Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 06-15-2011, 11:37 AM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 67 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,694,990,569,811,127.25
Total Points: 1,724,210,685,940,414.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 
Default Harold Johnson at Top 100 ATG. Agree or Disagree?

I am inclined to think so and I don't see why not.

I have read plenty of Top 100 ATG lists, varying from Historians I see as legit, to the likes of Bert Sugar and even simply posters on forums.

The Ring Magazine had him at #80 out of the best 80 fighters from 1920-2000 but I can't recall ever seeing Harold Johnson amongst their Top 100.

Johnson is a HOF'er and the Lightweight Champion of the world albeit he won it as a vacant title, and in my opinion a Top 10 Light Heavyweight. Plenty have disagreed with me on that but I certainly believe he is.

He beat;

Henry Hall
Bert Lytell
Archie Moore
Bob Satterfield x2
Paul Andrews x2
Marty Mashall
Sonny Ray
Doug Jones
Gustav Scholz
Willie Pastrano
Henry Hank
Eddie Jones
Jimmy Bivins
Nino Valdes
Jimmy Slade x2
Ezzard Charles
Eddie Machen

All of which were Top 10, a handful Top 5. And a handful also went on to be ranked from Top 5 to #1 in their division after the bouts with Johnson. Which is a pretty solid resume If I ever saw one.

The obvious names that stand out on his resume are HOF'ers; Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore, Jimmy Bivins and Willie Pastrano. (I count Pastrano because Johnson won the fight regarldess to the fact they gave Pastrano the descion).Which are very impressive wins

Archie Moore had his number and that downplays his career a little having those 3 losses to him but this is Archie Moore we are talking about; A top 20 ATG and to some peoples standards a Top 10 ATG. Also, in one of their encounters I can't recall which one, Johnson was leading comfortabely in the fight going into the 14th but was stopped in the 14th.

Along with those names he has veyr solid wins such as; Satterfield, Valdez, Machen, Jones, amongst others.

To me, that is a Top 100 ATG level fighter, atleast.

What do you guys think?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Steak
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 35 Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 771,838,407.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 

I dont even attempt to make a top 100 list, there are just too many fighters and too much criteria.

but anyone who could beat Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore and Jimmy Bivins among others sure as hell seems to me to be top 100 worthy.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
RubenSonny
Lagos State of Mind

Rep Power: 15 RubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,718,769,628,630.20
Total Points: 2,718,770,844,064.21
Well deserved! Great Poster! - Barnburner 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Definately an all-time great.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 PM
cja07007
Contender

Rep Power: 5 cja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 25,254.82
thanks for the link - BostonGuy No Message - BostonGuy No Message - BostonGuy No Message - BostonGuy No Message - BostonGuy 
No Message - BostonGuy 

I also am going to say that I don't have a top 100. I just don't know enough about every boxer to think I can make one worth anything. But he was no doubt in my mind an all-time great. Talk about a guy who fought everyone and had a ton of skill. He was a fighter who defined his era. Also I love the the way he setup his shots, stands out every time I see him fight.

Good highlight video that was on here a wile back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE8xqtIkXsk
Old 06-15-2011, 03:50 PM
The Surgeon
Days Of Glory

Rep Power: 54 The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 163,183,419,922.27
Total Points: 276,168,289,750.96
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

He's first class and there's definately a case for him being top 100 when u look at that resume.

Still i wouldnt know where the hell to begin doing a top 100 so i'll reframe from making the call but like i said the guys First class
Old 06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 67 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cja07007 View Post
I also am going to say that I don't have a top 100. I just don't know enough about every boxer to think I can make one worth anything. But he was no doubt in my mind an all-time great. Talk about a guy who fought everyone and had a ton of skill. He was a fighter who defined his era. Also I love the the way he setup his shots, stands out every time I see him fight.

Good highlight video that was on here a wile back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE8xqtIkXsk
Harold is one of my favourite fighters and one of the best textbook fighters I have ever seen. He's just amazing to watch. Even fights were he was past prime like Pastrano where he took him to school.

Very skilled, very talented, very gifted, can fight you going back and can fight you going forward, can beat you up on the inside and completely outclass you from the outside.

A great fighter.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:22 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

The consesus seems to be that he is a Top 100 ATG.

Seems strange that he is so rarely included on them in the lists I have seen.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Another fun fact for you guys;

Harold Johnson was set to fight Sonny Liston in 1955 but was replaced by Marty Marhsall (The first man to beat Sonny Liston a few years prior) last minute due to an injury suffered in training by Johnson.

I would have to say that Johnson is lucky he got injured because Liston would have eaten him alive
Old 06-15-2011, 04:52 PM
$BloodyNate$
GUCCI

Rep Power: 24 $BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 131,609,422,683.56
Total Points: 131,610,430,266.46
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest Happy Birthday :) - Bossy 
Hepatitis C - Spray_resistant Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

I think he definitely should be competing for a decent spot because he already definitely should get in. He beat Charles before Rocky got to him so that's a pretty decent win and beat Archie waaaaaay before Ali fought him so it's not like those 2 ATG's were majorly past their prime even if they were past it.

I don't think their like Calzaghe's win over Roy Jones, but more on the lines of Joe's win over Hopkins which I think is an A- win, then he has wins over some decent world champs so yeah it's a no brainier. Actually pretty ****in crazy he's forgotten like this.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Rockin'
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 31,588,368,032,279.08
Total Points: 31,588,368,073,513.83
have a drink bud - peyk-peyk another one bud - peyk-peyk tnx 4 the green champ - BoZz Have a beer on me... - BulgariasFinest I have great respect for you as a poster - rorymac 
Much appreciated my friend - BulgariasFinest thanks champ, respect :) - calmdown you were a good opponent or whatever, now its over between you and me as rivals or fake rivals, whatever it was, lol, no more problems from me to you in my part - Tha_Greatest 10k. Keep postin'. - BattlingNelson Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 
10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery 
for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

if every fighter who was to ever be called an all-time great had to produce a resume like that we wouldn't have many all-time greats.

Bill Miller praised him highly..................Rockin'