Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM
outsidethebox
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 28,338.38
Default Long-term effects of boxing on hands and wrists?

[Background] Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to boxing, and I have a few questions for which hearing from a larger group of people would be helpful. I've done basic internet + forum searches, and browsed the most recent 50 pages of this sub-forum, but I apologize in advance if I ask any questions that have already been discussed to death.

[Question] There is a lot of info and discussion about the possible long-term effects of boxing on the brain. I'm wondering, instead, about the long-term effects of boxing on the HANDS and WRISTS. In the last few weeks, I've been experiencing some mild wrist discomfort after doing heavy hooks and uppercuts on the heavy bag.

I'm okay with short-term pain and discomfort as I build up strength and refine my technique (e.g. sore muscles and bruises). I'm NOT okay with destroying my hands over time and ending up with arthritis or permanently damaged hands as I get older. Does anyone know what kind of negative long-term effects boxing can have on the hands/wrists, and if so how to prevent these?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Uselesspoop
Amateur

Total Points: 2,562.33

i think the problem lies in the technique of the punches. My wrists get sore ( sometimes really sore to the extend i am unable to use it for daily tasks! ). i wear proper handwraps but it still hurts. it's probably because of how we throw the uppercuts and hooks.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 PM
-FLIP-
Contender

Rep Power: 8 -FLIP- has a reputation beyond repute-FLIP- has a reputation beyond repute-FLIP- has a reputation beyond repute-FLIP- has a reputation beyond repute-FLIP- has a reputation beyond repute-FLIP- has a reputation beyond repute-FLIP- has a reputation beyond repute-FLIP- has a reputation beyond repute-FLIP- has a reputation beyond repute-FLIP- has a reputation beyond repute-FLIP- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 55,333,560,822.97
Total Points: 55,333,578,922.19
Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - -FLIP- Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - -FLIP- Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - -FLIP- Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - -FLIP- Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - -FLIP- 
Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - -FLIP- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -FLIP- Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - -FLIP- Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - -FLIP- Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - -FLIP- 
Autism - -FLIP- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -FLIP- AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -FLIP- Head and Neck Cancer - -FLIP- Hepatitis C - -FLIP- 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - -FLIP- Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - -FLIP- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -FLIP- Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - -FLIP- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -FLIP- 

Are you wrapping your hands/wrist properly?

I use to have wrist problems with my right hand when I started in January. Even from just throwing a straight right. It doesnt hurt anymore when I punch, maybe my wrist got use to it or got a little stronger.

I am unsure about long term problems however.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:35 PM
outsidethebox
Amateur

Total Points: 28,338.38

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to a boxing gym and, to the best of my knowledge, wrapping my hands properly. My punching technique still has room to improve, and the wrist stress I am experiencing now may be due to slightly bent wrists on impact; it's def something I am working on.

If anyone else has stories about long-term wear and tear, please share!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Pony Boy
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 Pony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond reputePony Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 76,926.99

You can developed hand problems if you don't take care of your hands the way you should. You can develop carpal tunnel syndrome, tendinitis, arthritis, ligament damage, degenerative joint disease, develop ganglion cysts, bruising of the bones, besides sustain multiple type of fractures but it all can be prevented with proper hand wrapping, taping, wearing well padded gloves, stretching before and after working out, strengthening exercises and doing anti-inflammatory treatments.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Vitez
Contender

Total Points: 28,069.30

The snapping technique is important. I hurt mine because of pushing punches.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 AM
josh-hill
Contender

Total Points: 60,841.15

im guessing wrist stregnthening exercises are helpful. no matter what sport you do injuries are common, and the only remedy for many is rest. dont ever try and work through pain