Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Global Boxing Scene
Thread Navigation

Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 AM
G_Child_123
Contender

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,008,511.26
Default Sturm vs. Murray - Thoughts?

Has this come at the right time for Martin Murray against an 'over the hill' Felix Sturm?

I've personally got it as a Sturm win on points. Not a shutout, but by a clear 5 or 6 rounds on the cards. If it is anything close to the action we saw in the Macklin fight then I'm happy!
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
dantheman1983
Contender

Total Points: 71,212.53

I'd like Murray to win but I don't think he is better than Macklin so got to go with Sturm
Old 12-02-2011, 07:38 PM
G_Child_123
Contender

Well what a fight that was! I had it dead level, I really couldn't separate them.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:14 AM
ding-ding
Contender

Rep Power: 5 ding-ding has much to be proud ofding-ding has much to be proud ofding-ding has much to be proud ofding-ding has much to be proud ofding-ding has much to be proud ofding-ding has much to be proud ofding-ding has much to be proud ofding-ding has much to be proud ofding-ding has much to be proud ofding-ding has much to be proud of
Total Points: 40,730.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Child_123 View Post
Well what a fight that was! I had it dead level, I really couldn't separate them.
it was a decent scrap that. Great challenge by Murray, but I had Sturm take that by 3 rounds or so. He seemed to connect with a lot more punishing shots, although Murray really soaked them up - hard bastard

Murray is getting married in the Caribbean this week,might be a black eye on show in the photos haha
Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 AM
The Surgeon
Days Of Glory

Rep Power: 55 The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 313,676,294,377.42
Total Points: 200,426,661,067,530.38
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

Good fight. I felt for Murray, he had a case for the win but then so did Sturm and he was Champion and at home so...

I actually scored it a draw so i think the result was fair and square
Old 12-03-2011, 12:09 PM
G_Child_123
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ding-ding View Post
it was a decent scrap that. Great challenge by Murray, but I had Sturm take that by 3 rounds or so. He seemed to connect with a lot more punishing shots, although Murray really soaked them up - hard bastard

Murray is getting married in the Caribbean this week,might be a black eye on show in the photos haha
Yeah I don't blame you having by 3 rounds to Sturm, some of the rounds were so tough to score, I'm sure somebody on here felt Murray had it by 3.

Want to see him and Macklin fight off to determine who gets a rematch, that would be way close to call for me. After all, seems Barker is going after JCC Jr.

Yeah those are gonna be some dodgy wedding snaps, bit of Caribbean sun will ease all that though!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:27 PM
JKidd2624
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 9 JKidd2624 has a reputation beyond reputeJKidd2624 has a reputation beyond reputeJKidd2624 has a reputation beyond reputeJKidd2624 has a reputation beyond reputeJKidd2624 has a reputation beyond reputeJKidd2624 has a reputation beyond reputeJKidd2624 has a reputation beyond reputeJKidd2624 has a reputation beyond reputeJKidd2624 has a reputation beyond reputeJKidd2624 has a reputation beyond reputeJKidd2624 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 8,296.00

I had Marty by a single round. And as soon as it ended, I knew this was a fight for Sturm. The rounds were so tough to score, Murray with volume and hard punches mixed in, while Sturm was sharp shooting and connecting VERY well. It was a great fight, and I wouldn't doubt if Sturm offers a rematch to Murray. He deserves it. But, I also wouldn't put it past Felix to lowball it so Marty has no choice but to turn it down - a la Matt Macklin.

Imagine how much better Sturm would be if he had above average power to go with those boxing skills and hand speed...
Old 12-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Clegg

Rep Power: 154 Clegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,202,221,874,295,542.00
Total Points: 4,267,663,157,552,769.50
Before I get banned. - Richard Nixon FREE RiZO! - Carlton Banks MMM-My Sharona! - RiZО Have an apple Clegg - danc1984 Yank food is good - mangler jr 
Chunk cake - It's part of your 5 a day! - Chunk Coffee Is Professional - Loccy To make up for that soggy one. - Raider Monkz mhh Alizee is moi lolita &amp;lt;3 - cleaner147 Professional Cookie - Loccy 
super clegg - Old Coward No Message - -veteran420- with love - -veteran420- Merry Christmas - Flab Happy new year! - Toney Loc 
yum yum pot noodle - Mike_Hunt super e-baller - MANIAC310 Well deserved, never saw you at history section - HaglerSteelChin It sounds like you need one, LOL - HaglerSteelChin Have some more - HaglerSteelChin 
Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - mangler Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Scientist Gay and Lesbian Pride - RiΖΟ Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - PensionKiller Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy 
Childhood Cancer - MANGLER Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANGLER Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Head and Neck Cancer - LeeVanCleef 

I didn't score it, but my general impression was that Sturm did the better work. I don't know the punch stats but Sturm's shot just seemed to land cleaner and he controlled most of the action, even though Murray certainly did well in spurts. But there were 2-3 rounds I missed so it's hard for me to say really.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:37 PM
G_Child_123
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd2624 View Post
I had Marty by a single round. And as soon as it ended, I knew this was a fight for Sturm. The rounds were so tough to score, Murray with volume and hard punches mixed in, while Sturm was sharp shooting and connecting VERY well. It was a great fight, and I wouldn't doubt if Sturm offers a rematch to Murray. He deserves it. But, I also wouldn't put it past Felix to lowball it so Marty has no choice but to turn it down - a la Matt Macklin.

Imagine how much better Sturm would be if he had above average power to go with those boxing skills and hand speed...
Yeah agree with you there. If there is gonna be a rematch he is probably gonna have to accept the same purse for the fight. Can understand why fighters would be sceptical like that, knowing that its quite difficult to go there and get the decision.

I knew the French judge was gonna have it to Sturm! It wasn't as wide a a 4 point difference for me. Judges on the continent tend to be similar in that they look for the solid foundations that fighters hone in the ameteurs (solid jab, good defense). This is typical of fighters like Sturm and many others on the continent, so they always gonna plump for that.

US and Canadian judges for me had more realistic scorecards, and they seemingly take in all the other factors that make the pro fight game different from the ameteurs. Not that European judges ignore dictating tempo and periods of pressure, its just less likely to swing a round for them.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:41 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 70 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,132,139,888,560,178.50
Total Points: 4,161,360,004,712,598.50
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

I thought it was a close fight that either could have won and a draw was a good result.

I was very shocked that Sturm didn't get the Decision, though.

I was expecting some crazy scorecards with Sturm winning.

Most of the rounds were close and I assumed that the judges will give each and everyone of those to Sturm.

So yeah, shocked that Sturm wasn't given the Decision in his country but I felt the draw was a fair result.