Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: who's greater
joe calzaghe 112 64.00%
winky wright 63 36.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 PM
daggum
All time great

Rep Power: 57 daggum has a reputation beyond reputedaggum has a reputation beyond reputedaggum has a reputation beyond reputedaggum has a reputation beyond reputedaggum has a reputation beyond reputedaggum has a reputation beyond reputedaggum has a reputation beyond reputedaggum has a reputation beyond reputedaggum has a reputation beyond reputedaggum has a reputation beyond reputedaggum has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,001,150,353,052.23
Super Joe Calzagheeeeeeeee - Sir TomJones I think Calzaghe is ATG and yes I realise I am daggum - rorymac you deserve a kick for your hatred of white boxers - Freedom. you post nothing except hatred and ridicule of the boxers - Freedom. You post nothing except hatred and ridicule of boxers.... keep up the good work - Deal With It 
You deserve a medal for your hatred of white boxers - Deal With It this hater deserves a kick - Freedom. have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier Joe, Floyd, and Wlad are winners, you are a loser - Freedom. for the hilarious and utterly relentless Zag bashing! - The Surgeon 
No Message - Tha_Greatest stand up poster - bigsmoothh pizza pizza - bigsmoothh Wilder's right hand leaves them too drunk to stand! - valero calzaghe = goat - sugarsmosley 
give this loser daggum another kick - Freedom2014 you are the funniest poster on the site, here's a pie - jas this calzaghe reminder thread is hilarious - jas a truly great poster - jas hella funny posts - SlySlickSmooth 
Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - PensionKiller 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis828 View Post
^^^^priceless stuff. People seem to forget that HBO.... boxing in general was trying to get rid of Hopkins when he fought Taylor.
they were heavily promoting both taylor and calzaghe going into those fights. calzaghe-jones ppv was already booked if calzaghe won. hopkins really should have refused to fight if he knew the fix was in(look at the scorecards the judges were giving calzaghe rounds like rounds 2 and 3 when he landed nothing) hopkins had zero chance to win except a one punch ko but hey the fight happened and people who know boxing know who really won so that's all that matters. it's better then having fantasy tards saying calzaghe would ko hopkins or what not.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-15-2011, 08:33 PM
IMDAZED
You'll resort to race

Rep Power: 82 IMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 59,796,670,524,581.52
Total Points: 61,799,836,000,583.49
for knowing your stuff! - natas206 thanks for the info. - TRUTH For that homerun of a post, bud. - Sweet Pea 50 An apple for one of BoxingScene's most knowledgeable posters - danc1984 BOOM - Fiend 
Excellent poster - ADDICT MOH. For continously educating NSB. - BattlingNelson been a while mate! - Tamis_Siensya No Message - WESS 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
He wasn't great at 154, no. It's still Shane Mosley, though. Beating him in his prime wasn't an easy thing. 154 or not.

It's obviously a good win for Wright. Underdog going into it, #1 at 154 and Top P4P fighter.

Doing that, is absolutely better than betaing Kessler IMO. And I ca't see how that's not at the very least argubale.

I didn't say Oscar didn't deserve the Decision over Mosley. I'm just talking about Wright's and Calzaghe's fights respectively. Vargas, a fight in which Wright should have won, would again be better than almost anything Calzaghe did in his career.

And even if you do consider Kessler and Hopkins to be better than Wright's whole resume. It doesn't really mean much.

Ruben Carter KO1 Emile Griffith is better than anything on anyones resume in the past 20 years possibly.

Oakland Billy Smith KO of Harold Johnson is better than anyones entire resume of the last decade.

Would you say those two are heads and sholders above Wright aswell?

It still doesn't change the fact that if you consider those wins both to be better than anything Winky Wright did, his resume is still not that far behind Calzaghe's.

Both of them fought around the same amount of Top ranked opposition. And both of them fought an atleast comparable amount of actual quality opposition.

Like I said, I don't think Winky is greater. But I can't see how it isn't close.

And also like I said, I'm not a fan of Winky. I'm not trying to big him up.

Quite the opposite, really.
I'm not quite sure beating Mosley then is quite as good as it may seem to be but yes, it's a pretty good win. Better than Kessler? Certainly debatable but I'll agree that it is (barely). But that is all Winky has. He has the win over Tito, which falls somewhere around the level of Calzaghe's win over Chris Eubank. I don't count Vargas as a win because it wasn't and I agreed with the decision. In fact, I'm not sure how that helps Winky's case. Vargas was out of shape and still managed to throw 100 punches in each of the last two rounds which, in my opinion, won him the bout in a see-saw battle. That's it. Other than that, you can count Winky's solid performances in losses - and some not so solid ie. getting dropped five times versus Vasquez.

