Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Shadownero
Up and Comer

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 4,823.11
Default Starting training.

I live in Vancouver and I am going to start going to sugar rays boxing in January. I am a mixed martial artist (Training for 2 1/2 years, took a year off to have surgery on my knees from wrestling.) I am 19 and just getting back into serious training. I would like some guys opinions on sugar rays and other boxing clubs/trainers in Vancouver just to make sure I can choose the right one.

A little info, I have mild asthma and my foot work is not very good at the moment. I have always been a good grappler but I have always enjoyed striking more. I feel that if I do want to become a great fighter overall boxing is probably the best way to go (Most MMA guys are terrible with their hands). I am willing to put in all the effort that my training requires and hope to go amateur by 20-21ish, and pro 21-23ish. Does that sound like a reasonable time line?

I would consider being a professional boxer but my brain and intelligence means a lot to me. I have always just figured that MMA is safer in terms of athletes getting brain damage.

Last edited by Shadownero; 12-22-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-22-2011, 08:57 AM
oztheuzi
Up and Comer

Total Points: 17,358.71

Your timeframe seems very reasonable. Any boxing gym should have proper trainers that can help you with your foot work... practice practice practice! Same with timing and jabbing techniques.
I like your selection of fighters you always support, but why no Jon "Bones" Jones?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Shadownero
Up and Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheuzi View Post
Your timeframe seems very reasonable. Any boxing gym should have proper trainers that can help you with your foot work... practice practice practice! Same with timing and jabbing techniques.
I like your selection of fighters you always support, but why no Jon "Bones" Jones?
Personally I did not like Jon Jones for awhile. That is changing though the more I look into him so he will be on my list soon enough.

Thank you for your input also.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Marlin26
Contender

Rep Power: 6 Marlin26 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin26 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin26 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin26 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin26 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin26 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin26 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin26 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin26 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin26 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin26 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 23,697.45

Vancouver eh? I'm from the island man! mid van island, Campbell River. I hope to be moving to vancouver in the next year to persue my dream of becoming a pro boxer. I'm 17 at the mometn and a guy to look into that lives in van is Manny Sobral
Old 12-24-2011, 03:09 AM
Shadownero
Up and Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin26 View Post
Vancouver eh? I'm from the island man! mid van island, Campbell River. I hope to be moving to vancouver in the next year to persue my dream of becoming a pro boxer. I'm 17 at the mometn and a guy to look into that lives in van is Manny Sobral
I will be sure to check him out. I was born in Campbell river and raised there until I was 10. I hope you have the best of luck becoming a pro boxer. The thing that diverts me from it is brain damage. MMA just seems safer, anyway good luck man.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:22 AM
dan_cov
Graceful God Golovkin

Rep Power: 64 dan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,387,076,945,027,113,472.00
Total Points: 2,433,381,793,737,762,816.00
Thanks man - Jloro dan_cov makes Boxingscene a better place - valero Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed 
thanks - DannYankee09 p4p poster.  Thank you for keeping it 100% - damit305 you have great predictions - here's an apple to sustain that brain power - jas you deserve a medal for being a truly truly atg poster - jas I see you hit the lotto...congratulations :fing02: - -jose- 
Congrats good call. - Scott.Weiland. Enjoy - kennylimon solid - SlySlickSmooth ATG poster - Croyd a cookie for ur kitchen post lol - sugarsmosley 
Thx 4 points,made WC more fun - Scott.Weiland knows s**t about boxin' - SlySlickSmooth No Message - Scott Weiland Ran out of greenies - Beercules Hope you like cold beer bro! :-) - Tyler_Durden 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - ƒallenloki Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - ƒallenloki Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - ƒallenloki Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Daniel Alpha 
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Daniel Alpha Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - codey 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownero View Post
I will be sure to check him out. I was born in Campbell river and raised there until I was 10. I hope you have the best of luck becoming a pro boxer. The thing that diverts me from it is brain damage. MMA just seems safer, anyway good luck man.

