Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 10-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Mr. David
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 21493 Mr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond reputeMr. David has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,492,669,413,766.17
Total Points: 8,492,669,514,256.57
Happy Holidays David! - Lorily Fighting Words: The Heart and Heartbreak of Boxing - Body Movin' Always enjoy your 'Fighting Words' articles - Trudoe 
Default Ali-Bonavena question

My knowledge generally lacks when concerning boxing history. I just caught snippets of Ali-Bonavena, and have a question of opinion.

Is it just me, or should the referee have forced Ali to go into a neutral corner between knockdowns in the fifteenth and final round?

I'm unsure how much of a difference it would have made to the end result, but it would've at least given Bonavena a couple more seconds between reception of power punches.

Any well-informed opinions are appreciated.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-21-2005, 05:42 PM
KidBlackie
Contender

Rep Power: 9 KidBlackie has a reputation beyond reputeKidBlackie has a reputation beyond reputeKidBlackie has a reputation beyond reputeKidBlackie has a reputation beyond reputeKidBlackie has a reputation beyond reputeKidBlackie has a reputation beyond reputeKidBlackie has a reputation beyond reputeKidBlackie has a reputation beyond reputeKidBlackie has a reputation beyond reputeKidBlackie has a reputation beyond reputeKidBlackie has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 12,947.00

[[[Is it just me, or should the referee have forced Ali to go into a neutral corner between knockdowns in the fifteenth and final round?]]]
=============================

Yes, the ref did a bad job. Ali had a lot of suspicious and controversial bouts in his career that he benefitted from. That was a legit KD and Oscar was hurt, but he wasn't smart enough to know how to take a count. Ali stood in the middle of the ring instead of being in a neutral corner, but regardless the scoring was stacked badly against Oscar in spite of the fact that he was terrorizing Ali for most of the fight. My guess is that the money for the Frazier bout was too big for Ali to be derailed, sorta like Sturm/Oscar.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:11 AM
salsanchezfan
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 salsanchezfan has a reputation beyond reputesalsanchezfan has a reputation beyond reputesalsanchezfan has a reputation beyond reputesalsanchezfan has a reputation beyond reputesalsanchezfan has a reputation beyond reputesalsanchezfan has a reputation beyond reputesalsanchezfan has a reputation beyond reputesalsanchezfan has a reputation beyond reputesalsanchezfan has a reputation beyond reputesalsanchezfan has a reputation beyond reputesalsanchezfan has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 12,117.00

Wouldn't have made any difference anyway, as Ali was ahead at the time of the stoppage, and personally, without going back over my tape of the fight, I really don't remember anything wrong with the handling of the bout. Let's face it. Bonavena was done after the first knockdown. The stoppage occured at 2:03 of the 15th round, which still left a lot of time on the clock. Ali would have finished the job no matter what. Even if he hadn't, he'd have won on points.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:20 AM
DuncanJL
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 DuncanJL has a brilliant futureDuncanJL has a brilliant futureDuncanJL has a brilliant futureDuncanJL has a brilliant futureDuncanJL has a brilliant futureDuncanJL has a brilliant futureDuncanJL has a brilliant futureDuncanJL has a brilliant futureDuncanJL has a brilliant futureDuncanJL has a brilliant futureDuncanJL has a brilliant future
Total Points: 15,605.12

I just don't like the refs that get on Ali for holding a guys head down. He likes to do it and it helps him win so let him do it...who wants to see Ali lose? really..
Old 10-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Skydog
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 15 Skydog has a reputation beyond reputeSkydog has a reputation beyond reputeSkydog has a reputation beyond reputeSkydog has a reputation beyond reputeSkydog has a reputation beyond reputeSkydog has a reputation beyond reputeSkydog has a reputation beyond reputeSkydog has a reputation beyond reputeSkydog has a reputation beyond reputeSkydog has a reputation beyond reputeSkydog has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 56,660.91

Ali's postition at the KD at Bonavena's fight is nothing compared to how he was against Liston. He was hovering right above him, taunting him, and pushing the ref out of the way.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Dynamite76
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 Dynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 70,764.52

I saw parts of this fight on ESPN2.It was hilarious with them too jawing at each other at the time before the fight.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:09 PM
RAESAAD
THE MUTHAFUCKIN TRUTH

Rep Power: 21549 RAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond reputeRAESAAD has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,013,940,368.33
Total Points: 16,014,102,802.28
Boxingscene's elite - !! AI-Holmes!! 30k POSTS PUSSY! - reedickyaluss grats on 30k - 2nd II none It's the directions to me crib BITCH. Haha.. Happy 30K cousin. - K-Nan Congrats on 30K posts, couldn't find an E hooker. - Jim Jeffries 
No Message - T-97 yuck! - mybisoy Mah Mayne Mahn Raesaad! - Dorian Pop Bottles for the Rays!!!!! - Mike06j770 Starin in my rearview - D E M Dz A 
You good peoples homey - mangler Thanx. Here's a lucky charm 4 ya homey. - mangler Have a drink on me homey - mangler Happy 33k Big Man.... - The Gully Gad 33K is the muthafukkin truth - Makavelli 
Long time no see bud.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - mangler 

Yeah I watched it last night and was thinking the same thing the ref should have stopped counting and turned around and forced Ali into a neutral corner the guy had no time to recover at all before Ali was bashing him again.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Dempsey 1919
Manassah's finest!

Rep Power: 981 Dempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 793,148.66
Total Points: 977,789.30

I believe Ali should have went to a neutral corner. However, Bonavena would still have lost as he showed almost no stamina in the 15th round.