I'm not a fan of Joe Calzaghe by any means but I think his resume is significantly better than Wright's. He holds a win over Hops that trumps Wright's career. I understand that win doesn't automatically make him better but the rest of his resume is superior to the rest of Wright's resume, if you remove Wright's best win (Mosley) as well. Using ratings isn't always a good idea. The #2 rated HW is a lot worse than the #2 rated welter. While Mullings and McKart were rated high, Mullings wasn't a better opponent than Charles Brewer. Kessler is better than both. And Calzaghe has a slew of wins over contenders on par and better than Wright's long list of opponents. Plus, Calzaghe was a top pound for pounder for years. And dominated one (weak) division for years. Heck, even head to head he wins (see: Wright's struggles with Sam Soliman). In my opinion, the difference between Calzaghe and Wright is the difference between a first ballot Hall of Famer and a fighter who may have to wait forever. Although given the recent voting trends that may not necessarily be the case.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:43 PM
BoxingGenius27
Banned

Rep Power: 0 BoxingGenius27 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxingGenius27 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxingGenius27 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxingGenius27 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxingGenius27 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxingGenius27 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxingGenius27 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxingGenius27 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxingGenius27 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxingGenius27 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxingGenius27 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 304,120.51
Total Points: 9,371,058,709,924.58
nice ownage of Jro's pseudo expert/historian azz - Pancakes No Message - Tha_Greatest Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Holidays BoxingGenius27 - !! AI-Holmes!! 
for some wshh - thuggery 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - ROSS CALIFORNIA Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - ROSS CALIFORNIA Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - ROSS CALIFORNIA 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDAZED View Post
And dominated one (weak) division for years. Heck, even head to head he wins (see: Wright's struggles with Sam Soliman).
I hate to butt in, but I saw this comment and couldn't help myself.

Solliman threw like 5,000 punches and landed 3 the whole fight. I remember rooting for Solliman because I couldn't stand Wright at the time. I thought he was too good defensively.

But, I do have to disagree with the "Wright struggled with Soliman" thing. That's all.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 PM
orlandoernandez
Contender

Rep Power: 3 orlandoernandez has a reputation beyond reputeorlandoernandez has a reputation beyond reputeorlandoernandez has a reputation beyond reputeorlandoernandez has a reputation beyond reputeorlandoernandez has a reputation beyond reputeorlandoernandez has a reputation beyond reputeorlandoernandez has a reputation beyond reputeorlandoernandez has a reputation beyond reputeorlandoernandez has a reputation beyond reputeorlandoernandez has a reputation beyond reputeorlandoernandez has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,535.01

Joe and his pit pat punches!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:48 PM
IMDAZED
You'll resort to race

Rep Power: 82 IMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond repute
for knowing your stuff! - natas206 thanks for the info. - TRUTH For that homerun of a post, bud. - Sweet Pea 50 An apple for one of BoxingScene's most knowledgeable posters - danc1984 BOOM - Fiend 
Excellent poster - ADDICT MOH. For continously educating NSB. - BattlingNelson been a while mate! - Tamis_Siensya No Message - WESS 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis828 View Post
We agree at '54... but yes, I'm talking about his resume collectively [meaning DLH at '47 when DLH was everything, despite the Trinidad fight]. '47 is where he did most of his damage but is it his fault he didn't run into stiff opposition at '35 where he dominated? On top of that, it's not like he's lost to slouches either. He's fought some good opposition himself.
Fighting and winning are two different things though. And at 135 there was some sturdy opposition. Cesar Bazan and Stevie Johnston were pretty damn good. I agree that at 147 Mosley certainly made a name for himself with a huge win over Oscar and yet another years later versus Margarito. However, at 154 Mosley never looked good. That could've been because of the quality of opposition. But with all due respect, De La Hoya wasn't a great fighter at 154 either. And he lost to Winky, although gave a far better account in the rematch.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 PM
KingTito
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 26 KingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond reputeKingTito has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 10,697,768,141.35
Total Points: 125,108,922,070.09
Keep up with the good posts!!!!!! - abosworth Good poster - Joshua Clottey for being a laker fan...salud - Makavelli Great Poster!! - jazluvr for rockin the Boza Edwards avi. - Tha Executioner 
mayorgas favorite food - sugarsmosley You speak the truth on Floyd, he is an insecure HATER - hectari 

Winky. He fought far better opposition.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM
IMDAZED
You'll resort to race

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
I hate to butt in, but I saw this comment and couldn't help myself.

