Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 08-01-2011, 11:47 AM
zte89147
Contender

Rep Power: 4 zte89147 has a reputation beyond reputezte89147 has a reputation beyond reputezte89147 has a reputation beyond reputezte89147 has a reputation beyond reputezte89147 has a reputation beyond reputezte89147 has a reputation beyond reputezte89147 has a reputation beyond reputezte89147 has a reputation beyond reputezte89147 has a reputation beyond reputezte89147 has a reputation beyond reputezte89147 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 230,983,555.63
Default What does the BH section think of JCC's legacy

Just wondering what you guys think of, when you think of Julio Cesar Chavez
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 71 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,299,078,340,058,009.50
Total Points: 4,328,298,456,212,454.50
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

All time great.

Argubally the greatest fighter to come from Mexico.

Vastly overrated by his hardcore fans, most have dissapeared today but there are still a few lurking around.

But all in all a great fighter with one of the all time great chins to add to that.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
fitefanSHO
KO Digest

Rep Power: 6 fitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,099,219.96
Thread, it very good - McGoorty Apologies for negging you before. You're a good poster and an asset to the forums. - It's Ovah great thread man--rock of ages - McGoorty Cheers for the help, shame i couldnt get u a real pint! - The Surgeon 

Yes, greatest boxer from Mexico, an obvious all time great, and a total throwback fighter.

Top 50 ATG for sure, maybe even top 25.

Chavez was a force of nature and his unbeaten streak may never again be matched.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Steak
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 35 Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 771,863,221.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 

My take on his career, and an analysis of his notable wins.
http://aaboxing.blogspot.com/2011/05...lio-cesar.html
Old 08-01-2011, 12:06 PM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 123,155,625,418.64
Total Points: 123,155,636,382.56

He was a great, great fighter. He was more skillful than pseudo-purists like to believe he was.......he was pretty damn good at slipping punches for a guy who was almost always coming forward. His accuracy and ability to put hard shots together in combination is matched by few in history.

Pseudo-purists also like to say he was easy to outbox...even though the only guy who outboxed him when he was near his time is one of the most masterful boxers in history- Whitaker. Getting outboxed by Pernell Whitaker doesn't mean you're easy to outbox....

What is overrated about him is his record, that's all. It is indeed a great record, but some put too much stock in it.

He has a lot of haters because he got some questionable calls in his career, and because of what I said about his record. Those haters actually wind up underrating the guy when all is said and done.

Last edited by jabsRstiff; 08-01-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,060,915.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsRstiff View Post
He was a great, great fighter. He was more skillful than pseudo-purists like to believe he was.......he was pretty damn good at slipping punches for a guy who was almost always coming forward. His accuracy and ability to put hard shots together in combination is matched by few in history.

Pseudo-purists also like to say he was easy to outbox...even though the only guy who outboxed him when he was near his time is one of the most masterful boxers in history- Whitaker. Getting outboxed by Pernell Whitaker doesn't mean you're easy to outbox....

What is overrated about him is his record, that's all. It is indeed a great record, but some put too much stock in it.

He has a lot of haters because he got some questionable calls in his career, and because of what I said about his record. Those haters actually wind up underrating the guy when all is said and done.
Was hugely overrated in his day IMO but due to the inevitable backlash to that is probably now underrated. Good example of the dangers of rushing to place a current fighter in a historical context.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Forza
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Forza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,617,915.67
one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Viva Il Duce - Rocky... Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

I once made a thread here saying he was probably in the top 5 or even top 3 GOAT boxer and they all laughed at me.

"I cringed " said one member

The so called "experts" in this section don't know their history well.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,060,915.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
I once made a thread here saying he was probably in the top 5 or even top 3 GOAT boxer and they all laughed at me.

"I cringed " said one member

The so called "experts" in this section don't know their history well.
Top 5 is hugely overshooting. This is the problem you go top 5 and people then write him off completely so he doesn't even make the top 500. Out of interest who fill the other 4 spots?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Steak
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 35 Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 771,863,221.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC View Post
Was hugely overrated in his day IMO but due to the inevitable backlash to that is probably now underrated. Good example of the dangers of rushing to place a current fighter in a historical context.
Yes, I heavily get that impression as well.

his diehard, overzealous fans just went overboard in their day. Now I think a lot of people dont give him the credit he deserves.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 123,155,625,418.64
Total Points: 123,155,636,382.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak View Post
Yes, I heavily get that impression as well.

his diehard, overzealous fans just went overboard in their day. Now I think a lot of people dont give him the credit he deserves.
He was the best fighter in the world from around '88 to '93. Having him there at that time wasn't overrating him.....but, (at that time) already calling him the greatest fighter ever, or saying he rated along Sugar Ray Robinson is the overrating you guys speak of...