Conn has the better resume and standing 3 21.43%
Jones has the better resume 1 7.14%
Jones has the better p4p standing 4 28.57%
Jones has the better resume and standing 4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2011, 03:05 AM #1
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,832,338,332,388,848,640.00
Total Points: 8,832,338,332,388,879,360.00
For giving me a chance to learn from the best. - DWiens421 For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler 
Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage 
for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj 
To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship & for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Default Roy Jones vs Billy Conn (resume and p4p standing)

Very simple, who had the better resume and who rates higher p4p all time?

Jones came from an extensive amateur background that culminated in being robbed at the 1988 Olympics. As a pro he is in my opinion the most naturally gifted fighter to ever lace on a pair of gloves. The 10 best fighters he faced (in my opinion) are...

Hopkins (will go to the HOF)
Toney (will go to the HOF)
McCallum (HOF)
Griffin
Hill (will probably get in the HOF)
Johnson
Gonzalez
Ruiz
Tarver (has a slight chance to make the HOF)
Trinidad (will go to the HOF)

Billy Conn turned pro with no amateur background instead choosing to instead learn at the school of hard knocks. He is without a doubt one of the toughest, most durable and determined men to ever step foot in the ring. The 10 best fighters he faced (in my opinion) are...

Zivic (HOF)
Dundee
Yarosz (HOF)
Corbett III (HOF)
Krieger
Apostoli
Bettina
Lesnivich
Louis (HOF)
Zale (HOF)

These fighters for each are to just give a rough idea on their resumes, it is not a guideline of what you have to choose from. Their entire resumes should be looked at in detail.

I've felt for a very long time that these two greats are and will always be very close together historically in a p4p sense. I slightly lean toward Conn as the greater of the two because of his great first fight with Louis, which I consider more impressive than any of Jones wins, and because of how well he learned his trade with no amateur background. That is just my opinion though and have heard compelling arguments in the past as to why Jones should rank higher.

Vote and discuss. Poll is multiple choice.

Last edited by JAB5239; 11-22-2011 at 03:13 AM.
JAB5239 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,083,915.59
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post

Jones came from an extensive amateur background that culminated in being robbed at the 1988 Olympics. As a pro he is in my opinion the most naturally gifted fighter to ever lace on a pair of gloves. The 10 best fighters he faced (in my opinion) are...

McCallum (HOF)
Griffin
Johnson
Gonzalez
Ruiz

Billy Conn turned pro with no amateur background instead choosing to instead learn at the school of hard knocks. He is without a doubt one of the toughest, most durable and determined men to ever step foot in the ring. The 10 best fighters he faced (in my opinion) are...

Zivic (HOF)
Dundee
Yarosz (HOF)
Corbett III (HOF)
Krieger
Apostoli
Bettina
Lesnivich
Louis (HOF)
Zale (HOF)

These fighters for each are to just give a rough idea on their resumes, it is not a guideline of what you have to choose from. Their entire resumes should be looked at in detail.

I've felt for a very long time that these two greats are and will always be very close together historically in a p4p sense. I slightly lean toward Conn as the greater of the two because of his great first fight with Louis, which I consider more impressive than any of Jones wins, and because of how well he learned his trade with no amateur background. That is just my opinion though and have heard compelling arguments in the past as to why Jones should rank higher.

It is pretty close isn't it? I do edge Jones but I wouldn't argue it.

I've got a feeling that Jones would do at least as well as Conn against 'that' version of Louis. Poor Joe seemed to be having a rough day at the office that night, I gather that he dieted and didn't hydrate well before the fight because he didn't want Conn to look too small in there with him.

Granted Jones might have got knocked out late too, but he was rather more safety conscious than Conn; who bless him, decided to trade with Louis (!!!) in the final two rounds of their fight.

As for resumes it is tit for tat. I sway to Jones because he was considered pound for pound number one for the best of a decade. Conn would have been considered behind Louis in the pound for pound stakes.
Sugarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 AM #3
Interim Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,041,186.24
Knowledgeable Poster, keep the posts coming! - Barnburner Great trivia I really enjoyed - rorymac 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post

McCallum (HOF)
Griffin
Johnson
Gonzalez
Ruiz

Zivic (HOF)
Dundee
Yarosz (HOF)
Corbett III (HOF)
Krieger
Apostoli
Bettina
Lesnivich
Louis (HOF)
Zale (HOF)

Good Thread...

