Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: How does the result of Mayweather/Ortiz affect Mayweather's Legacy?
Enhances Mayweather's Legacy. 24 30.38%
Takes Away from Mayweather's Legacy. 27 34.18%
Has No Affect on Mayweather's Legacy. 28 35.44%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 PM
DrewWoodside
Lifestyle..Regular!

Rep Power: 31 DrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,568,299,827.04
Total Points: 2,578,677,827.90
your gift shelf looks empty...lets add some liquor - Makavelli pinoys arent allowed to just drink and give one beer...here's one more - Makavelli 3 beers are better than 2 - Makavelli and 4 is better than 3 - Makavelli more beer - Makavelli 
Something to snack on while you watch it all go down. - danny711 Nice to see you Drew - deanrw 

Lets just hope they don't try to sell us a rematch... Because no matter what I type or say, I'll buy pretty much every high profile boxing match.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 PM
WESS
Most Definitely

Location: From the beaches of F.L.A. to the mountains of W.A.
Rep Power: 41 WESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond reputeWESS has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 12,244,907,253,870.58
Total Points: 12,481,969,085,669.65
Have a beer bro - deanrw For getting me a Roy Jones Jr. autograph!!! - TRUTH I love you baby! - JESS & WESS this is what all pactards want to do to you but they cant - I'm so sorry respect you as a poster, keep it up champ! - Atreyu Khalil 
God I hate u filipinos so much!!! fuk manny pacquiao stupid filipino, my hero floyd will whoop him - WESS - Panginoon until I can give you green k. - Round 1 Tri-Cities WA Wine Consultant - WESS 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - WESS World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - WESS 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior gong View Post
For boxrec warriors and bumsniffs maybe not, but it wont just go away.
Yes it will, unless Ortiz becomes some great fighter. If not nobody will care or think twice when looking at Floyd's record and seeing a KO win over Ortiz.

At the end of the day it was a KO win for a belt. Nothing more, nothing less and unless Ortiz becomes something special, nobody will care or think twice when seeing his name.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:34 PM
junior gong
snr gong

Rep Power: 43 junior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,105,281,373,051.81
Total Points: 19,106,291,108,905.74
A gift for my favorite bumsniff... - Kenny MF Powers one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. bumsniffing the trail of flomos on BS 24/7. - Body Movin' keep murking these floydiot bumsniffs, flomos kneel before you and kiss your feet - Turd &quot;hi yung doe&quot; looool - thuggery 
thx m8, can always count on the gongster to lay the smackdown - thuggery A glass of the finest French wine - QuebecSTAR2 joyeux noel - QuebecSTAR2 Cheers buddy, screw the FloydTroopers - Beercules ATG poster! - jas 
I now pronounce Floyd Mayweather and Junior Gong in holy matrimony. Congrats Mayweather and Gong for their beautiful marriage. - BrushMyHair You're fackin hilarious - Booty Dew Helluva poster - jas Legendary destroyer of Fl0mos - Free Booty Dew! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESS View Post
Yes it will, unless Ortiz becomes some great fighter. If not nobody will care or think twice when looking at Floyd's record and seeing a KO win over Ortiz.

At the end of the day it was a KO win for a belt. Nothing more, nothing less and unless Ortiz becomes something special, nobody will care or think twice when seeing his name.
You think boxing fans memories are that short, especially when we live in an era when you can access all the information about fights and fighters with such ease? The only people likely to look up his record in 20 or 30 years time are going to be boxing fans, and as such they will look past the resume and into the history of his fights.

It happens everyday on this website, many or most of the posters here will take the trouble to find out and even watch fighters who fought before they were born. Now I know how much you like Floyd and all that, but even a ***** couldnt be so stupid as to not see what stares them in the face every day.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:38 PM
DrewWoodside
Lifestyle..Regular!

Rep Power: 31 DrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond reputeDrewWoodside has a reputation beyond repute
your gift shelf looks empty...lets add some liquor - Makavelli pinoys arent allowed to just drink and give one beer...here's one more - Makavelli 3 beers are better than 2 - Makavelli and 4 is better than 3 - Makavelli more beer - Makavelli 
Something to snack on while you watch it all go down. - danny711 Nice to see you Drew - deanrw 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior gong View Post
You think boxing fans memories are that short, especially when we live in an era when you can access all the information about fights and fighters with such ease? The only people likely to look up his record in 20 or 30 years time are going to be boxing fans, and as such they will look past the resume and into the history of his fights.