Pointless IMO of speaking about going pro when you're a long way off. Best to get sparring at least & take it from there, take one step at a time bro.
Eat, sleep, breathe boxing. Listen to your coaches and take one day at a time.

Brain damage in boxing is rare, especially these days where you have to pass medicals etc

MMA is not safer, if anything it's even more dangerous. They're allowed to use locks/chokes, little 4oz gloves, knees, elbows etc
Old 12-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Shadownero
Up and Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancovboxer View Post
Pointless IMO of speaking about going pro when you're a long way off. Best to get sparring at least & take it from there, take one step at a time bro.
Eat, sleep, breathe boxing. Listen to your coaches and take one day at a time.

Brain damage in boxing is rare, especially these days where you have to pass medicals etc

MMA is not safer, if anything it's even more dangerous. They're allowed to use locks/chokes, little 4oz gloves, knees, elbows etc
I would have to really think it through before going pro in boxing. It would be a big career change and I would have to start from scratch. I have been doing MMA for 2 years but my boxing is sub par in my opinion. Therefor I am joining a boxing club along with my usual training. I will consider boxing if I can get paid more and have less risk of brain damage. I enjoy both sports but MMA does seem safer. The chokes are not much to worry about and tapping out is easy enough to reduce risks of injury. Pride is not worth a lifelong injury. As for the gloves I have never really had a problem with them, I do not enjoy being hit so I use as much defense as I can and since I do not like being hit I would rather take my boxing to a higher level. If I am better then others at boxing I will most likely get hit less.

I guess I see MMA as safer because I have been in and around it longer than I have boxing.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:08 AM
josh-hill
Contender

Total Points: 58,081.15

mma is much more dangerous. i was reading a thread on sherdog the other day about a guy that just turned pro. he got knocked down and caught by a hammer fist on the ground. split is skull wide open and now he cant fight. i think the ground and pound aspect of mma makes it a much more dangerous sport, not to mention the back and shoulder injuries from grappling. i speak from experience, i had to give up grappling due to injuries, and i never even got to an amateur level. im half way through a year off to have shoulder surgery and then im going to start a pure striking sport. maybe boxing or muay thai
Old 12-24-2011, 01:56 PM
*Boss*
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 *Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute*Boss* has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 38,203,640.74
Enjoy the fight, you're an excellent poster! - dancovboxer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-hill View Post
mma is much more dangerous. i was reading a thread on sherdog the other day about a guy that just turned pro. he got knocked down and caught by a hammer fist on the ground. split is skull wide open and now he cant fight. i think the ground and pound aspect of mma makes it a much more dangerous sport, not to mention the back and shoulder injuries from grappling. i speak from experience, i had to give up grappling due to injuries, and i never even got to an amateur level. im half way through a year off to have shoulder surgery and then im going to start a pure striking sport. maybe boxing or muay thai
this is so true... I've only been training bjj for like 8 months but about a month ago i popped my right shoulder twice in training now i have constant issues with it.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:39 PM
sammiza567
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 12 sammiza567 has a reputation beyond reputesammiza567 has a reputation beyond reputesammiza567 has a reputation beyond reputesammiza567 has a reputation beyond reputesammiza567 has a reputation beyond reputesammiza567 has a reputation beyond reputesammiza567 has a reputation beyond reputesammiza567 has a reputation beyond reputesammiza567 has a reputation beyond reputesammiza567 has a reputation beyond reputesammiza567 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 795.30
Total Points: 1,050,044,520.26
kick this idiot - Freedom. 

mma is safer its a fact. doesnt make it less than boxing but ill just tell you why, scientifiically its safer. obviously you have guys like gsp who dont take much damage to their face through superior grappling.also, when your allowed to use more stiking points, it also means less focus on head shots.last but not least the smaller gloves mean you take take alot of shots like boxing gloves (make no mistake boxing gloves ARE NOT alot bigger). its proven a one shot ko is much better for you than taking tons of punches up against the ropes or whatever.