Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 12-21-2004, 06:18 PM
BlackBeltNow
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 BlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 14,452.00
Default tyson and olympics

Well I had always wondered why tyson never made it. One place, I heard it was politics. Other places, I heard it was b/c amateur is too different than professional, and that a guy did beat him and take his olympic spot. Can anyone help clear this up for me?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-21-2004, 06:23 PM
dansweeney
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 215 dansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 547,384.74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeltNow
Well I had always wondered why tyson never made it. One place, I heard it was politics. Other places, I heard it was b/c amateur is too different than professional, and that a guy did beat him and take his olympic spot. Can anyone help clear this up for me?

Henry Tillman beat tyson twice as an amateur, and one of those times he beat tyson out for the olympic spot, of course when tyson fought tillman as a pro he knocked his ass out
Old 12-21-2004, 06:57 PM
The Italian Stallion
Contender

Rep Power: 10 The Italian Stallion has a reputation beyond reputeThe Italian Stallion has a reputation beyond reputeThe Italian Stallion has a reputation beyond reputeThe Italian Stallion has a reputation beyond reputeThe Italian Stallion has a reputation beyond reputeThe Italian Stallion has a reputation beyond reputeThe Italian Stallion has a reputation beyond reputeThe Italian Stallion has a reputation beyond reputeThe Italian Stallion has a reputation beyond reputeThe Italian Stallion has a reputation beyond reputeThe Italian Stallion has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 57,785.00
Send a message via AIM to The Italian Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansweeney
Henry Tillman beat tyson twice as an amateur, and one of those times he beat tyson out for the olympic spot, of course when tyson fought tillman as a pro he knocked his ass out
^^^ Yeah what he said.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:22 PM
BlackBeltNow
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 BlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these partsBlackBeltNow is infamous around these parts

so anyone see the am fights tyson lost? i'm curious how he coudl have, b/c i saw some of his amateur fihgts and the extra padding didnt' seem to stop him from KOing ppl
Old 12-21-2004, 07:34 PM
SweetScience
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 SweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,000,081,092.50

Tillman was better at that time that's all. Tyson's style was most suited for the pro ranks. Tillman when on to win a gold medal and Tyson when on to become the 'baddest man on the planet'. As mentioned earlier, Tyson took out Tillman in one round.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:15 PM
BlackBeltNow
Up and Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScience
Tillman was better at that time that's all. Tyson's style was most suited for the pro ranks. Tillman when on to win a gold medal and Tyson when on to become the 'baddest man on the planet'. As mentioned earlier, Tyson took out Tillman in one round.
wait. what time was it when tyson attempted olympics? was tyson famous yet? or was he still growing
Old 12-21-2004, 08:42 PM
SweetScience
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 SweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond reputeSweetScience has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,000,081,092.50

84 Tyson fought Tillman twice and lost. It happens sometimes, Mosley didnt make the Olympic team as well.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:00 AM
BlackBeltNow
Up and Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScience
84 Tyson fought Tillman twice and lost. It happens sometimes, Mosley didnt make the Olympic team as well.
yea i was curious aobut tyson for a second reason: i guess thats not encouraging to hear for short guys who ever dreamed about going to olympcis haha
Old 12-22-2004, 02:54 AM
Yogi
Hey, Boo Boo

Rep Power: 143 Yogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 39,782.36
Boxingscene's elite - !! AI-Holmes!! To a clever bear. A Superbear! - BatTheMan 

Tyson was reportedly robbed of the decision in both of those amateur fights against Henry Tillman (I haven't seen them, only heard or read about them being robberies).

Tillman also benefitted from incompetent judging when he "beat" Willie DeWitt for the gold medal in the '84 Olympics (I have seen that one, and DeWitt definately should've got the nod).

And for the Christmas of '84, Santa Claus brought Henry all the toys that he wished for in his letter to him, and then some...
Old 12-31-2004, 08:05 PM
pug1986
Contender

Rep Power: 0 pug1986 is infamous around these partspug1986 is infamous around these partspug1986 is infamous around these partspug1986 is infamous around these partspug1986 is infamous around these partspug1986 is infamous around these partspug1986 is infamous around these partspug1986 is infamous around these partspug1986 is infamous around these partspug1986 is infamous around these partspug1986 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 14,740.00

I've watched both fights, in the first one was closer but I still think tyson won. the second he was just robbed, Tillman basically ran and slapped the whole time getting knocked down in the process, and he even loooked suprised when they raised his hand afterwards.