It happens everyday on this website, many or most of the posters here will take the trouble to find out and even watch fighters who fought before they were born. Now I know how much you like Floyd and all that, but even a ***** couldnt be so stupid as to not see what stares them in the face every day.
IMO a better defense against "this fight won't enhance his legacy" would be Mayweather was going to win anyway, not people won't care or remember how the fight ended. But that's just my opinion.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:41 PM
junior gong
snr gong

Rep Power: 43 junior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond reputejunior gong has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,105,281,373,051.81
Total Points: 19,106,291,108,905.74
A gift for my favorite bumsniff... - Kenny MF Powers one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. bumsniffing the trail of flomos on BS 24/7. - Body Movin' keep murking these floydiot bumsniffs, flomos kneel before you and kiss your feet - Turd &quot;hi yung doe&quot; looool - thuggery 
thx m8, can always count on the gongster to lay the smackdown - thuggery A glass of the finest French wine - QuebecSTAR2 joyeux noel - QuebecSTAR2 Cheers buddy, screw the FloydTroopers - Beercules ATG poster! - jas 
I now pronounce Floyd Mayweather and Junior Gong in holy matrimony. Congrats Mayweather and Gong for their beautiful marriage. - BrushMyHair You're fackin hilarious - Booty Dew Helluva poster - jas Legendary destroyer of Fl0mos - Free Booty Dew! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWoodside View Post
IMO a better defense against "this fight won't enhance his legacy" would be Mayweather was going to win anyway, not people won't care or remember how the fight ended. But that's just my opinion.
Pretty much how I see it. Ortiz was way out of his depth and really did nothing to deserve this fight. Floyd got a belt out of it, but no real enhancement to his standing at all.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:48 PM
joseph5620
undisputed

Rep Power: 20 joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,250,359,828,107.75
Total Points: 15,293,364,953,291.58
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathed View Post
It look's good on paper: beats a pretty tough, young, hungry fighter.

It look's bad when watching the fight: Ortiz should not have given Floyd any once of respect at all (all these guys that fight him try to be friendly only to get punched on the break or catch an elbow for their troubles). Portrays the image that one of the icons of the sport is down right dirty, thus the sport is dirty.

It looks bad in the context of Floyd's career: He is viewed by many as one of the greatest boxers ever yet had to act in an unsportsman-like way to win against an overmatched boxer. I agree that Ortiz's headbutt antics were drastically uncalled for but he was penalized within the confines of the rules.If it wasn't really a bad thing to do, I don't see why so many in the media called it a cowardly act. I surmise there will be dirt coming out about behind the scenes talks between Floyd and Victor if there is no rematch. That "dirt" is what is going to really tarnish Floyd's career.
And the ending happened within the context of the rules. So what's the difference?
Old 09-26-2011, 04:49 PM
The Gambler1981
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 52 The Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,507,001,859,425.06
Total Points: 4,517,601,978,345.00
respect. - mellow_mood you deserve a metal for defending the woman beater, lol, nyahahaha - Tha_Greatest always a good poster. have a beer. - jreckoning \m/ - Kenny MF Powers thanks brother - mrpain81 
great easy logical advice you gave for others on the thunderdome for trolls like me, lol, everything you stated i have stated to many people but few people would take mind of what you wrote, lol, excellent post, plain  logic to keep your composure fo - Tha_Greatest No Message - mathed thatll be 5$ - sugarsmosley 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWoodside View Post
Right, but Jordan hitting that shot off a push didn't result with the game ending midway through the second quarter.. Leaving fans confused and wondering where the other quarters went. I think a big problem with this fight is it left a fans feeling ripped off, and a lot off that ripped off feeling is attributed to how the KO came..

I think the parallel is relevant, but in the end I think Jordan's play strikes fans as having been heroic in going above and beyond, and Mayweather's play being less than heroic..

