Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,473,174.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 
Lightbulb Great IRISH BOXERS--- Not just based in IRELAND

I thought this might introduce a thread about the great IRISH named boxers from IRELAND, AUSTRALIA, U.S.A., CANADA, NEW ZEALAND and even LATIN AMERICA.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'd like your lists of your favorite IRISH names from the history of boxing, I want names from the 1800's. So bring out your McLarnins and Darcy's and Dempsey's.-------------------------------------------------------------------------- I want to get enough names so we can come up with the Top 50 Irish boxers of all time,.... This is a Democratic thread,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Irish are famed for their Yarns and great humour, feel free to indulge in telling some good old tall tales.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ALL THINGS IRISH,--------HAVE FUN PEOPLE.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-29-2011, 01:52 PM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 
Talking Calling all Irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoorty View Post
I thought this might introduce a thread about the great IRISH named boxers from IRELAND, AUSTRALIA, U.S.A., CANADA, NEW ZEALAND and even LATIN AMERICA.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'd like your lists of your favorite IRISH names from the history of boxing, I want names from the 1800's. So bring out your McLarnins and Darcy's and Dempsey's.-------------------------------------------------------------------------- I want to get enough names so we can come up with the Top 50 Irish boxers of all time,.... This is a Democratic thread,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Irish are famed for their Yarns and great humour, feel free to indulge in telling some good old tall tales.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ALL THINGS IRISH,--------HAVE FUN PEOPLE.
Anybody with IRISH blood on today ?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Terry A
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 10 Terry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,400,067,793.47
Start you off mate your first gift.. - The Gully Gad To one of boxingscenes best - JAB5239 Thanks for the boxing mags! - hunkysoupbone get well soon - NewYork For Quality posting and for being such a genuine dude! - The Surgeon 
Missed having you around, Have a beer pal - McGoorty A true historian. - Barnburner 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BattlingNelson 

I'll help jump-start this thread for you my friend.

Sean O'Grady
Tom Sharkey
John L.Sullivan
James J. Braddock
Tony Zale (Just kidding. Couldn't resist from the Les Darcy thread)
Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 70 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,258,164,102,678,446.50
Total Points: 3,287,384,218,824,362.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Jimmy Mclarnin is the greatest Irish fighter of all time, IMO.

One of the most elite resumes of all time and beat as many HOF'ers as the great Harry Greb (Technically).
Old 07-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Forza
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Forza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,614,518.67
one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Viva Il Duce - Rocky... Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

andre ward is half Irish
Ali is 13% Irish if not more

" I'm gonna kill this halfbreed! " - Joe Frazier
Old 07-29-2011, 02:49 PM
sugersean15
The king of Boxing Scene

Rep Power: 13 sugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,548,282,473.72
Total Points: 9,278,710,860.71
Hilarious. - [KLTP] stream - rzagza turning green - MANIAC310 Great upload, lol - dancovboxer Keep you dry from the haters. - Kenny MF Powers 
You love it - rorymac this for u bro..MAYWEATHER MAFIA - Akhi No Message - hogwash All day! - Uncle Howie It's a brain - VEG 
Thanks - Terrel cheers bro! - Gotteskrieger For noticing Floyd drop his sparring partner in vid - BostonGuy 

Im irish so only i know bernard dunne was alright and i would have to say muhammed ali as he is irish also mike tyson is irish
Old 07-29-2011, 02:50 PM
sugersean15
The king of Boxing Scene

Rep Power: 13 sugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,548,282,473.72
Total Points: 9,278,710,860.71
Hilarious. - [KLTP] stream - rzagza turning green - MANIAC310 Great upload, lol - dancovboxer Keep you dry from the haters. - Kenny MF Powers 
You love it - rorymac this for u bro..MAYWEATHER MAFIA - Akhi No Message - hogwash All day! - Uncle Howie It's a brain - VEG 
Thanks - Terrel cheers bro! - Gotteskrieger For noticing Floyd drop his sparring partner in vid - BostonGuy 

Now that i think of IT some of the best boxer have irish in them look it up ireland=best
Old 07-29-2011, 02:50 PM
gingeralbino
WAR MAGEE!!!

Rep Power: 26 gingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 18,964,709,297,136.68
Total Points: 18,964,709,383,435.54
ugly kid is gonna need it after he gets whooped - Sir TomJones top poster - S~T~J For being a consistently rock solid poster - The Surgeon one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Happy St Patrick's Day - Freedom2014 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -Boxzilla- 

I'll restrict mine to one that were born in Ireland (north or south) and not of irish decent

a few oldies I know next to nothing about these guys other than having read a few articles:

McClarnin
NP Jack Dempsey
Tom Sharkey
Peter Maher
George Gardiner
Paddy Ryan

How good would most of these guys be considered had a certain Mr Fitzsimmons never been born?

A few modern ones:
Barry McGuigan
Steve Collins
Wayne McCullough
Bernerd Dunne

edit:- Forgot about Rinty Monaghan a rare Northern Irish world champ

Last edited by gingeralbino; 07-29-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:28 PM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry A View Post
I'll help jump-start this thread for you my friend.

Sean O'Grady
Tom Sharkey
John L.Sullivan
James J. Braddock
Tony Zale (Just kidding. Couldn't resist from the Les Darcy thread)
I like that, Zale probably wished he was Irish, lol, there's Vic Patrick and that's funny too, his real name was Lucca, a 2nd generation Italian-Australian. I like "the cut of your jib". You know you could be right about Zale v Darcy, it's possible.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:32 PM
DarkTerror88
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 DarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 135,619,022.80
Good Poster! You need a medal. - "Marvelous" thanks - Toney616 ;) - rorymac In Remembrance..... Smokin' Joe - McGoorty Merry Christmas - The Surgeon 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - "Marvelous" Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - "Marvelous" 

imho Jimmy McLarnin is the GOAT Irish fighter