Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: How does the result of Mayweather/Ortiz affect Mayweather's Legacy?
Enhances Mayweather's Legacy. 24 30.38%
Takes Away from Mayweather's Legacy. 27 34.18%
Has No Affect on Mayweather's Legacy. 28 35.44%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Navigation

#71
Old 09-26-2011, 04:59 PM
joseph5620
undisputed
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Calabasas, Calif
Posts: 5,922
Rep Power: 20 joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 12,043,005,122,854.43
Bank: 2,367,711,009,850.01
Total Points: 14,410,716,132,704.44
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWoodside View Post
Exactly per what you quoted, I said "for the most part legacy is decided by fan and people's perception of a fighters career." While yes a poll on NSB can be somewhat of an indicator of public perception. At NO TIME did I say legacy is determined by an NSB poll.
Listen, Jack Dempsey did dirtier things in the ring than Mayweather. Has that defined his legacy? No. Roberto Duran did dirtier things including a blatant low blow to win his first championship. Add to that Duran once quit in the middle of a fight out of frustration. That does not define his legacy. In fact he's more popular than ever now. Many of the people voting in NSB will vote one way with an agenda no matter what the outcome. So when you say this vote is an "indicator" it really isn't because it does not represent the entire boxing community. It only represents a segment.



As it stands most of the professional boxers, trainers, and pundits I've seen interviewed do not have problem with what Mayweather and are unsympathetic towards Ortiz.. If you are disappointed as a fan, that's understandable. If you say it was "bad sportsmanship" OK.But to imply that this fight somehow defines his standing in history is ridiculous. Especially when Mayweather didn't do anything illegal and Ortiz was dirty(and stupid) himself.

Last edited by joseph5620; 09-26-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
joseph5620 is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#72
Old 09-26-2011, 05:00 PM
DrewWoodside
Lifestyle..Regular!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Woodside, Queens
Posts: 9,853
Rep Power: 31 DrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,372,344.86
Bank: 2,235,859,556.16
Total Points: 2,246,231,901.02
your gift shelf looks empty...lets add some liquor - Makavelli pinoys arent allowed to just drink and give one beer...here's one more - Makavelli 3 beers are better than 2 - Makavelli and 4 is better than 3 - Makavelli more beer - Makavelli 
Something to snack on while you watch it all go down. - danny711 Nice to see you Drew - deanrw 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
great...it became a Jordan convo
"Jordan's Push" is probably the best paralel possible for debating and better understanding this topic. Everyone should be happy Zelenoff's Hartley KO isn't a talking point! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxumQTjBLgY
Reply With Quote
DrewWoodside is offline
#73
Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 PM
DrewWoodside
Lifestyle..Regular!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Woodside, Queens
Posts: 9,853
Rep Power: 31 DrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,372,344.86
Bank: 2,235,859,556.16
Total Points: 2,246,231,901.02
your gift shelf looks empty...lets add some liquor - Makavelli pinoys arent allowed to just drink and give one beer...here's one more - Makavelli 3 beers are better than 2 - Makavelli and 4 is better than 3 - Makavelli more beer - Makavelli 
Something to snack on while you watch it all go down. - danny711 Nice to see you Drew - deanrw 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph5620 View Post
Listen, Jack Dempsey did dirtier things in the ring than Mayweather. Has that defined his legacy? No. Roberto Duran did dirtier things including a blatant low blow to win his first championship. Add to that Duran once quit in the middle of a fight out of frustration. That does not define his legacy. In fact he's more popular than ever now. Many of the people voting in NSB will vote one way with an agenda no matter what the outcome. So when you say this vote is an "indicator" it really isn't because it does not represent the entire boxing community. It only represents a segment.



As it stands most of the professional boxers, trainers, and pundits I've seen interviewed do not have problem with what Mayweather and are unsympathetic with Ortiz.. If you are disappointed as a fan, that's understandable. If you say it was "bad sportsmanship" OK.But to imply that this fight somehow defines his standing in history is ridiculous. Especially when Mayweather didn't do anything illegal and Ortiz was dirty(and stupid) himself.
I agree with everything you are saying, but I'm not saying the KO punch defines Mayweather's standing in history. I was just asking what ppl's opinions were on how this fight affects Mayweather's legacy. I also think ppl's opinion can be somewhat of an indicator. I do not at all think it's an accurate indicator. But at this point in the evolution of how this fight is viewed, a poll can tell part of the story.

A lot of times, details, even the uglier ones. Like those you mentioned with Duran, slip away over time. However, I just think with the clock running down and Mayweather IMO trying to bolster his legacy as his career winds down.. He is likely looking for big pro mayweather statements with his fights.
Reply With Quote
DrewWoodside is offline
#74
Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
joseph5620
undisputed
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Calabasas, Calif
Posts: 5,922
Rep Power: 20 joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 12,043,005,122,854.43
Bank: 2,367,711,009,850.01
Total Points: 14,410,716,132,704.44
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 
Default

[QUOTE=DrewWoodside;11212700]I agree with everything you are saying, but I'm not saying the KO punch defines Mayweather's standing in history. I was just asking what ppl's opinions were on how this fight affects Mayweather's legacy. I also think ppl's opinion can be somewhat of an indicator. I do not at all think it's an accurate indicator. But at this point in the evolution of how this fight is viewed, a poll can tell part of the story.