How long do you think it will be until Mayweather fights again? I'm guessing it's against Amir Khan and it will be announced well inside of 12 months time.
Still it is the same exact thing they were deciding moments where the better guy took advantage of another guy being naive. If you view Jordan as pulling off a fine veteran move you shouldn't really have an issue, if you beef over Jordan pushing off fine have an issue with this.

The nature of the sport changes little, did Utah have a chance to get back at the Bull nope exactly like Ortiz. It was the last move and it ended the series in six instead of seven so yea it robbed the fans of seeing Jordan in an actual game seven of the finals where he had a chance to lose, game seven of the finals was something he never did so he could have enhanced his legacy, instead we had him push Byron Russel to the ground and hitting a wide open jump shot.

Depends probably starting to hear words in six month because Floyd did say it take 6 months to build his fights so really it should be in six months if he intends on fighting in September next year, unless the big one comes off will probably know about that within 3 months

Last edited by The Gambler1981; 09-26-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:52 PM
-MAKAVELLI-
deicide

Rep Power: 317 -MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 13,815,218,149,954,316,288.00
Total Points: 13,815,708,263,038,351,360.00
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang merry xmas - Ether Happy Holidays Makie!  :kiss: - Lorily Christmas Beer! Cheers you crazy bastard. - ThePhantom5 42k post medal! - Flabulous 
For good luck - jazluvr I heard you're big, but don't worry Tua is bigger - Uns Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy New Year, bro. - Libido Sanchez Happy Holidays MAKAVELLI - !! AI-Holmes!! 
have a Happy and safe New Years bro! - jose830 Happy New Year - Freedom. Tagay para sa new year! - led* Happy Holidays, bud! - jazluvr Funniest poster on site, here's a burger - jas 
Old School Thread - -jose- From your pal, BeerBro - Beercules damn son! you one handsome fellow! and with all do respect...Wow!!! that girl you with is Bad!!! definitely wifey material. - -jose- Sorry for the my in the moment RED K, here is a medal. - BrushMyHair that shit was funny bro :lol1: I literally cracked up - -jose- 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - S a m u r a i Head and Neck Cancer - S a m u r a i Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - S a m u r a i Childhood Cancer - ??? Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jim Jeffries 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - deanrw Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Pretty Boy32 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - dans01234 Head and Neck Cancer - PensionKiller 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Akinapepemo Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Akinapepemo Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MARKBNLV Childhood Cancer - LeeVanCleef 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 

great...it became a Jordan convo
Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 PM
jasbar
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 6 jasbar has a reputation beyond reputejasbar has a reputation beyond reputejasbar has a reputation beyond reputejasbar has a reputation beyond reputejasbar has a reputation beyond reputejasbar has a reputation beyond reputejasbar has a reputation beyond reputejasbar has a reputation beyond reputejasbar has a reputation beyond reputejasbar has a reputation beyond reputejasbar has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 42,929.54

I think it will tarnish Floyd's legacy if he doesnt rematch Ortiz. Floyd will be remembered as a dirty fighter in the future.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
DrewWoodside
Lifestyle..Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
Still it is the same exact thing they were deciding moments where the better guy took advantage of another guy being naive. If you view Jordan as pulling off a fine veteran move you shouldn't really have an issue, if you beef over Jordan pushing off fine have an issue with this.

The nature of the sport changes little, did Utah have a chance to get back at the Bull nope exactly like Ortiz. It was the last move and it ended the series in six instead of seven so yea it robbed the fans of seeing Jordan in an actual game seven of the finals where he had a chance to lose, game seven of the finals was something he never did so he could have enhanced his legacy, instead we had him push Byron Russel to the ground and hitting a wide open jump shot.

Depends probably starting to hear words in six month because Floyd did say it take 6 months to build his fights so really it should be in six months if he intends on fighting in September next year, unless the big one comes off will probably know about that within 3 months
Yes, but something about the stigma behind "Cheap Shotting" goes against the very spirit and reason people watch boxing in the first place. Which is the reason this ending has become such a huge talking point. Whether it's the same in term of sportsmanship(and you can argue what Floyd did was more legal than what Jordan did,) it is perceived as not sporting and per above against the spirit or honor of the sport.

Whether that is correct/valid or not is anyone's guess, but it's the reason people keep discussing it. But as long as people debate it and are uncertain as to what to make of it, it lacks a certain luster.