Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 AM
BrananaRepublic
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 4 BrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 18,402.61
Question Weight lifting and boxing

I just started boxing at an actual gym recently and I haven't been able to lift weights on my normal schedule. How should I go about lifting weights while also boxing? Body Building is important to me and I go about it seriously, but I'm also serious about boxing.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-12-2011, 03:58 AM
Rockin'
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 31,588,368,032,279.08
Total Points: 31,588,368,073,319.83
have a drink bud - peyk-peyk another one bud - peyk-peyk tnx 4 the green champ - BoZz Have a beer on me... - BulgariasFinest I have great respect for you as a poster - rorymac 
Much appreciated my friend - BulgariasFinest thanks champ, respect :) - calmdown you were a good opponent or whatever, now its over between you and me as rivals or fake rivals, whatever it was, lol, no more problems from me to you in my part - Tha_Greatest 10k. Keep postin'. - BattlingNelson Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 
10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery 
for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrananaRepublic View Post
I just started boxing at an actual gym recently and I haven't been able to lift weights on my normal schedule. How should I go about lifting weights while also boxing? Body Building is important to me and I go about it seriously, but I'm also serious about boxing.
It seems to me that body building is the last thing that a fighter would want to do. Lifting weights is one thing and body building is another.

When I fought I had a weight training class in school for my last 3 semesters. Some days I would lift heavy some days I would lift light with high reps.

I did have to move up in weight, over all from 132 to 139 over the 2 years or so. My finish max on bench was 245 and final squat was 320. With the boxing workouts I never got bulky, just very well defined.

It didn't have a negative affect on me at all, as a matter of fact it made me much stronger in the ring and alot more confident.

I lifted at about 10 am every other day with running on the off days. I had plenty of time to recoupe my strength to train at the boxing gym at 7pm.

I'm telling you that boxing and body building don't mix. Every muscle head that I encountered in the ring was easy to stun with shots to the head, it just seemed that they packed on all of these pounds but essentially still excepted the shots like a smaller fighter might have.

With bodybuilding it seems just an ego thing with these guys anyway, theywant to look like bad assese to the ladies. I'll take my boxer build over that any day knowing that I am a bad ass with the skills I've developed through the years.

Lift weights to build strength is good with boxing. Lifting weights to bulkup will get you hurt in the ring eventually...............Rockin'
Old 06-12-2011, 06:00 AM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,108,348.80

I agree with the above.

For years, I have been lifting weights for strength not size, but I have gained quite a bit of mass. I haven't boxed competitively for years but I often think of giving it another go. But then I realise I am 85 kg, and my "natural" weight, without lifting weights, would probably be less than 70 kg. I could probably do ok around 70kg but I know I wouldn't be able to handle the power of a natural cruiser weight - been rocked too many times in sparring by lads around my current weight.

That being said, I do know of lads who have put on quite a bit of muscle mass from lifting, and hence, are fighting well above their natural weight class. Some of them are doing very well (they have good chins though). One of them has stopped his first 3 opponents in the first round, so don't let my opinion discourage you.

What do you weigh at the present?

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:06 PM
BrananaRepublic
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 4 BrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond reputeBrananaRepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAuthority View Post
I agree with the above.

For years, I have been lifting weights for strength not size, but I have gained quite a bit of mass. I haven't boxed competitively for years but I often think of giving it another go. But then I realise I am 85 kg, and my "natural" weight, without lifting weights, would probably be less than 70 kg. I could probably do ok around 70kg but I know I wouldn't be able to handle the power of a natural cruiser weight - been rocked too many times in sparring by lads around my current weight.

That being said, I do know of lads who have put on quite a bit of muscle mass from lifting, and hence, are fighting well above their natural weight class. Some of them are doing very well (they have good chins though). One of them has stopped his first 3 opponents in the first round, so don't let my opinion discourage you.

What do you weigh at the present?

Good luck.
Right now I'm at about 170lbs at 6'2" But if I didn't lift I would probably be about 140lbs. My goal weight is 220 so I have a long way to go, but I'm only 16.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:13 PM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,108,348.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrananaRepublic View Post
Right now I'm at about 170lbs at 6'2" But if I didn't lift I would probably be about 140lbs. My goal weight is 220 so I have a long way to go, but I'm only 16.
Ah right ... 170 lbs at 6 foot 2 is good for boxing. I imagined you being some kind of hulk.

What is your priority? Boxing or weightlifting?
What days/nights do you box?
Can you lift weights in the mornings?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:56 PM
BrananaRepublic
Up and Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAuthority View Post
Ah right ... 170 lbs at 6 foot 2 is good for boxing. I imagined you being some kind of hulk.

What is your priority? Boxing or weightlifting?
What days/nights do you box?
Can you lift weights in the mornings?
I box Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 4 to 5. I'm going to start boxing Tuesday and Thursday as well. I could work out in the morning, because it's summer. I plan on weight lifting for a very long time, but I don't plan on taking boxing too far. I would like to compete somewhat but not really take it into my 20's at all, at least actual competition wise. I will still train then. I just would like to become proficient in it. I was thinking about trying to box in college but I'm worried about the physical repercussions. Specifically on the damage one endures to their face.

Last edited by BrananaRepublic; 06-13-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 AM
digit
Amateur

Total Points: 2,392.89

the bigger your muscles the more oxygen they need.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 AM
barfly12
Up and Comer

Total Points: 1,005,390.14
Default Decide what your priorities are

boxing or bodybuilding. You can lift your way into another, tougher weight division the same way you can eat your way into it. You will wind up fighting bigger stronger men who are much harder to knock down. In boxing, train for strength and flexibility without the bulk. It can be done. Read up.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:15 AM
killsomething
Contender

Rep Power: 0 killsomething is infamous around these partskillsomething is infamous around these partskillsomething is infamous around these partskillsomething is infamous around these partskillsomething is infamous around these partskillsomething is infamous around these partskillsomething is infamous around these partskillsomething is infamous around these partskillsomething is infamous around these partskillsomething is infamous around these partskillsomething is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 3,639.65

Boxing will hurt your bodybuilding; bodybuilding will DESTROY your boxing.

At 6'2 170 you're at a good height/weight ratio, so if you were really serious about boxing my advice would be to switch to a strength training routine--your muscles are for all intents and purposes inflated. You can strengthen them to their current full potential without growing them further.

If you're serious about bodybuilding (ie you want to compete), then stick with that and use boxing as a cardio supplement to keep your bodyfat low.

This is one of those situations where you actually can't be serious about both.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 AM
fatburnquest
Amateur

Total Points: 496.07

they contridct each other, you have to pick one