A lot of times, details, even the uglier ones. Like those you mentioned with Duran, slip away over time. However, I just think with the clock running down and Mayweather IMO trying to bolster his legacy as his career winds down.. He is likely looking for big pro mayweather statements with his fights.[QUOTE]

I agree and at this point the only thing that can really define his career is Pacquiao. It has to happen.
Reply With Quote
joseph5620 is offline
#75
Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 PM
The Gambler1981
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Detroit
Age: 33
Posts: 20,064
Rep Power: 52 The Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,600,115,766.25
Bank: 3,348,768,769,638.46
Total Points: 3,359,368,885,404.71
respect. - mellow_mood you deserve a metal for defending the woman beater, lol, nyahahaha - Tha_Greatest always a good poster. have a beer. - jreckoning \m/ - Kenny MF Powers thanks brother - mrpain81 
great easy logical advice you gave for others on the thunderdome for trolls like me, lol, everything you stated i have stated to many people but few people would take mind of what you wrote, lol, excellent post, plain  logic to keep your composure fo - Tha_Greatest No Message - mathed thatll be 5$ - sugarsmosley 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWoodside View Post
Yes, but something about the stigma behind "Cheap Shotting" goes against the very spirit and reason people watch boxing in the first place. Which is the reason this ending has become such a huge talking point. Whether it's the same in term of sportsmanship(and you can argue what Floyd did was more legal than what Jordan did,) it is perceived as not sporting and per above against the spirit or honor of the sport.

Whether that is correct/valid or not is anyone's guess, but it's the reason people keep discussing it. But as long as people debate it and are uncertain as to what to make of it, it lacks a certain luster.
If it was the first punch sure, but the first punch didn't take him out. It was the second punch, so he had clear warning because he already got punched, what did he do look away~

Ortiz failed a very basic boxing test, I can't fault Floyd for Ortiz failing the most very basic rule in boxing, especially after he already got punched once so he could have at least tried to not get punched but he did nothing of the sort.

Straight up, Floyd can't win like that and get love just not how he is viewed but it does actually play into his part so does it hurt him no and in the grand scheme in boxing to me there was no way Ortiz was really doing anything for him, would people be less outraged if Floyd won in a normal fashion sure but I wouldn't expect it to matter at all really it would be something else only less talked about.

Generally speaking memorable and getting talked about are good, Floyd wins a more normal way the fight garners a lot less attention post fight. For Floyd that will end up good, because he is already the bad guy and in taht situation with Ortiz Floyd did what the bad guy (in most peoples mind) would do.
Reply With Quote
The Gambler1981 is online now
#76
Old 09-26-2011, 05:28 PM
DrewWoodside
Lifestyle..Regular!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Woodside, Queens
Posts: 9,853
Rep Power: 31 DrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,372,344.86
Bank: 2,235,859,556.16
Total Points: 2,246,231,901.02
your gift shelf looks empty...lets add some liquor - Makavelli pinoys arent allowed to just drink and give one beer...here's one more - Makavelli 3 beers are better than 2 - Makavelli and 4 is better than 3 - Makavelli more beer - Makavelli 
Something to snack on while you watch it all go down. - danny711 Nice to see you Drew - deanrw 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
If it was the first punch sure, but the first punch didn't take him out. It was the second punch, so he had clear warning because he already got punched, what did he do look away~

Ortiz failed a very basic boxing test, I can't fault Floyd for Ortiz failing the most very basic rule in boxing, especially after he already got punched once so he could have at least tried to not get punched but he did nothing of the sort.

Straight up, Floyd can't win like that and get love just not how he is viewed but it does actually play into his part so does it hurt him no and in the grand scheme in boxing to me there was no way Ortiz was really doing anything for him, would people be less outraged if Floyd won in a normal fashion sure but I wouldn't expect it to matter at all really it would be something else only less talked about.

