How Good Was Tommy Uren ???? - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 10-16-2011, 05:29 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,596,418.36
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 
Post How Good Was Tommy Uren ????

The Forgotten TOMMY UREN.
How Good a Fighter Was Tommy Uren ??... could you name two or three fighters who you would rate UREN as of a similar calibre. Tommy Uren is more well known for his political career,... this thread has no interest in that part,,..... just his boxing career, and his standing as a world class fighter who had scored some very impressive scalps. Among the very good pros that Uren fought were Jimmy Clabby - W 4, L 1, D 1,.(draw ; win pts 15 ; win pts 20 ; win pts 20 ; loss pts 20 ; win pts 20),..Fritz Holland - W 2, L 2, (win pts 20 ; loss pts 20 ; win pts 20 ; loss pts 20),... Eddie McGoorty (win pts 20),.... Herb McCoy (win KO 4 ; loss pts 20 ; loss pts 20 ; win DQ 6),.... his biggest rivalry was with Fred Kay, with 8 fights with honours about even. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tommy Uren usually gave away a fair weight advantage in most of his big fights during his prime (about 4 years 1915 - 1919)... Tommy was a WW who had to go into the MW division for the big fights. Uren wasn't a big puncher, even for a WW, but he was a very skillfull fighter, to get a better idea of how he fought we need to go to source newspaper reports for information of his fights I will post links for that. As far as I know there has never been a decent attempt at a small biography of this man who is in the Australian Hall Of fame. Tommy seems to have been a very tough fighter but by 1920, Tommy is slipping badly and he seems to suddenly be vulnerable to being knocked out, maybe his chin went, I don't know, but I will attempt to find out more about this remarkable Aussie Battler on this thread as I read through the sources, I don't in any way claim him to be an ATG, but he was certainly a top-notch fighter in his prime. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Among other things, Tommy Uren was a very good Rugby League player, who played in the big-time, for Manly-Warringah (the devil-team),.... Unfortunately, Tommy Uren is more well known for being a POW of the Japanese in WWII. Unlike most fighters, Tommy Uren had a full and complete life, a man who had at least 4 lifetimes worth of experience, and was a very successful man,,,,, who in the major part of later years as a Member of Parliament. I'm surprised Australians don't seem to remember his contributions these days........ One remarkable life indeed/
McGoorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-16-2011, 05:30 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...VjYtFCC47bHPvg
Old 10-16-2011, 05:32 PM #3
Undisputed Champion

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...AbLX0ZPMm4GDuQ
Old 10-16-2011, 05:40 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

This writer says that Tommy Uren is a better fighter than Aussie great Vic Patrick. Now Patrick was great southpaw and a vicious puncher and if Uren is that good he must have been very good. (apparently he's more of a LW too).. I may have miscounted the Fred Kay fights.... 9 instead of 8 ???
Old 10-16-2011, 05:42 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...lBo15Asr9yMAkw
Old 10-16-2011, 05:44 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...83kEuR5xTI918w
Old 10-16-2011, 05:45 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...2B0gbzABbiDGBQ
Old 10-16-2011, 05:46 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Yl7cYbvZTvW8hQ
Old 10-16-2011, 05:47 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...GKn3DnU1ba9uXw
Old 10-16-2011, 05:53 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...Bi3XfuSvuA9O7Q

Share This With Friends

Tags
????, good, tommy, uren

User Tag List