Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
View Poll Results: Who would win?
Pernell Whitaker 29 65.91%
Floyd Mayweather jr 16 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 AM
wmute
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 31 wmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 14,828,039,655.72
Total Points: 14,828,237,626.82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcov View Post
When two defensive fighters meet it makes for slow fights. Still Whitaker is in another class.
Ridiculous statement.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-05-2011, 03:20 AM
wmute
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 31 wmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemurphy View Post
Whitaker was a little bit faster IMO, but to be bluntly honest the result would depend on whether your talking Whitaker pre-Crack Pipe and Booze.
I sometimes think that is really what most ppl refer to here as Pea at 35, Floyd at 47.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,077,712.75
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmute View Post
I think jabbing if Pea jabs would be the simple thing to do, especially with a reach advantage, and Floyd would not fail to do so. And i don't see that jabbing contest last very long.

I'd agree, that would be the best strategy for Floyd.

Problem is, I'd fancy that Whitaker's jab might just be that shade faster than Floyd's, it could be difficult to time and he tended to throw it in twos and threes.......which is something that Floyd rarely does.

Floyd does have a superb jab when he really uses it.....to head and body. It certainly looks to have more weight behind it than Whitaker's. It just seems to me that Floyd could use the jab much more in certain fights where I would expect it to be key.

Maybe, it would form part of his strategy for Whitaker. But its a nasty matchup for him regardless.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:40 PM
wmute
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
I'd agree, that would be the best strategy for Floyd.

Problem is, I'd fancy that Whitaker's jab might just be that shade faster than Floyd's, it could be difficult to time and he tended to throw it in twos and threes.......which is something that Floyd rarely does.

Floyd does have a superb jab when he really uses it.....to head and body. It certainly looks to have more weight behind it than Whitaker's. It just seems to me that Floyd could use the jab much more in certain fights where I would expect it to be key.

Maybe, it would form part of his strategy for Whitaker. But its a nasty matchup for him regardless.
I think the speed would be compensated by arm length and that's why he would use it if needed. Just as PBF can neglect jabbing with most of his opposition, Pea could act regardless of reach disadvantages with most of his opposition, but they would be very different beasts than what they are used to. In my mind the jabs would neglect each other, so they would both be looking for other ways to win, and credible alternatives are for PBF to come forward and Pea to stay close, that's why i don't think it would be boring.

This should favor Pea, and I would bet on him, if only he had PBF's ability to focus and not clown around. Too bad he does not, so while I would pick Pea to win if forced to pick someone, I would not put money on this fight.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM
joseph5620
undisputed

Rep Power: 20 joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,333,287,208,496.53
Total Points: 13,376,292,325,732.24
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemurphy View Post
Whitaker was a little bit faster IMO, but to be bluntly honest the result would depend on whether your talking Whitaker pre-Crack Pipe and Booze.
I'm using Whitaker during his his best period at 147 which would be the Chavez and McGirt fights. I don't believe he had a drug problem during that period. In my opinion Mayweather is better at 147 than Whitaker was. After further reviewing this, I would favor Mayweather at 140-147. But it's definitely Whitaker at 135. I would have a hard time picking any fighter in history to beat Whitaker at 135.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,077,712.75
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmute View Post
I think the speed would be compensated by arm length and that's why he would use it if needed. Just as PBF can neglect jabbing with most of his opposition, Pea could act regardless of reach disadvantages with most of his opposition, but they would be very different beasts than what they are used to. In my mind the jabs would neglect each other, so they would both be looking for other ways to win, and credible alternatives are for PBF to come forward and Pea to stay close, that's why i don't think it would be boring.

This should favor Pea, and I would bet on him, if only he had PBF's ability to focus and not clown around. Too bad he does not, so while I would pick Pea to win if forced to pick someone, I would not put money on this fight.

Yep, definitely not one I'd be betting on! Although I might chance a fiver on the draw at 33:1.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Barn
TheTartanSoldier

Rep Power: 45 Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 326,870,262,138,166.44
Total Points: 327,764,173,619,732.75
Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 Merry Crimbo! - The Surgeon To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A Your 4000th post and you quoted me, I'm honoured! Happy 4k :wave: - *Boss Lady* 4 the uploads! - chiguy91 
Congrats on 5K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 well deserved - the collector For the massive amount of points given - MindBat Merry X-mas Lad! Have a good un! - The Surgeon 
Happy New Year - Freedom. You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS 
Happy birthday! Hope you have a good one. - dan_cov Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 what up homie...just incase I want you to know I had nothing to do with that thread title change that's your thread bro - -jose- :love: - -jose- For the help buddy - Badzi87 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Pernell at 135, Floyd at 147. Both in close fights.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Rep Power: 57 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 52,654,999,957,985.17
Total Points: 52,654,999,960,257.57
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ziggy Stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenechJeff View Post
these two monkeys
Reported for racism ,,!,,
Old 10-06-2011, 04:10 PM
BigStereotype
#1 Knicks Fan

Rep Power: 54 BigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 243,578,102,083.76
Total Points: 445,578,316,587.07
Very Good poster. - Barnburner Keep up the good posts. - Barnburner BURRRRRRRRR! - Natedatpkid 100% solid - The Surgeon another useless dothraki clown, here savage - Ether 
Heres a Fish! - The Surgeon :) - MANIAC310 Merry Christmas - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon No problem bro, thanks.. Knicks will be fine. - Fresno 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendom View Post
If anybody could it would be Pernell Whitaker
My take on the fight exactly. Close, hard to score, not very casual fan friendly (but with a lot to pick apart for us boxing nerds) - and Whitaker coming out on top.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
BigStereotype
#1 Knicks Fan

Rep Power: 54 BigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 243,578,102,083.76
Total Points: 445,578,316,587.07
Very Good poster. - Barnburner Keep up the good posts. - Barnburner BURRRRRRRRR! - Natedatpkid 100% solid - The Surgeon another useless dothraki clown, here savage - Ether 
Heres a Fish! - The Surgeon :) - MANIAC310 Merry Christmas - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon No problem bro, thanks.. Knicks will be fine. - Fresno 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post
Reported for racism ,,!,,
How has this joker not been banned yet? Every day, I seem him calling a black fighter some kind of racial slur. Not even like veiled racism, just good, old-fashioned hick racism.