No announcement yet.

When did boxing go downhill?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did boxing go downhill?

How did the sport of boxing take such a dive from the heights that Mike Tyson had brought it to in the late 80s? For me, it was all about Tyson. The rape allegations against him robbed the sport of its greatest showman. We were then subjected to Buster Douglas losing in pitiful fashion to Tyson's planned opponent, Evander Holyfield. This completely killed the excitement from Douglas' knockout of Tyson in Japan and made it seem like a fluke win.

Tyson's comeback was inspirational and he brought back some flare in the heavyweight division. The first fight against Holyfield was classic and he was beaten by the better man on the night. However, the second fight produced the infamous "ear bite", which revealed to the world how violent boxing can be. This was not a champion overcoming the odds to obtain the ultimate glory. This was an animal losing his temper and viciously assaulting his opponent. It was the darkest day in boxing history and severely damaged the sport up to this day.

i agree. After the demise of tyson in 1990 and 1996, boxing took a very sharp turn downhill. Heavyweight boxing is crap now, and most people don't even know who is the heavyweight champion at this very moment lol!

Comment

i think from the day lennox lewis retired. i think boxing shined again after holyfield came in scene and later lennix lewis. so maybe earlier 90 and from earlier 2000

Comment

Boxings downfall began with the creation of the television and then the many fights that were broadcast during the week.

I know what you are thinking already, tv did not bring about boxings downfall. I watch them on the tube every chance that I get. The television, with the comforts of sitting at home watching killed the local club show.

With the television now showing up to 3 nights of fights on the television in the 1950's the club shows began to take a hit in attendance and gate receipts.

With this, the local fighters began to find it hard to find a place to ply their trade and make a living. The promoters also found it hard to make any money promoting these bouts. But moreover, the general public no longer made pilgrimages to the live bouts opting instead to sit at home and view the bout.

T.V killed the local boxing star!!!!!!

Rockin'

Comment

nope, tv hyped it up gave it more publicity.

Comment

when boxing promoters signed with HBO and other channels, they took away the writers believing they didnt need them but writers always kept boxing alive.

Comment

the heavyweight divison at the moment is very dull and boring, no amount of publicity can make it more interesting, unless another ali or tyson comes along

Comment

Originally posted by fistlegend
                the heavyweight divison at the moment is very dull and boring, no amount of publicity can make it more interesting, unless another ali or tyson comes along
                i agree. even if the fighters now are good there needs to be someone to save the sport. someone special, who can have the potential to be an all-time great. someone, fast, someone pretty. someone like.... muhammad ali! if another ali-type fighter comes along with ali-type personality and charisma, and wins and unifies the hw titles, boxing will be saved and more people would show interest. look at how much people wanted to watch golf when tiger woods came along. boxing needs a phenom like that!

a heavy hitter such as foreman, liston, or tyson will do nicely as well. however, they need to be flayboyant to attract viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
                  i agree. even if the fighters now are good there needs to be someone to save the sport. someone special, who can have the potential to be an all-time great. someone, fast, someone pretty. someone like.... muhammad ali! if another ali-type fighter comes along with ali-type personality and charisma, and wins and unifies the hw titles, boxing will be saved and more people would show interest. look at how much people wanted to watch golf when tiger woods came along. boxing needs a phenom like that!

a heavy hitter such as foreman, liston, or tyson will do nicely as well. however, they need to be flayboyant to attract viewers.
                  definetly, they have to be like ali, 'i talk to interviewers until their fingers are sore', they have to have ali's pace/speed , his heart and tysons ferocious power and louis's accuracy.

if this came along everyone will get really interested and get into the hype, RESTORE BOXING TO ITS FORMER GLORY

Comment

finally, i am getting intelligent replies from intelligent boxing enthusiasts, and not stupid replies bashing me about my intelligence from people like duncanjl. fistlegend, thanks a million!

Comment

Working...
                    X