Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
View Poll Results: Is Gamboa a potential Hall of famer with a record of only 21 bouts at 30 years old?
He could have been if he was allowed to start building up his professional career earlier. 2 25.00%
He is not because he lacks the qualities and talent to become an all-time great. 0 0%
He still is a potential hall of famer. 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Nick Name
Contender

Rep Power: 5 Nick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 32,139.95
Default Yuriorkis Gamboa: a big prospect or a great upset?

My question is: what could Gamboa have become without the troubles he had to face due to the Cuban policy that forbids their amateur fighters to go pro?
I mean, what if Gamboa would have been able to go pro in 2004 or earlier instead of 2007? I mean, 3 years are quite a long time in a boxer's career, and 27 years of age is quite late to start a great professional career.

Now at age 30, he could become the next sensation in boxing. So fame and wealth are already under his belt. But, is he young and fit enough to reach greatness?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Rockin'
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 31,588,368,032,279.08
Total Points: 31,588,368,076,743.83
have a drink bud - peyk-peyk another one bud - peyk-peyk tnx 4 the green champ - BoZz Have a beer on me... - BulgariasFinest I have great respect for you as a poster - rorymac 
Much appreciated my friend - BulgariasFinest thanks champ, respect :) - calmdown you were a good opponent or whatever, now its over between you and me as rivals or fake rivals, whatever it was, lol, no more problems from me to you in my part - Tha_Greatest 10k. Keep postin'. - BattlingNelson Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 
10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery 
for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Gamboa is one fast little wrecking machine. His future looks great..............Rockin'
Old 09-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Mugwump
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Mugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,033,935.88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Name View Post
My question is: what could Gamboa have become without the troubles he had to face due to the Cuban policy that forbids their amateur fighters to go pro?
I mean, what if Gamboa would have been able to go pro in 2004 or earlier instead of 2007? I mean, 3 years are quite a long time in a boxer's career, and 27 years of age is quite late to start a great professional career.

Now at age 30, he could become the next sensation in boxing. So fame and wealth are already under his belt. But, is he young and fit enough to reach greatness?
It's less an issue of fitness and experience than the standard of opposition he is fortunate enough to arrive upon. Being a "great" fighter (in the truest sense and not the common one where the term has become so diluted it qualifies as a homepathic cure) is as much to do with luck as ability.

Take someone like Ali for instance. Every day he must count himself fortunate to have fought at a time when heavyweight boxing was filled with some of the finest talent the sport has witnessed. Born fifteen (or even ten years) later and we could just as easily be arguing over whether he - like Larry Holmes - was really capable of mixing it with the likes of Joe Louis, Sonny Liston, Marciano or Foreman.

There are many fighters who would be ranked far higher had they been lucky enough to be born at the right time.

As for Gamboa. The pool of talent he currently swims in is solid but not spectacular so I'd say the chances of him being regarded as a true great are modest.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:50 PM
SCtrojansbaby
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 16 SCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,297,713.17
No Message - Toney616 Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Christmas amigo - chav 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

Arum is holding him back
Old 09-17-2011, 02:04 AM
Nick Name
Contender

Rep Power: 5 Nick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 32,139.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
It's less an issue of fitness and experience than the standard of opposition he is fortunate enough to arrive upon. Being a "great" fighter (in the truest sense and not the common one where the term has become so diluted it qualifies as a homepathic cure) is as much to do with luck as ability.

Take someone like Ali for instance. Every day he must count himself fortunate to have fought at a time when heavyweight boxing was filled with some of the finest talent the sport has witnessed. Born fifteen (or even ten years) later and we could just as easily be arguing over whether he - like Larry Holmes - was really capable of mixing it with the likes of Joe Louis, Sonny Liston, Marciano or Foreman.

There are many fighters who would be ranked far higher had they been lucky enough to be born at the right time.

As for Gamboa. The pool of talent he currently swims in is solid but not spectacular so I'd say the chances of him being regarded as a true great are modest.
That's true for what regards the featherweights and lower. In fact let's think about the big fights he could be into: JM Lopez, Donaire and Koki Kameda... Big but not great.
What if he moves up in weight (he's built up pretty well so all he will have to do is loose the diet a little bit) and face the likes of Brandon Rios, Guerrero, Katsidis, JM Marquez, and even Khan, Bradley and Maidana at a catchweight: those fights are what you call the gate to greatness. That's why I say that those 3 years spent travelling across South America have been a disgrace to his career: amateur and pro are two different worlds. You don't become a professional fighter from one day to another: going pro it's like starting over a different sport: 12 rounds instead of 4, no helmet, different tactics, deeper blows... You need at least 2 years of intense training and studying: Gamboa didn't have that time to complete his pro training before to face the big opponents. Look at Nonito Donaire, he's one year younger than him but he went pro six years earlier... And you can see the results in his technique, experience and fitness: if he started in 2004, Gamboa could already be fighting the lightweights and building up his path to the Hall.

