Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
View Poll Results: Who ranks higher?
Ali ranks higher 24 70.59%
Louis ranks higher 10 29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Navigation

#21
Old 11-29-2011, 03:14 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 26,986
Rep Power: 70 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 29,220,116,153,800.74
Bank: 4,214,782,686,331,382.00
Total Points: 4,244,002,802,485,182.50
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest1942 View Post
Most of the guys Louis beat were also in the top 10. Infact he beat more top 10 guys than Ali.

If however you are trying to say top 10 of all time, okay.

I have Louis and if anyone has Ali its fine with me.
Did he?

I'm pretty sure Ali beat more Top 10 guys than Louis.
Reply With Quote
IronDanHamza is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#22
Old 11-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Greatest1942
Interim Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 871
Rep Power: 6 Greatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 5,037,675.24
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,037,675.24
Knowledgeable Poster, keep the posts coming! - Barnburner Great trivia I really enjoyed - rorymac 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenSonny View Post
Louis has the second best resume at HW of all time, questioning his resume is outright stupid.



Actually Ali jabbed to the body and chest.



It's insane to say he wasn't that impressive after his hiatus, considering he beat ATG heavyweights and top contenders in his comeback, arguably the most impressive wins of his career.



It doesn't damage his resume since he was far past his prime, he deserved the win over Shavers for sure anyway and the Young and Norton fights were close fights against good fighters.

You won't mention the Walcott fight for Louis?



Yet you don't mention anything about Louis' career past his prime?

That stuff becomes irrelevant when your past prime and he only really took unnecessary punishment when he was fully washed up.



Still no mention for Louis who did exactly the same thing, I don't see how it effects either fighters greatness anyway.



Yet he beat ATG heavyweights when his athletic abilities and gifts deteriorated. Wow you are a genius!



There isn't a right or wrong way to box, every gym you go to trainers teach different things, the only things that matter are effectiveness and what Ali did worked for him even when his gifts and athleticism deteriorated he was still able to beat ATG heavyweights and top contenders so your point is void.

While I might agree or disgaree with a lot you said one is false.

Louis fought past his prime because he was forced to , he was out of money.
Ali fought because he wanted to, not because he was forced to. There is a big difference between jumping to the sea out of your freewill and being pushed into it IMO.

Comparing Walcott to Leon Spinks is a bit clumsy IMO. Walcott is easily top 25 heavy, Leon is hardly top 75.

And to be fair, Louis's technique and style was more suited to ageing than Ali's was. Both were greats, which was showed by their wins against good opponents even when they were past prime.
Reply With Quote
Greatest1942 is offline
#23
Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM
bojangles1987
bo jungle
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hudson, Fl
Posts: 36,102
Rep Power: 129 bojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,277,000,349,669.36
Bank: 2,679,627,128,046.90
Total Points: 4,956,627,477,716.26
Thought ya could use a drink.. - romebyko For your triangle theory sig - rorymac merry xmas. - Ether Awesome sig... Love me some Breaking Bad. - Burning Phoenix that triangle theories sig haha - Alx. 
it takes courage just to agree to donate an organ to someone :fing02: - jose830 thanks for the update - jose830 Thanks for the video of Bradley-Provodnikov - kennylimon Cotto looked rejuvenated out there - -jose- for an atg poster! - jas 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Childhood Cancer - jas 
Default

Ali ranks above Louis for me, H2H and P4P. Head to Head I don't think there is anyone I'd pick to beat Ali 2 out of 3 or 6 out of 10, the man was just too good.

H2H Louis presents obvious problems, and was probably the best offensive fighter to ever walk the planet, but I just see Ali blunting that attack enough while very effectively using his own offense to win the fight. The athleticism would be too much, as it often was for everyone Ali fought.
Reply With Quote
bojangles1987 is offline
#24
Old 11-29-2011, 03:26 PM
bojangles1987
bo jungle
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hudson, Fl
Posts: 36,102
Rep Power: 129 bojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,277,000,349,669.36
Bank: 2,679,627,128,046.90
Total Points: 4,956,627,477,716.26
Thought ya could use a drink.. - romebyko For your triangle theory sig - rorymac merry xmas. - Ether Awesome sig... Love me some Breaking Bad. - Burning Phoenix that triangle theories sig haha - Alx. 
it takes courage just to agree to donate an organ to someone :fing02: - jose830 thanks for the update - jose830 Thanks for the video of Bradley-Provodnikov - kennylimon Cotto looked rejuvenated out there - -jose- for an atg poster! - jas 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Childhood Cancer - jas 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
I had a feeling the usual 'bum of the month' retort would arise in your response.

Either that or the good old 'Two Ton Tony Galento' argument.

Both, however, just stupid. Very very stupid.

Refer to Jab's post for a response to Bum of the month.
Sounds like a character out of a Tarantino movie.
Reply With Quote
bojangles1987 is offline
#25
Old 11-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Greatest1942
Interim Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 871
Rep Power: 6 Greatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 5,037,675.24
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,037,675.24
Knowledgeable Poster, keep the posts coming! - Barnburner Great trivia I really enjoyed - rorymac 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
Did he?

I'm pretty sure Ali beat more Top 10 guys than Louis.
If you go by distinct fighters it is Ali, if you by total number of fights its Louis.

I think you used the distinct fighters figure, which is also logical, its then 32-5 Ali and 30-3 Louis.

