Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Closed Thread
Thread Navigation

Old 10-12-2011, 09:52 PM
MexicanPoster
Banned

Rep Power: 0 MexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 25,042,870.23
Talking “BELIEVE IT OR NOT” BLACK FIGHTERS DON’T DRAW! ,, (by Pedro Fernandez)

***8220;BELIEVE IT OR NOT***8221; BLACK FIGHTERS DON***8217;T DRAW!
October 10th, 2011
By Pedro Fernandez

Bernard Hopkins-Chad Dawson
***8220;BELIEVE IT OR NOT***8221; TWO BLACK GUYS TOP LOS ANGELES CARD

San Francisco, CA- Having been at this a while, I am always questioning the motives and intentions of both promoters and fighters alike. That is what makes me different from the norm, as in some instances I just throw out the ***8220;who, what, where and when***8221; format journalism is based on and head in another direction.

That being said, I am beyond perplexed that reigning World light heavyweight (175 lbs) champ Bernard Hopkins (52-5-2, 32 KOs) will meet Chad Dawson (30-1, 17 KOs) in the City of Angels, Los Angeles, CA this Saturday night on an HBO telecast emanating from the Staples Center on a card that is dubbed, ***8220;Believe It Or Not.***8221;

BLACKS DON***8217;T DRAW OR BUY DUCATS UNLESS***8230;

Fighters of African-American descent that can draw a huge gate are a rarity. Right now, I can already hear the seething of Blacks thinking that I***8217;m taking a shot at them ethnically from the headline of this paragraph. But it is true, Bernard Hopkins couldn***8217;t draw, not unless he was fighting Oscar De La Hoya or Felix Trinidad.

If you attended any of Hopkins***8217; defenses of the middleweight title, you know where I***8217;m coming from. Oh, there are exceptions, Muhammad Ali, Ray Leonard and Mike Tyson could sell out arenas, regardless of whom they were fighting. Evander Holyfield and George Foreman, not so much. The only African-American fighter that can pack a joint today is Floyd Mayweather!

DAWSON COULDN***8217;T DRAW 35 MILES FROM HOME

In 2009, Dawson took on Glen Johnson in Hartford, CT, which is roughly 35 miles from his home of New Haven, CT and reportedly drew less than 1,000 paid. Hopkins on the other hand, I can***8217;t think of a time when he sold out any arena, ever, on his own, not even fighting near his home base of Philadelphia, PA.

CAN ONLY MEXICAN STARS DRAW IN LOS ANGELES?

There are two Mexican fighters on the bill, the first is Mexican national Antonio DeMarco (25-2-1, 18 KOs) of Tijuana taking on Jorge Linares (31-1, 20 KOs) of Venezuela. The second, Orlando Mora (28-1-1, 19 KOs) of Culiacan, will face Brooklyn***8217;s Paulie Malignaggi (29-4, 6 KOs).

Neither Mora or DeMarco are really big names, so what is the lure hear to get Mexican***8217;s to buy tickets that top off at $300 and bottom out at $25?

Unbeaten Mexican sensation Saul Alvarez had a great crowd at the Staples Center a fortnight ago when HBO split the Floyd Mayweather-Victor Ortiz Pay Per View card that resulted in Floyd putting out Ortiz in Las Vegas, while Alvarez stopped Alfonso Gomez at the Staples Center.

SO WHY IS THE AFOREMENTIONED TRUE?

When I promoted cards in San Francisco, I could never count on a huge Black turnout. Without putting him on the spot here, a Hall of Fame promoter told me that ***8220;Black fighters don***8217;t draw***8221; and ***8220;Blacks don***8217;t buy fight tickets,***8221; that is the rule and not the exception.

Hell, all that being said, who is going to take the apparent financial bath this Saturday night when Hopkins-Dawson takes place at the Staples Center.

http://ringtalk.com/bernard-hopkins-...staples-center

Last edited by MexicanPoster; 10-13-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 PM
MexicanPoster
Banned

Rep Power: 0 MexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these partsMexicanPoster is infamous around these parts

Floyd barely drew 850,000 PPV buys when he fought Ortiz.
and this was done with the help of PPV Draws-Morales, and Saul "canelo" Alvarez on the undercard.

If Morales and Canelo Alvarez had not fought on the undercar, the Floyd vs Ortiz PPV event would've sold about 500,000 PPV Buys instead.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 PM
onechance87
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 34 onechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 526,627,864,233.97
Total Points: 638,836,939,655.31
up your as* puto - Ogecca MaMa you need more gifts, have a beer - sugarsmosley 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 

blacks are some of the worst fans ever.Dont try to deny it.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Spray_resistant
Chris Keller of B-scene

Rep Power: 108 Spray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 26,707,363,320.69
Total Points: 6,037,863,974,993.56
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest for you and vanity to use - Hi-Dro 
Whoreville Appreciation Award - Jack Napier for a friend - xi! one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. Happy Holidays to you are your gorgeous missus. x x x - *Boss Lady* Happy New Year - Freedom. 
No Message - Tha_Greatest Blue parallelogram 4 u sir - Russian Crushin Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy holidays bro! - led* valuable addition to the training forum - jas 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- 
Send a message via AIM to Spray_resistant

Its nothing wrong with them or what they are doing, we are I assume talking about black American fighters yes?

