Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 07-21-2011, 01:08 PM
FinalSalvation
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,033.21
Default Beginning

Hey guys, I got a pair of gloves and a heavy bag and have been using it to gain strength and release stress. After a while I realized i enjoy it and want to start taking boxing seriously. Are there any tips that you guys can give so I can make progress and won't hurt myself.

Some background information- I'm 17 years old and am a thrower in track and play soccer so I want to do this during the summer and in free time to stay in shape. I also do weights on top of this.

Thanks
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 AM
ChowAce
Contender

Total Points: 11,999.11

Join a boxing gym if you want to take boxing seriously. You cannot do it on your own, no matter how many youtube videos you watch. Only a good trainer can help you improve and he is there to see your mistakes.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:11 AM
#1Assassin
Conveyor of Truth

Rep Power: 28 #1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,046,501,607.01
Total Points: 18,130,771,497.47
one of boxingscene's very worst posters - Freedom. one of boxingscene's very best posters - Barnburner What you said about Dempsey was real talk! - Atreyu Khalil you are one of THOSE terrible posters - Earl Hickey Eternal partnership,to MaryJane! - HughJass 
great advice in training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChowAce View Post
Join a boxing gym if you want to take boxing seriously. You cannot do it on your own, no matter how many youtube videos you watch. Only a good trainer can help you improve and he is there to see your mistakes.
co sign.

and i might add not only will training on your own not make you a good boxer, it will acctually keep you from becoming a good boxer in the future.

theres nothing worse for a trainer than a boxer whos been working out on his own before hes been taught the fundamentals properly because he will have developed bad habits that might take years to get rid off.

if u want to take boxing seriously theres just one thing to do, join a gym. leave that heavybag alone for atleast a few months until a trainer has shown you the basics, after that you can work out by yourself in addition to training at the gym.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:44 PM
FinalSalvation
Amateur

Total Points: 1,033.21

Thanks guys! Sadly, the closest gyms I could find are about an hour away and with my incoming schedule I don't think I'll have time to make it.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 AM
OxyNitro
Amateur

Total Points: 583.99

You should take balance diet as well matching your routine exercise with enough calories.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:21 PM
myboxingcoach
Up and Comer

Total Points: 1,802.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalSalvation View Post
Thanks guys! Sadly, the closest gyms I could find are about an hour away and with my incoming schedule I don't think I'll have time to make it.
You know what, if I were you I wouldn't be put off. Listen, I've been a coach for over 15 years. There are many things worse for me than resolving the bad habits of boxers, whatever the reason for the boxer developing those bad habits. I'd go one step further. My job as a coach is to resolve bad habits, wherever I find them. If I can't do that (especially with modern coaching methods), then I should not be a coach. If the boxer has enthusiasm, then I shall work as hard as I can to resolve their bad habits one by one.

Back to the point. If you want to don your gloves and work out on your heavy bag, then do so. Boxing is a highly technical business (but then I would say that wouldn't I), and being from a an athletic background then you'll be prepared to break things down to their core elements. Check out the link to my site below where you'll find a load of videos describing basic boxing skills. I'll be happy to take any questions back here.

Learn How to Box

Cheers and good luck

Fran