin. These hoes is fu.ckin. You can easily get one. Keep ballin boss player OG. Dueces. - Anxious Times Take a nice girl out on a date. Show her a good time, pimp. - punchr 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Freedom Fighter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendom View Post
" By form, I'm referring to Leonard's textbook punches, instead of the wide, off-balance, amateurish shots Robinson takes. Robinson could never hit Leonard with those shots, and would get killed with counter punches".
It's called combination punching. When Robinson wants to box he will box. Remember Hearns was out boxing Leonard before he got tired and Robinson's stamina wasn't a problem.

Maybe Robinson has to open up to keep the big middleweights off him. he wouldn't need to do that with Leonard.
Vadrigar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 PM #7
Interim Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by -D33Pwaters- View Post
It's called combination punching. When Robinson wants to box he will box. Remember Hearns was out boxing Leonard before he got tired and Robinson's stamina wasn't a problem.

Maybe Robinson has to open up to keep the big middleweights off him. he wouldn't need to do that with Leonard.
Yh I know I was just quoting the guy I was debating with
Old 01-28-2012, 04:29 PM #8
Interim Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnburner View Post
The guy is a bit of an idiot.

I disagreed with a lot of things he said, too many to list. I disagreed with you a little on a few points as well though.

The first being Robinson's jab was only 7/10. I think Sugar's jab is 8.5/10 or something along them lines, probably more. It's a thing of beauty the speed and accuracy which he shoots it out. Constantly moving and firing that jab early in the fight. Keeping the opponent at bay.
The second being that Leonard didn't have power to keep Basilio off him. I find Leonard's punching does get under-rated and he was definitely a big banger. I think Leonard's shots to have the sting to discourage Basilio to just under the same extent Robinson's did.

Good debating though!
I dont think that Robinsons jab was that big a part of his arsenal, although it was a very good jab, I think it was more of a range finder jab than one he used to control a fight

And yeah about Basilio, well this point applied more to Lamotta to be honest, I dont think Leonards shots would have kept away as much as Robinsons. Since there's no footage of the 1st five fights where Lamotta was much faster its hard to imagine how Robinson was able to constantly beat him, but I think power would have come into the equation.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:49 PM #9
Double X

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,937,363,666,999,581.50
Total Points: 2,937,364,149,785,881.50
Here's a superman gift, for being brave enough to fukk squids - Erik13 I shall try my best to improve my reputation. - Robin Hood Here's for the 7k post! - led Happy 7k! :) - *Boss Lady* xmas gift, even though i'm almost 1000% sure you don't celebrate it.. - Ether 
Thank you ! - BulgariasFinest Happy 8k! :) - Bossy Here's one for the 8k party - led I found a way to fix &quot;it&quot;....pm me, ill be more than happy to help you - Mike Tyson77 I'm new here but congratulations on your 9000 post...cheers! - jose830 
For going 10,000 strong! - codey for your service. - codey 10000 - TBear Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy new year, Teng. - Terrel 
the first bottle is on me homie! - jose830 Happy 10.5k tard! - led* 
Autism - Pension-Killer Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - project xxx1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Point Giver Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

Robinson would only really get off balance when he was committing to the tail end of a combination, such as when he'd double and triple up the left hook on a retreating opponent.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:42 PM #10
STOP CRYIN

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
AntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 17,400,680,455.20
Total Points: 17,401,813,818.67
That RJJ clip... LMAOOOOO - sweet pea 50 Hard cold cash. - Hard Dick thx man.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Miller Time - !! AI-Holmes!! No Message - Old Coward 
solid posts mate - Alx. have a sneakers homie - Warrios or have a snickers lol - Warrios 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

lol. dude makes it seem as if that's how ray would start his attack. and for the record, dude needs to go check out ray in his prime. there are quite a few little clips of him. the man would have been owning WW and MW for the past decade that's how ahead of his time he was.

all i need is Leonard hearns I as a reference. what happened when hearns boxed? he outboxed Leonard. it was only when Leonard made it a dogfight that he started winning. ray would have outboxed him, and outlasted him in a brawl. that's not to take anything away from Leonard , as i think he's the second greatest ww. i just think SRR would have beaten the breaks off of him.
AntonTheMeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
deluded, robinson?, sugar

User Tag List