Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 12-08-2011, 04:42 AM
SirPimpGmoneh
Contender

Rep Power: 0 SirPimpGmoneh is infamous around these partsSirPimpGmoneh is infamous around these partsSirPimpGmoneh is infamous around these partsSirPimpGmoneh is infamous around these partsSirPimpGmoneh is infamous around these partsSirPimpGmoneh is infamous around these partsSirPimpGmoneh is infamous around these partsSirPimpGmoneh is infamous around these partsSirPimpGmoneh is infamous around these partsSirPimpGmoneh is infamous around these partsSirPimpGmoneh is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 30,784.17
Default better to master 1 style or be diverse?

Do you think its better for a fighter to master 1 style or to be well versed in several? I ask because as a fighter I am often switching up between the Philly shell and just an orthodox traditional style with both hands up. Both seem to have their advantages depending on who i am fighting, but i wonder if i should just try to perfect one. Thoughts?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-08-2011, 04:45 AM
Casual_Fan
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Casual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 18,173,206.53
Total Points: 18,183,910.54

Obviously more tools, better chances.

One dimensional fighters, once they are "solved", start to lose.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:35 AM
jvsnypes
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 jvsnypes has a reputation beyond reputejvsnypes has a reputation beyond reputejvsnypes has a reputation beyond reputejvsnypes has a reputation beyond reputejvsnypes has a reputation beyond reputejvsnypes has a reputation beyond reputejvsnypes has a reputation beyond reputejvsnypes has a reputation beyond reputejvsnypes has a reputation beyond reputejvsnypes has a reputation beyond reputejvsnypes has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,000,033,647.04

Being more diverse will give you a longer and more succesful career.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:47 AM
Sage84
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Sage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond reputeSage84 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 535,911,131.05
Total Points: 544,812,101.24

I think you HAVE to be diverse to be a top fighter. Have a look at the top 20 P4P (obviously opinion) and point out a single one dimensional fighter. You can win a belt these days as a one dimensional fighter but I still don't think you can be called Elite or great without being diverse.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Casual_Fan
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Casual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCasual_Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 18,173,206.53
Total Points: 18,183,910.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage84 View Post
I think you HAVE to be diverse to be a top fighter. Have a look at the top 20 P4P (obviously opinion) and point out a single one dimensional fighter. You can win a belt these days as a one dimensional fighter but I still don't think you can be called Elite or great without being diverse.
I agree, but there are always exceptions to the rule. IMHO, Tyson and Trinidad were pretty one-dimensional and made it to the top. But once people knew how to "solve" them, they started to lose. Both did it because they had power in excess.

To be honest, Trinidad's demise was a combination of being solved + fighting at a weight his power was not as effective.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:53 AM
.::|ULTIMATE|::.
Gran Campeon

Rep Power: 21497 .::|ULTIMATE|::. has a reputation beyond repute.::|ULTIMATE|::. has a reputation beyond repute.::|ULTIMATE|::. has a reputation beyond repute.::|ULTIMATE|::. has a reputation beyond repute.::|ULTIMATE|::. has a reputation beyond repute.::|ULTIMATE|::. has a reputation beyond repute.::|ULTIMATE|::. has a reputation beyond repute.::|ULTIMATE|::. has a reputation beyond repute.::|ULTIMATE|::. has a reputation beyond repute.::|ULTIMATE|::. has a reputation beyond repute.::|ULTIMATE|::. has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,991,696,984.50
Total Points: 4,992,253,159.62
Time for a super gift - jazluvr your name suits you right, amazing post on that jmm/pac breakdown - chiguy91 Burgos Beer - AP♠ 
Send a message via ICQ to .::|ULTIMATE|::. Send a message via AIM to .::|ULTIMATE|::. Send a message via Yahoo to .::|ULTIMATE|::.

Occasional diversity is good but you should try to perfect a style.

Ever notice how many fighters that switch from orthodox to southpaw stance get caught. They become masters of none. They get frustrated and easily abandon a winning plan that just requires time.

the Top fighters for the MOST part perfect one style and use small bits from others just when they call for it.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:06 AM
DeadLikeMe

Rep Power: 57 DeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 145,513,497,936,293.03
Total Points: 145,698,505,420,824.88
Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab owning pactards - I'm so sorry No Message - MARKBNLV No Message - MARKBNLV 
No Message - MARKBNLV Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil No Message - WESS Thanks for the green - damit305 :rofl: :rofl: Your post on triggs thread - jose830 
No Message - WESS have a cold one on me - sugarsmosley 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::|ULTIMATE|::. View Post
Occasional diversity is good but you should try to perfect a style.

Ever notice how many fighters that switch from orthodox to southpaw stance get caught. They become masters of none. They get frustrated and easily abandon a winning plan that just requires time.

the Top fighters for the MOST part perfect one style and use small bits from others just when they call for it.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

The phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" really applies well to boxing. The ability to make adjustments on the fly is one thing, but to really devote time to training both orthodox and southpaw or philly shell and high guard, etc...is really just taking time away from perfecting one thing.

Stand before you walk and walk before you run.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:32 AM
frosty-g
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 frosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 15,055,024.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage84 View Post
erm, pacquiao? excellent at what he does but as one dimensional as anybody.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:10 AM
jimbob89
Up and Comer

Total Points: 842.01

im only a young lad but all the fights ive seen of roy jones hes using his reflexes now hes older and not as sharp hes gettin beat. so diverseity is best look at naseem hamed he was good but theres always someone... if naz was more diverse it might of been diffrent
Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 AM
STREET CLEANER
The Watcher

Rep Power: 13 STREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond reputeSTREET CLEANER has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 18,323,701.24
Total Points: 31,028,363,527.31
so you can stop being paranoid about me, we will always be true blue homies forever even though you hate me - Tha_Greatest Salud! - STREET CLEANER 

Look at the P4P fighters today. They have the ability to adjust in a fight. As a fighter you have to have a plan B and C