Last edited by Nick Name; 09-17-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:47 AM
Mugwump
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Mugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,033,935.88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Name View Post
That's true for what regards the featherweights and lower. In fact let's think about the big fights he could be into: JM Lopez, Donaire and Koki Kameda... Big but not great.
What if he moves up in weight (he's built up pretty well so all he will have to do is loose the diet a little bit) and face the likes of Brandon Rios, Guerrero, Katsidis, JM Marquez, and even Khan, Bradley and Maidana at a catchweight:
At the rate Katsidis eats leather I doubt he's got 18 months before the onset of brain damage. Marquez is on the downslope. The fact that he's moving up for money kind of underlines this. I'm not convinced by Guerrero and Rios still has a lot to prove.

Maidana gets props for bravery and explosive hitting. But he's also a sitting duck. Which leaves Bradley & Khan. I like both for different reasons (the former for his toughness and durability (although not his head) and the latter his skills. Gamboa will have to improve quicker than he has ever shown before for him to stand a chance against either. You just can't hope to mix with dangerous customers such as Bradley & Khan with a defence like Gamboa's. I'm not even sure he has a defence.

So, no. Aside from Bradley & Khan (who themselves still have much to prove) Gamboa's future doesn't appear to be littered with stellar names. Of course, things could change. But not in the next six months or so. And Gamboa - as has been pointed out - isn't getting any younger.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Spit Venom
Hard Luck Man

Rep Power: 4 Spit Venom has a reputation beyond reputeSpit Venom has a reputation beyond reputeSpit Venom has a reputation beyond reputeSpit Venom has a reputation beyond reputeSpit Venom has a reputation beyond reputeSpit Venom has a reputation beyond reputeSpit Venom has a reputation beyond reputeSpit Venom has a reputation beyond reputeSpit Venom has a reputation beyond reputeSpit Venom has a reputation beyond reputeSpit Venom has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 45,847,446.26

there used to be a Juanma around, but now there is Nonito, who will prove more by beating Gamboa as the other way round.

Gamboa was a great amateur, but as a pro he needs to do something.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:34 PM
BOLLOCKS
Surrender Dorothy!

Rep Power: 252 BOLLOCKS has a reputation beyond reputeBOLLOCKS has a reputation beyond reputeBOLLOCKS has a reputation beyond reputeBOLLOCKS has a reputation beyond reputeBOLLOCKS has a reputation beyond reputeBOLLOCKS has a reputation beyond reputeBOLLOCKS has a reputation beyond reputeBOLLOCKS has a reputation beyond reputeBOLLOCKS has a reputation beyond reputeBOLLOCKS has a reputation beyond reputeBOLLOCKS has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,415,805,204,806,982.50
Total Points: 3,416,099,156,127,627.50
Cookie time! - Raider Monkz No Message - Raider Monkz No Message - Raider Monkz No Message - Raider Monkz No Message - Raider Monkz 
my nikka - -veteran420- my nikka - -veteran420- my nikka - aye, cunts my nikka - -veteran420- No Message - -veteran420- 
Cookies? Who told you can eat my cookies!?!?! - Old Coward For all the times you helped me get back to E-Millionaire status.  Thanks bruh. - Chief2ndzOnly! Thanks! - jazluvr loc.. - Ether merry xmas - Subtraction 
Merry Christmas - Flab No Message - Tha_Greatest Happy holidays bro! - led* Here's for ur cookie, cunt. - led* thug life - lanigav 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - El Mustang Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Old Coward 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Sh!thead Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - + rizilient + Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MAЯA Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - The Underboss Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether 
Send a message via MSN to BOLLOCKS Send a message via Yahoo to BOLLOCKS Send a message via Skype™ to BOLLOCKS

He's teh best at 126, no longer a prospect.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM
slicksouthpaw16
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 21 slicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeslicksouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,949,744,814.30
Total Points: 8,951,759,908.25
I enjoy reading your posts, and thanks for making me feel welcome. :) - Sweet Peacock 

27 is only late when you're first picking up a pair of gloves. Gamboa has been boxing since forever and has an extensive amateur pedigree. That plus the fact that he has been matched tough since hes started his pro career. Hes been pro for 4 years and most of his opponents has had winning records and a few of them even champions. I think hes right on time.