Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
View Poll Results: Fighters Heart..are you born with it or can acquire it??
You are born with it! 10 34.48%
You can acquire it! 19 65.52%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 AM
J.Dempsey
Boards...don't hit back!

Rep Power: 8 J.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 16,383,318,578,505.01
Total Points: 16,383,318,578,527.14
Default FIGHTERS HEART...are you born with it or can you attain it??? (POLL)

what do you guys think?

Can you train yourself to have more heart? Or is this something you are born with?

Anyone got any examples?

I think I have acquired more heart since the first time I sparred...I done this by pushing myself and gritting my teeth while taking a beating...when I get that feeling to quit I think 'its supposed to feel like this' and make it feel 'normal' as I think that its when you are uncomfortable with that 'near death' feeling that you quit..
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,078,323.37
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

A man can gain heart and lose heart.

Cowards can become heros and heros can become cowards. Wimps into winners and winners into wimps.

Boxers are human beings, not machines......and can be subject to all sorts of pressures.

These aren't Cus D'Amato quotes!!!!! Ha ha

There are plenty examples in history of fighters branded as quitters demonstrating tremendous heart in future bouts. But sadly there are also fighters who were real warriors who quit in bouts that were not going their way.

The first examples to jump to mind are the following

Nigel Benn was an amazing warrior, biggest heart in the world. Showed this in many a fight, but non more than against Gerald McClellan in 1995. You could believe he'd give his life in the heat of battle. However, in 1996 he tamely retired on his stool in the return against Steve Collins.

In contrast Cruiserweight Johnny Nelson was labelled as someone who blew his chances in big fights by not committing, running, holding and not throwing punches. Basically fighting like a wet lettuce. But he more than gained respect closing out his career as cruiserweight champion.

In short, you can gain heart with your own desire to perform or win. But it can be lost too.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 PM
J.Dempsey
Boards...don't hit back!

Rep Power: 8 J.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 16,383,318,578,505.01
Total Points: 16,383,318,578,527.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post

Cowards can become heros and heros can become cowards. Wimps into winners and winners into wimps.

Boxers are human beings, not machines......and can be subject to all sorts of pressures.

There are plenty examples in history of fighters branded as quitters demonstrating tremendous heart in future bouts. But sadly there are also fighters who were real warriors who quit in bouts that were not going their way.

Nigel Benn was an amazing warrior, biggest heart in the world. Showed this in many a fight, but non more than against Gerald McClellan in 1995. You could believe he'd give his life in the heat of battle. However, in 1996 he tamely retired on his stool in the return against Steve Collins.

In contrast Cruiserweight Johnny Nelson was labelled as someone who blew his chances in big fights by not committing, running, holding and not throwing punches. Basically fighting like a wet lettuce. But he more than gained respect closing out his career as cruiserweight champion.

In short, you can gain heart with your own desire to perform or win. But it can be lost too.
gd response bro, green K
Old 10-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Dempsey View Post
gd response bro, green K
Cheers bud
Old 10-13-2011, 02:08 PM
BulgariasFinest
warrior

Rep Power: 5 BulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond reputeBulgariasFinest has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 172,880,275,146,994.91
Total Points: 172,880,275,149,764.56
Great poster. - dancovboxer For luck - rorymac For the Sig Thanks! - Lazerjab A classy poster - led Here's one right back for having the balls to try and understand that stupid bitch!! - Pretty Boy1 
you deserve more of these - Alx. Merry Christmas to you and yours bro! - jose830 Happy new year to you too :D - Terrel anytime bro! cheers!!! - jose830 . - PAC-BOY 
Glad you agree with me thanks for the rep - hectari 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post

Great post. Green from me also
Old 10-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgariasFinest View Post
Great post. Green from me also
Some real Gents in the training section today. Cheers
Old 10-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Juof
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 16 Juof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 11,490,809,265,215.52
Total Points: 15,391,159,444,383.67
No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 
No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 
here bro! I'll start off your next row. - jose830 you only need 3 more now to complete your gifts. I got you. - codey No Message - codey No Message - codey No Message - codey 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jamiegeorge91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jamiegeorge91 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jamiegeorge91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jamiegeorge91 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jamiegeorge91 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jamiegeorge91 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jamiegeorge91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jamiegeorge91 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jamiegeorge91 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jamiegeorge91 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jamiegeorge91 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jamiegeorge91 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jamiegeorge91 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jamiegeorge91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jamiegeorge91 

what sugarj said is correct, kind of reminds me when ortiz quit against maidana then when he fought berto he had that look in his eye saying no matter what you throw at me i am not backing down and he kept getting up after being knocked down.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:54 AM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
what sugarj said is correct, kind of reminds me when ortiz quit against maidana then when he fought berto he had that look in his eye saying no matter what you throw at me i am not backing down and he kept getting up after being knocked down.
Funnily enough I was going to use the Ortiz example.

God only knows what sort of heart he'll show in future bouts after the Mayweather debacle.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:13 AM
#1Assassin
Conveyor of Truth

Rep Power: 23 #1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,632,067,111.89
Total Points: 14,716,328,055.11
one of boxingscene's very worst posters - Freedom. one of boxingscene's very best posters - Barnburner What you said about Dempsey was real talk! - Atreyu Khalil you are one of THOSE terrible posters - Earl Hickey Eternal partnership,to MaryJane! - HughJass 
great advice in training forum - jas 

you can no doubt gain or lose heart. its mental more than anything, confidence and determination can be won or lost. and tougness can be both gained by experience or faded with time.