Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 AM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 123,155,625,418.64
Total Points: 123,155,635,963.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitefanSHO View Post
Chavez-Taylor for sure.

The HBO crew would have you believe Taylor was easily winning the fight when in fact he was losing, especially with the knockdown in the 12th. Steele's call, whether right or wrong, prevented (what would would have been) a bad decision on the score cards and secured a win for the rightful winner, Julio Cesar Chavez.
My #1 pick.

The HBO crew completely ignored what Chavez was doing in there. They were sure to call every punch landed by Taylor (and hype-job Lampley exaggerrated the effect- "Chavez on the verge of going down!"- which he wasn't even close to doing), while never saying a aword about 90% of the DAMAGING blows JCC was landing.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 AM
BKM-2010
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 BKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,156,153,074.57
enjoyed the gif :fing02: - jose830 My bad! - Dorian have a slice, u earned it - sugarsmosley 

And thus nowadays when people bring up that fight, people automatically assume Taylor had won every round giving more weight to the argument that Steele shouldn't have stopped the fight.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 AM
fitefanSHO
KO Digest

Rep Power: 6 fitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond reputefitefanSHO has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,097,827.96
Thread, it very good - McGoorty Apologies for negging you before. You're a good poster and an asset to the forums. - It's Ovah great thread man--rock of ages - McGoorty Cheers for the help, shame i couldnt get u a real pint! - The Surgeon 

Even with the knockdown factored in to the final scoring (10-8 across the board in the 12th for Chavez), Taylor STILL would have won that fight had Steele not stopped it, and that would have been a terrible decision on the cards, so I am glad Steele did what he did because it really was the only way for the right fighter to win that fight at that point, though I am sure Steele did not know that when he did what he did, he just saw a hurt fighter not responding to direct questions.

HBO did a terrible job of describing the action and putting it all into proper context. They wanted a "superstar on the threshold of greatness" and that's how they were determined to describe Taylor no matter what was happening in there

Last edited by fitefanSHO; 07-27-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 AM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute

HBO's one-sided call took away from the fact that what was taking pace was one of the most well-fought and intense fights of all time. Take away the controversial stoppage and the HBO fraudulence, and it was truly boxing at its best, IMO.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Vilicious86
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 Vilicious86 is infamous around these partsVilicious86 is infamous around these partsVilicious86 is infamous around these partsVilicious86 is infamous around these partsVilicious86 is infamous around these partsVilicious86 is infamous around these partsVilicious86 is infamous around these partsVilicious86 is infamous around these partsVilicious86 is infamous around these partsVilicious86 is infamous around these partsVilicious86 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 50,067,219.96

Mayweather-Castillo I: I had it 7-4-1 for Mayweather. The HBO team ignored a lot of Mayweather's clean blows while going nuts over Castillo punching arms and gloves. Compubox made it look even worse. Castillo didn't land more punches than Mayweather. I don't care what anyone says.

Mayweather-Hatton: HBO's most biased performance. Lederman had Hatton up after like 6 rounds.

Calzaghe-Hopkins: Joe wasn't landing, but you wouldn't know that based on the commentary.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:07 AM
CarlosG815
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 CarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,252,362,816,766.53
Total Points: 2,252,860,877,065.85
Have a beer. - Barnburner Have some. - Hara No Message - JAB5239 

Recently Maidana vs Morales which I did not view to be near as close as others did and I can only guess it was from commentators who were feeling the emotion from the crowd whenever Morales landed a shot whether it was flush or not.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 PM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post
LOL at the Chavez nuthuggers defending the indefensible :hahahaha9: Face it: You boy was getting exposed and needed a paid-off Don King gladhandler ref to save his ass :hand9:

Poet
Not saying Chavez wasn't behind on points- he was and should have been. But, you cannot deny the HBO crew wasn't calling the fight exactly as it was happening.

My opinion is that Taylor was damaged enough to have the fight stopped, but not at the point it was stopped. He should have been allowed to continue. As a true Chavez fan, and not a nuthugger, I'd have rather had it go to the cards, Chavez lose, then come back and prove he was superior in the rematch.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 69 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,951,019,611,277,710.50
Total Points: 2,980,239,727,419,829.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincebond View Post
Mayweather-Castillo I: I had it 7-4-1 for Mayweather. The HBO team ignored a lot of Mayweather's clean blows while going nuts over Castillo punching arms and gloves. Compubox made it look even worse. Castillo didn't land more punches than Mayweather. I don't care what anyone says.

Mayweather-Hatton: HBO's most biased performance. Lederman had Hatton up after like 6 rounds.

Calzaghe-Hopkins: Joe wasn't landing, but you wouldn't know that based on the commentary.
I agree with the Mayweather fights.

Lampley was going crazy over Castillo literally landing no punches in a 4 punch combination.

And how Lederman had Ricky Hatton and Mayweather even going into the 9th (or 8th, can't remember) is literally beyond me. Cannot see how you can have that scorecard.

I have only watched the Hopkins-Calzaghe fight once and I can't really remember the commentary.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Rep Power: 57 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 116,264,328,404,868.92
Total Points: 116,264,328,409,841.41
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ziggy Stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsRstiff View Post
Not saying Chavez wasn't behind on points- he was and should have been. But, you cannot deny the HBO crew wasn't calling the fight exactly as it was happening.

My opinion is that Taylor was damaged enough to have the fight stopped, but not at the point it was stopped. He should have been allowed to continue. As a true Chavez fan, and not a nuthugger, I'd have rather had it go to the cards, Chavez lose, then come back and prove he was superior in the rematch.
Fair enough! I couldn't tell you how the HBO crew was calling it as I rarely pay attention to the squawking heads calling a fight. I tune those dudes out as a rule.

Poet
Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 PM
RubenSonny
Lagos State of Mind

Rep Power: 15 RubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,372,970,343,430.73
Total Points: 4,372,971,560,439.09
Well deserved! Great Poster! - Barnburner 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosG815 View Post
Recently Maidana vs Morales which I did not view to be near as close as others did and I can only guess it was from commentators who were feeling the emotion from the crowd whenever Morales landed a shot whether it was flush or not.
I don't think Morales won but it was definitely a close fight.