Solliman threw like 5,000 punches and landed 3 the whole fight. I remember rooting for Solliman because I couldn't stand Wright at the time. I thought he was too good defensively.

But, I do have to disagree with the "Wright struggled with Soliman" thing. That's all.
. You're right, he threw a gajillion punches and didn't land many of them. Sounds like someone I know. Someone bigger, stronger and better. And I think Wright did struggle with Soliman, if only because of the sheer amount of punches thrown his way - and a little more than three landed lol.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:51 PM
turbotime
Banned

Rep Power: 0 turbotime has a reputation beyond reputeturbotime has a reputation beyond reputeturbotime has a reputation beyond reputeturbotime has a reputation beyond reputeturbotime has a reputation beyond reputeturbotime has a reputation beyond reputeturbotime has a reputation beyond reputeturbotime has a reputation beyond reputeturbotime has a reputation beyond reputeturbotime has a reputation beyond reputeturbotime has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 127,269,744.14
ownage of a pactard - I'm so sorry respect you as a poster, keep it up champ! - Atreyu Khalil 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***1048;ATAS206 View Post
Winky fought guys in their primes and took a lot of challenges. He also fought far better opposition.
Lol yeah those stiff tests against Delahoya, Mayweather, and Taylor rematch....oh wait he turned those down.

Calzaghe all day. Would have handled Wright no problem as well.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Derranged
New York City sucks

Rep Power: 166 Derranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond reputeDerranged has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 9,403,799,004,531.48
Total Points: 12,513,854,783,485.29
Have some wine man.. - !! AI-Holmes!! merry xmas - Subtraction No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
BURRRRRRRRRR! - Natedatpkid Beer bro! - led Thread of the year- &quot;Drunk Lang&quot; - BostonGuy If u delete this, ur gay !! - wazaa. *mwah* - led 
Merry Christmas - Flab Shit, sorry. I mean: Happy Hanukkah! (No offence intended) - Flab Feliz Navidad - El Mustang merry christmas jew.... - dj emzz Happy Holidays bro! - led 
Happy holidays Mario! - led* Feel sweeter this Friday honey - Weltschmerz Happy Hannukkah! - led pretend it's JAB - Weltschmerz Official Queer of the Year Award - Weltschmerz 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Rocky... Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - !! AI-Holmes!! Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - BoxingPromoter Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mangler AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - BostonGuy World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggum View Post
wasn't calzaghe the guy who fought bums for ten straight years and then tried to redeem himself against lacy(tomato can), kessler, shot jones jr and hopkins(failed)
Lacy was considered the best 168lber at the time, he was a beast. Hardly anyone gave Joe a chance.

And he beat Hopkins. That argument has been beat to death. Get over it.

Do you just hang back and wait for Calzaghe threads? There's plenty of other active fighters to hate on.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 PM
-Hyperion-
The Best And Fastest Ride

Rep Power: 101 -Hyperion- has a reputation beyond repute-Hyperion- has a reputation beyond repute-Hyperion- has a reputation beyond repute-Hyperion- has a reputation beyond repute-Hyperion- has a reputation beyond repute-Hyperion- has a reputation beyond repute-Hyperion- has a reputation beyond repute-Hyperion- has a reputation beyond repute-Hyperion- has a reputation beyond repute-Hyperion- has a reputation beyond repute-Hyperion- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 116,490,680,780,772.69
Total Points: 116,490,706,508,464.91
A gift for ya.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Thanks - Dorian Awesome man.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Pacman deserves more! :p lol - Dorian Happy 18th Birthday! - ЯiZO 
Props on the sig homie! Gracias! - Puas Juan Manuel Lopez sig! - DWiens421 My Superman! Thanxs - L.E.X Immediate payment of ONE MILLIONK.... Winky looked good all things considered, Im still a fan of his... good fight. - reedickyaluss have a piece of my favorite cake! - steelhead 
Swine Flu? - DWiens421 For Those Points You Gave Me Lad! Yadadamean? P.s. PBF is Going to KTFO JMM! - Flawlezz Zombie Jesus told me to give you this gift... LMAO - ABOSWORTH Your incredible with the sigs man. i don't know how u do it. - Truth You're The Best! - ProfessionalLoc 
40 Oz &amp;amp; Chronic - Loccy Professional Pie - Loccy Professional Lollipop - Loccy To The ATG P4P Sig Maker On Boxing Scene...Much Appreciated And Thank You :) - BritishBoxing92 Happy new year! - Toney Loc 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 

calzaghe probably has a better legacy...winky is hands down the best fighter i've seen though...in his prime he was something else...