Generally speaking memorable and getting talked about are good, Floyd wins a more normal way the fight garners a lot less attention post fight. For Floyd that will end up good, because he is already the bad guy and in taht situation with Ortiz Floyd did what the bad guy (in most peoples mind) would do.
Yeah, I was irritated b/c I wanted to see the whole fight and it play out naturally. But one of my first thoughts was as a fan of boxing, a result like this is good for boxing. And Great for the way Mayweather sells his fights. All and all, I would just really like to see a good fight play out. Summer of 2011 has been extremely lacking. I also had tickets to Ward/Froch.. I'm dying to watch a fight!
Reply With Quote
DrewWoodside is offline
#77
Old 09-26-2011, 05:29 PM
DrewWoodside
Lifestyle..Regular!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Woodside, Queens
Posts: 9,853
Rep Power: 31 DrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,372,344.86
Bank: 2,235,859,556.16
Total Points: 2,246,231,901.02
your gift shelf looks empty...lets add some liquor - Makavelli pinoys arent allowed to just drink and give one beer...here's one more - Makavelli 3 beers are better than 2 - Makavelli and 4 is better than 3 - Makavelli more beer - Makavelli 
Something to snack on while you watch it all go down. - danny711 Nice to see you Drew - deanrw 
Default

[QUOTE=joseph5620;11212716][QUOTE=DrewWoodside;11212700]I agree with everything you are saying, but I'm not saying the KO punch defines Mayweather's standing in history. I was just asking what ppl's opinions were on how this fight affects Mayweather's legacy. I also think ppl's opinion can be somewhat of an indicator. I do not at all think it's an accurate indicator. But at this point in the evolution of how this fight is viewed, a poll can tell part of the story.

A lot of times, details, even the uglier ones. Like those you mentioned with Duran, slip away over time. However, I just think with the clock running down and Mayweather IMO trying to bolster his legacy as his career winds down.. He is likely looking for big pro mayweather statements with his fights.
Quote:

I agree and at this point the only thing that can really define his career is Pacquiao. It has to happen.
I wish they would just fight so boxing junkies didn't have to twiddle their thumbs and go back and forth for hours over minor details and random happenings.
Reply With Quote
DrewWoodside is offline
#78
Old 09-26-2011, 05:33 PM
The Gambler1981
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Detroit
Age: 33
Posts: 20,064
Rep Power: 52 The Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,600,115,766.25
Bank: 3,348,768,769,638.46
Total Points: 3,359,368,885,404.71
respect. - mellow_mood you deserve a metal for defending the woman beater, lol, nyahahaha - Tha_Greatest always a good poster. have a beer. - jreckoning \m/ - Kenny MF Powers thanks brother - mrpain81 
great easy logical advice you gave for others on the thunderdome for trolls like me, lol, everything you stated i have stated to many people but few people would take mind of what you wrote, lol, excellent post, plain  logic to keep your composure fo - Tha_Greatest No Message - mathed thatll be 5$ - sugarsmosley 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWoodside View Post
Yeah, I was irritated b/c I wanted to see the whole fight and it play out naturally. But one of my first thoughts was as a fan of boxing, a result like this is good for boxing. And Great for the way Mayweather sells his fights. All and all, I would just really like to see a good fight play out. Summer of 2011 has been extremely lacking. I also had tickets to Ward/Froch.. I'm dying to watch a fight!
I haven't been bothered by that because I believe the fight was already going downhill, Ortiz gave his best effort in round four and really did nothing, then he fell apart.

So to me he was already falling apart, so it was only a matter of time before that fight went south on him in a hurry.

I feel that though because I would much rather watch a fight play out, but all it takes is one mistake for a boxing match to end and that was one whopper of a mistake. Good to see that from time to time also.
Reply With Quote
The Gambler1981 is online now
#79
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM
tangalog2200
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,826
Rep Power: 8 tangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 411,103.67
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 411,103.67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWoodside View Post
Yes, but something about the stigma behind "Cheap Shotting" goes against the very spirit and reason people watch boxing in the first place. Which is the reason this ending has become such a huge talking point. Whether it's the same in term of sportsmanship(and you can argue what Floyd did was more legal than what Jordan did,) it is perceived as not sporting and per above against the spirit or honor of the sport.

Whether that is correct/valid or not is anyone's guess, but it's the reason people keep discussing it. But as long as people debate it and are uncertain as to what to make of it, it lacks a certain luster.
very well said.....

a win that is hounded by a lot of big questions could not be taken to enhance a fighter's legacy....

sportsmanship still matters in boxing and is over and above anything else...

unless boxing is no longer considered as a sport...
Reply With Quote
tangalog2200 is offline
#80
Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Doctor_Tenma
Monster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bronx, New York
Age: 25
Posts: 29,206
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 75 Doctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 30,132,508,561.72
Bank: 90,593,847,837,192.14
Total Points: 90,623,980,345,753.86
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Toney Loc 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigma View Post
In what way? It enhances his resume with an extra win and an extra knockout, but when they marvel about his career years from now what exactly about the fight enhanced his profile? What could they say about the fight that would reflect positively? I can't think of anything.
Ortiz was the champ coming off an impressive performance, it is what it is, had Ortiz not taken the route that he did (Intentionally headbutting) things could have ended the way most would have wanted, but that wasn't the case so we move on. Still, how doesn't this enhance his legacy? He won fair and square against a solid opponent.

Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 09-26-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Doctor_Tenma is offline
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
enhance, legacy?, mayweather's, mayweather/ortiz

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.