H2H I will go with Conn...Resume wise its near even. You can pick anybody, and I will have no qualms about it.
I do think Conn had the better chin of the two by a margin at LHW.
Greatest1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 AM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Ivansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond reputeIvansmamma has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,000,197,265.08
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Breakbeat 

I havenīt seen enought of Conn to have an opinion but his fight with Louis was great.
Ivansmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:58 PM #5
#1 Knicks Fan

BigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 327,824,055,503.62
Total Points: 529,824,342,215.72
Very Good poster. - Barnburner Keep up the good posts. - Barnburner BURRRRRRRRR! - Natedatpkid 100% solid - The Surgeon another useless dothraki clown, here savage - Ether 
Heres a Fish! - The Surgeon :) - MANIAC310 Merry Christmas - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon No problem bro, thanks.. Knicks will be fine. - Fresno 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether 

I'm more familiar with the names on Jones' resume, so it's hard for me to really judge there. From the looks of things, they had a pretty equal level of competition in regards to HOF level fighters. But just as far as the eyeball test goes, I'd have to go with Roy. From what I've seen, Conn was a very talented, tough and tricky fighter. But Jesus, Roy was like Superman in his prime. I'd have picked Roy in a head-to-head match and I have to say he has the higher p4p standing.
BigStereotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Welsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,560,555,791,426.30

Personally I think Conn's resume is far superior to RJJ's.

Conn is best known as a light-heavy, but his resume at middleweight is possibly just as good, despite never holding a world title at the weight. I'd say his resume at middleweight is better than Jones's resume at middleweight and super-middle and by quite a distance.

At light-heavyweight their resumes are quite even. I again have Conn ahead, but I can understand anyonne who ranks RJJ's light-heavy CV ahead of Conn's.

At heavyweight I don't see how RJJ's win over Ruiz can be more impressive than Conn's brave loss to Louis in their 1st meeting.

Jones won world titles in 4 weight classes to Conn's 1. But Conn's middleweight CV is better than Jones', there was no Super-Middleweight division in Conn's eras and Conn didn't have the option of taking on a weaker alphabet titleholder at heavyweight, his only option was to take on a guy who was at worst the 2nd greatest heavyweight of all time.

Conn hands down.
Welsh Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 PM #7
Interim Champion

Greatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,041,186.24
Knowledgeable Poster, keep the posts coming! - Barnburner Great trivia I really enjoyed - rorymac 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Jon View Post

Conn is best known as a light-heavy, but his resume at middleweight is possibly just as good, despite never holding a world title at the weight. I'd say his resume at middleweight is better than Jones's resume at middleweight and super-middle and by quite a distance.

At light-heavyweight their resumes are quite even. I again have Conn ahead, but I can understand anyonne who ranks RJJ's light-heavy CV ahead of Conn's.

At heavyweight I don't see how RJJ's win over Ruiz can be more impressive than Conn's brave loss to Louis in their 1st meeting.

Jones won world titles in 4 weight classes to Conn's 1. But Conn's middleweight CV is better than Jones', there was no Super-Middleweight division in Conn's eras and Conn didn't have the option of taking on a weaker alphabet titleholder at heavyweight, his only option was to take on a guy who was at worst the 2nd greatest heavyweight of all time.

Conn hands down.
Agreed, Conn was good at heavy where resume is better. Also was very good at middle, and great at Light Heavy...

I will give him the tick on both resume and H2H vs Roy Jones.
Greatest1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 PM #8
undisputed

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,055,022,572,743,726.50
Total Points: 4,067,065,577,983,499.00
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
loves muhammad's c0ck - Weltschmerz 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Jon View Post

Conn hands down.
That's interesting. Who did Conn beat at 160 far superior to Bernard Hopkins or James Toney?
joseph5620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 PM #9
undisputed

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,055,022,572,743,726.50
Total Points: 4,067,065,577,983,499.00
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
loves muhammad's c0ck - Weltschmerz 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStereotype View Post
I'm more familiar with the names on Jones' resume, so it's hard for me to really judge there. From the looks of things, they had a pretty equal level of competition in regards to HOF level fighters. But just as far as the eyeball test goes, I'd have to go with Roy. From what I've seen, Conn was a very talented, tough and tricky fighter. But Jesus, Roy was like Superman in his prime. I'd have picked Roy in a head-to-head match and I have to say he has the higher p4p standing.
That's what I see when looking at both of them fight. When you look at them head to head Jones had more in his arsenal. Along with the blinding speed Jones had power that Conn never had at any weight. Head to head, pound for pound, I would go with Jones.
joseph5620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:36 PM #10
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 378 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,832,338,332,388,848,640.00
Total Points: 8,832,338,332,388,879,360.00
For giving me a chance to learn from the best. - DWiens421 For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler 
Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage 
for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj 
To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph5620 View Post
That's interesting. Who did Conn beat at 160 far superior to Bernard Hopkins or James Toney?
Nobody. But his resume between 147.1 and 167.9 has far more depth overall.
JAB5239 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
(resume, billy, conn, jones, standing)

User Tag List