If using fights only its 44-3 Louis , Ali 34-5.
Reply With Quote
Greatest1942 is offline
#26
Old 11-29-2011, 03:36 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 26,986
Rep Power: 70 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 29,220,116,153,800.74
Bank: 4,214,782,686,331,382.00
Total Points: 4,244,002,802,485,182.50
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles1987 View Post
Sounds like a character out of a Tarantino movie.
It does.

Not a huge fan of Tarantino myself.
Reply With Quote
IronDanHamza is offline
#27
Old 11-29-2011, 03:44 PM
joseph5620
undisputed
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Calabasas, Calif
Posts: 5,974
Rep Power: 20 joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 12,043,005,126,880.79
Bank: 3,962,170,493,438.47
Total Points: 16,005,175,620,319.26
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest1942 View Post
While I might agree or disgaree with a lot you said one is false.

Louis fought past his prime because he was forced to , he was out of money.
Ali fought because he wanted to, not because he was forced to. There is a big difference between jumping to the sea out of your freewill and being pushed into it IMO.


Comparing Walcott to Leon Spinks is a bit clumsy IMO. Walcott is easily top 25 heavy, Leon is hardly top 75.

And to be fair, Louis's technique and style was more suited to ageing than Ali's was. Both were greats, which was showed by their wins against good opponents even when they were past prime.
What does that have to do with how they rank? How is it any different? It's irrelevant. And you don't truly know whether Ali needed the money or not so you shouldn't even speak on that. Money is a big reason for why any fighters continue to fight and if you think not you're naive.



If you don't believe me maybe Ali's words will convince you. 8:29 of the video.


Last edited by joseph5620; 11-29-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
joseph5620 is offline
#28
Old 11-29-2011, 03:58 PM
joseph5620
undisputed
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Calabasas, Calif
Posts: 5,974
Rep Power: 20 joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 12,043,005,126,880.79
Bank: 3,962,170,493,438.47
Total Points: 16,005,175,620,319.26
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenSonny View Post
Louis has the second best resume at HW of all time, questioning his resume is outright stupid.



Actually Ali jabbed to the body and chest.



It's insane to say he wasn't that impressive after his hiatus, considering he beat ATG heavyweights and top contenders in his comeback, arguably the most impressive wins of his career.



It doesn't damage his resume since he was far past his prime, he deserved the win over Shavers for sure anyway and the Young and Norton fights were close fights against good fighters.

You won't mention the Walcott fight for Louis?



Yet you don't mention anything about Louis' career past his prime?

That stuff becomes irrelevant when your past prime and he only really took unnecessary punishment when he was fully washed up.



Still no mention for Louis who did exactly the same thing, I don't see how it effects either fighters greatness anyway.



Yet he beat ATG heavyweights when his athletic abilities and gifts deteriorated. Wow you are a genius!



There isn't a right or wrong way to box, every gym you go to trainers teach different things, the only things that matter are effectiveness and what Ali did worked for him even when his gifts and athleticism deteriorated he was still able to beat ATG heavyweights and top contenders so your point is void.
Yeah I notice how that is always ignored by many as if a jab is not a punch. Ali actually went to the body a lot in this fight.




Last edited by joseph5620; 11-29-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
joseph5620 is offline
#29
Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Greatest1942
Interim Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 871
Rep Power: 6 Greatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 5,037,675.24
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,037,675.24
Knowledgeable Poster, keep the posts coming! - Barnburner Great trivia I really enjoyed - rorymac 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph5620 View Post
What does that have to do with how they rank? How is it any different? It's irrelevant. And you don't truly know whether Ali needed the money or not so you shouldn't even speak on that. Money is a big reason for why any fighters continue to fight and if you think not you're naive.



If you don't believe me maybe Ali's words will convince you. 8:29 of the video.


LOL I don't rate Ali or Louis higher because of either of it. I was responding to someone.

And about Ali I saw that interview, but I will still say whatever were the problems it wasn't never as much as Louis who was more or less compelled to fight...


To make my case simple I might have $100 of which the IRS claims $90...I might have $100 and want $110...both are me wanting money true, but the situation is different.

Joseph one last word, don't take this personally, but you really need to start reading, posts a bit more thoroughly.
Reply With Quote
Greatest1942 is offline
#30
Old 11-29-2011, 04:21 PM
joseph5620
undisputed
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Calabasas, Calif
Posts: 5,974
Rep Power: 20 joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 12,043,005,126,880.79
Bank: 3,962,170,493,438.47
Total Points: 16,005,175,620,319.26
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 
Default

[QUOTE=Greatest1942;11490092]LOL I don't rate Ali or Louis higher because of either of it. I was responding to someone.

And about Ali I saw that interview, but I will still say whatever were the problems it wasn't never as much as Louis who was more or less compelled to fight...


To make my case simple I might have $100 of which the IRS claims $90...I might have $100 and want $110...both are me wanting money true, but the situation is different.

Joseph one last word, don't take this personally, but you really need to start reading, posts a bit more thoroughly.[QUOTE]







I don't take anything here personally and I read what you said thoroughly. You responded to a post that made a point about how both looked bad when they were past prime. This was your response:





Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest1942 View Post
Louis fought past his prime because he was forced to , he was out of money.
Ali fought because he wanted to, not because he was forced to. There is a big difference between jumping to the sea out of your freewill and being pushed into it IMO.





Also, the thread title is "who ranks higher and why?" That is the topic.
Reply With Quote
joseph5620 is offline
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
louis.

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2014 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.