Jack Sharkey - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Thread Navigation

Old 10-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Perfect Plex
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 11 Perfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 4,277,008.13
For your contributions to the History Section - Barnburner Stay safe - rorymac Good thread - rorymac 
Default Jack Sharkey

Whats your take on him?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-12-2011, 10:05 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,050,587,962.36
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Plex View Post
Whats your take on him?
A very good HW,... very tough and durable,... not as big a hitter as one might expect from his build,... he looks to be pretty smart,... knows all the tricks,... hard to stop, and at one time was the champ, I think maybe his greatest performance was in losing to Dempsey, the fight was controversial, and I think Sharkey was going well up to that last round. He must rate on a par with his namesake Tom. lastly at his prime he was very close in ability to the other top HW's and it was a toss up between he and Schmeling..... he must be rated very close to both Maxies. I think Jack would be in the top 4 HW's if he was around today, and P4P certainly #1 HW if he was here now.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 AM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Rep Power: 44 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,568,015,645,127.00
Total Points: 7,569,015,947,627.98
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Highly skilled, his mentality under pressure was questioned. More of a defensive boxer than an offensive one for the most part, although he could pull off both roles. Despite a poor KO record, he had a decent punch. The reason he didn't score more KO's is because he fought an extremely high level of competition, percentage wise facing more top 10 contenders than any other heavyweight.

Good upperbody movement, a solid jab and counter-punching ability. One of the first self-promoters in boxing and also one of the first to predict rounds in which he would win. Famous for KO'ing two of the top light heavyweights of the era, Delaney and Loughran, in devastating fashion. Seemed to rapidly lose interest in boxing during the early 1930's. Many boxing experts of the era believed him to be the most skilled boxer of the post-Tunney/Dempsey era when focused.

This is a great early performance of his, arguably at the peak of his career:

More highlights:

Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,050,587,962.36
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Highly skilled, his mentality under pressure was questioned. More of a defensive boxer than an offensive one for the most part, although he could pull off both roles. Despite a poor KO record, he had a decent punch. The reason he didn't score more KO's is because he fought an extremely high level of competition, percentage wise facing more top 10 contenders than any other heavyweight.

Good upperbody movement, a solid jab and counter-punching ability. One of the first self-promoters in boxing and also one of the first to predict rounds in which he would win. Famous for KO'ing two of the top light heavyweights of the era, Delaney and Loughran, in devastating fashion. Seemed to rapidly lose interest in boxing during the early 1930's. Many boxing experts of the era believed him to be the most skilled boxer of the post-Tunney/Dempsey era when focused.

More highlights:

What would we do without you man........... I dip's me lid.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,083,704.52
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post

More highlights:

I loved his head movement: 53 secs - 59 secs.

Come to think of it, the film quality is excellent for the year, the fighters really move well. You can see the skill level.

To come across something of this quality for Harry Greb would be a gem.

Last edited by Sugarj; 10-12-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Share This With Friends

Tags
jack, sharkey

User Tag List