one of boxing's biggest shames, no footage of the Grebster - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 01-12-2012, 05:08 PM
boxingking500
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0 boxingking500 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingking500 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingking500 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingking500 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingking500 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingking500 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingking500 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingking500 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingking500 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingking500 has a reputation beyond reputeboxingking500 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 13,881.42
Total Points: 22,872,828.55
one of our best - Freedom. troll - kyshenko team you deserve a kick for stupid threads - Freedom. Troll - S~T~J Troll - S~T~J 
Troll - S~T~J 
Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - kyshenko team Gay and Lesbian Pride - kyshenko team Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Ogecca MaMa 
Default one of boxing's biggest shames, no footage of the Grebster

Harry Greb, arguably the greatest boxer to ever fight (one can make an argument that he is p4p #1, better then SRR)

and it just sucks that there is no footage of him, his style of boxing, his skills, NONE.. all we know is that he beat some really tough dudes, and we have footage of those guys..

Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Barn
TheTartanSoldier

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Rep Power: 62 Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 545,608,893,358,762.56
Total Points: 399,481,592,805,979,648.00
Top Bloke! - mickey malone For your knowledge of boxing - sigrab jr Hell of a poster, very generous - BigStereotype the champ is here - New England wisdom - House of Stone 
For generosity and top posts! - Sugarj medal for your videos - New England The Greatest Vid : Barney the Great - McGoorty Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A 
4 the uploads! - chiguy91 For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 For the massive amount of points given - MindBat You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 For the help buddy - Badzi87 You a Scot,Me a English and this lucky clover from Ireland.Best of luck m8. - HughGlass 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingking500 View Post
Harry Greb, arguably the greatest boxer to ever fight (one can make an argument that he is p4p #1, better then SRR)

and it just sucks that there is no footage of him, his style of boxing, his skills, NONE.. all we know is that he beat some really tough dudes, and we have footage of those guys..

"The Grebster"
Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Rep Power: 23 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,000,120,108.27
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 
Keep'in them real - jaded nice post - lefthook2daliva 

There no footage in the Jimmy Jacobs archives? I would think there is. Ray
Old 01-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Barn
TheTartanSoldier

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Rep Power: 62 Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 545,608,893,358,762.56
Total Points: 399,481,592,805,979,648.00
Top Bloke! - mickey malone For your knowledge of boxing - sigrab jr Hell of a poster, very generous - BigStereotype the champ is here - New England wisdom - House of Stone 
For generosity and top posts! - Sugarj medal for your videos - New England The Greatest Vid : Barney the Great - McGoorty Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A 
4 the uploads! - chiguy91 For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 For the massive amount of points given - MindBat You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 For the help buddy - Badzi87 You a Scot,Me a English and this lucky clover from Ireland.Best of luck m8. - HughGlass 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Corso View Post
Nope, not that anyone knows of. If anyone has it it's in the hands of private collectors not willing to share or even let us know they have it.

The only footage of him made public is a training video in preparation for the Mickey Walker fight.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 PM
raf727
Interim Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 7 raf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 440,618,875,687.32
Total Points: 440,618,881,153.75
kick this bum - Freedom. Have a beer! - Barnburner Anyone that gets a kick me from Freedom, is ok with me. - RossCA No Message - RossCA Thanks for the green - Boxing Goat 

ive been just completely fascinating with this guy since i found out about him, and since he is from pittsburgh. there is a little footage on a website of him hitting bags and shadowboxing, but no actual fight footage exists that is known.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,083,701.52
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Corso View Post
No. The story goes that Jacobs received a note accompanying various films. The note was labelled 'Greb vs Tunney'. But the film wasn't to be found. A big search ensued but to no avail.

There was a reported viewing of a Greb fight in 1978 for a select group of enthusiasts. I read a report some time ago by one of the attendees, the film was quite difficult viewing due to deterioration of the film itself. If it still exists it might be unwatchable.

One will show up someday. Several of his fights were filmed. A relative of a deceased collector or some library/university will have something, but no one will be aware of it.

I hate to say this, but I've got a gut feeling that it is probably better that nothing is ever found. Greb's legend is better without fight film.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:38 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,067,393.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
No. The story goes that Jacobs received a note accompanying various films. The note was labelled 'Greb vs Tunney'. But the film wasn't to be found. A big search ensued but to no avail.

There was a reported viewing of a Greb fight in 1978 for a select group of enthusiasts. I read a report some time ago by one of the attendees, the film was quite difficult viewing due to deterioration of the film itself. If it still exists it might be unwatchable.

One will show up someday. Several of his fights were filmed. A relative of a deceased collector or some library/university will have something, but no one will be aware of it.

I hate to say this, but I've got a gut feeling that it is probably better that nothing is ever found. Greb's legend is better without fight film.
Problem is if there are any films they would have had to have backed it up by now else it won't have survived. The training film there is of Greb was Only discovered in the 90s I believe. I think it was found unlabelled at an American university or college or something.
Difficult as to think that he might look unimpressive and have feet of clay. That said we love this sport and to never see possibly it's finest exponent in action is a hell of an irony. Bit like the greatest poet in the world never having written anything down.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,067,393.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC View Post
Problem is if there are any films they would have had to have backed it up by now else it won't have survived. The training film there is of Greb was Only discovered in the 90s I believe. I think it was found unlabelled at an American university or college or something.
Difficult as to think that he might look unimpressive and have feet of clay. That said we love this sport and to never see possibly it's finest exponent in action is a hell of an irony. Bit like the greatest poet in the world never having written anything down.
Strange thing is, when I was a kid back in the dinosaur age there was a friend of my fathers who used to work for pathe news as an editor. And he'd get whole fight films and edit them down for newsreels. He'd done it for years and had kept a hell of a collection. As you can imagine My father and I spent many an afternoon at his home and whilst this was over sixty years ago I do have vague recollections of fights. Might be an old mans imagination but when I read old fight reports very vivid images do come into my mind.
Just rambling put it down to Alzheimers memories

Do remember an old timer when I was a kid swearing he'd seen Greb fight live. I wrote it off as bull as to my then knowledge Greb had never left America and this guy had certainly never left London. Then a few years back I found Greb fought at The Albert Hall during WWI.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,083,701.52
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC View Post

To be fair though, the training footage discovered in the 90s looks very good in terms of clarity, a fight film stored as well would not look much worse. Hell, I've seen some really grainy Jack Johnson fights..........even some footage of Corbett vs Fitzimmons which predates Greb's prime by what? 25 years?

My prediction is that something will eventually show up, but we might end up being disappointed with the results.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:08 PM
New England
Strong champion.

Quoted: 2605 Post(s)
Rep Power: 133 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,964,137,358,538,844.00
Total Points: 10,124,970,140,040,351,744.00
I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery 
Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas 
For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! Suck on this Cry Baby - Rocky... 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

lol

the grebster!

it is a shame, brother

there's always a chance there's some stuff out there that somebody is sitting on, either knowingly or otherwise

clips of robinson at WW have shown up in the last ten years i believe.
there may still be some more complete fights out there

especially with a famous fighter like greb
he was no burley
he was a very famous figure

even though people werent thinking about boxers in these terms, he was certainly the p4p king during some of his prime, considering his resume at 160 and 175

Last edited by New England; 01-15-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Share This With Friends

Tags
biggest, boxing's, footage, grebster, shames

User Tag List