Its not as if there is an entire country composed of that group with its own national identity like Mexico or PR for ex.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
onechance87
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 34 onechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond reputeonechance87 has a reputation beyond repute

soto ducked rios as well
Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
DoktorSleepless
DoktorWakeless

Rep Power: 30 DoktorSleepless has a reputation beyond reputeDoktorSleepless has a reputation beyond reputeDoktorSleepless has a reputation beyond reputeDoktorSleepless has a reputation beyond reputeDoktorSleepless has a reputation beyond reputeDoktorSleepless has a reputation beyond reputeDoktorSleepless has a reputation beyond reputeDoktorSleepless has a reputation beyond reputeDoktorSleepless has a reputation beyond reputeDoktorSleepless has a reputation beyond reputeDoktorSleepless has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,107,972,024,327.22
cheers brother! - jose830 Thanks for posting that great fight - Libido Sanchez You're the Man! - SCEN3RY The GO-TO Medal! Given to those who report to duty! (1/20) LIMITED EDITION. - Golovkin have a beer - sugarsmosley 
Knows his stuff - jas 

How many seats will the Staple Center be setup for Hopkins vs Dawson? Are they making it smaller somehow? Staples Center is too huge of a place not to have a full crowd, otherwise it's going to be embarrassing.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Mr. Fantastic
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Mr. Fantastic has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Fantastic has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Fantastic has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Fantastic has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Fantastic has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Fantastic has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Fantastic has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Fantastic has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Fantastic has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Fantastic has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Fantastic has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 20,557,360,039,827.33
Total Points: 20,557,360,314,128.31
good poster - Gift Of Gab It's all good homey - mangler bravo..one round of beer on me - strugler Chicano79us LOVES B-Hop - El Dominicano A gift for the pretty chicana. - Jim Jeffries 
A toast, to all your sexy avatars - mangler Round 2 on me! - jazluvr449 Here's the beer you owe me...lol. - jazluvr449 To the chapters of rivalry - andyp513 have a beer homey - -MAKAVELLI- 
It's on me, buddy! =D - TintaBoricua stick it up your ass :) - heat27 stop crying - heat27 great poster, here give this to all of those floyd fans who keep hating lmao - cawadoody Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 
one of the best posters - MANIAC310 nice true and informative sig - thuggery you don't like Cotto, i don't like Margarito...that said...i give you respect for your avi :fing02: - jose830 and your sig speaks the truth! - jose830 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - .::WaRCoTTo::. Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr449 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - dj emz Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - I'm so sorry 

To be honest boxing in America would of been in the shit hole much much deeper if it weren't for Mexican and Puerto Rican fans.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 PM
onechance87
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray_resistant View Post
Its nothing wrong with them or what they are doing, we are I assume talking about black American fighters yes?

Its not as if there is an entire country composed of that group with its own national identity like Mexico or PR for ex.
???????????????
Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 PM
MexicanPoster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray_resistant View Post

They're more into basketball figures like Kobe, etc.

In boxing, there are no big names that they want to see.

Mike Tyson was the last Black fighter to really draw.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:07 PM
-Kev-
Hype Beast

Rep Power: 109 -Kev- has a reputation beyond repute-Kev- has a reputation beyond repute-Kev- has a reputation beyond repute-Kev- has a reputation beyond repute-Kev- has a reputation beyond repute-Kev- has a reputation beyond repute-Kev- has a reputation beyond repute-Kev- has a reputation beyond repute-Kev- has a reputation beyond repute-Kev- has a reputation beyond repute-Kev- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 44,158,398,894,712.06
Total Points: 44,158,399,040,616.03
thx m8! heres another good fruit for your smoothy - negged Here's for the 15K bro. - led* One more. Just don't tell your mom. - led* Early birthday shout. Have a great one, bro. - Libido Sanchez Best of the best - BoxingGenius27 
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Holidays -Kev- - !! AI-Holmes!! Merry Christmas Kev. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw B-day - -Mustang- mighty parallelogram for your birthday - Jack Napier 
Kristen Kreuk will jump out of this cake - Jack Napier happy birthday. - Terrel Have a great one - led* Happy New Year sweetheart! - Lorily Lol @ image. - FeFist 
Long Island Iced Tea! - Dorian Parallelogram - Spray_resistant lol - -jose- &lt;3 u bro - sugarsmosley I'm still here... u still mad :lol1: - Hype job 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -veteran420- AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - aye, cunts AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -veteran420- AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - aye, cunts AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -veteran420- 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -veteran420- AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - aye, cunts AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -veteran420- AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - aye, cunts AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -veteran420- 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -Kev- AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -Kev- 
Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Ether Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Ether Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Dorian 

The most popular boxers throughout boxing history have been black.

Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis, Mohammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Mike Tyson, and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

My point is.

It's only fair that blacks are not always the biggest draws, there has to be other boxers drawing fans to the sport. Are blacks suppose to do everything? The biggest draw in boxing is black, the second biggest is Pinoy, the third biggest is up to debate maybe Cotto, who's Puerto Rican. Does it have to be Mayweather, Hopkins, Ward, Dawson, Dirrell the biggest draws in boxing?

I am happy that there's different fighters from different nationalities who draw fans to the sport.
Closed Thread