Who's Your Fav All Time Amatuer Fighter? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Perfect Plex
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 11 Perfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 4,277,229.13
For your contributions to the History Section - Barnburner Stay safe - rorymac Good thread - rorymac 
Default Who's Your Fav All Time Amatuer Fighter?

& Why? Past or Present which amatuer boxer do you most enjoy watching?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Terry A
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 12 Terry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,400,085,081.47
Start you off mate your first gift.. - The Gully Gad To one of boxingscenes best - JAB5239 Thanks for the boxing mags! - hunkysoupbone get well soon - NewYork For Quality posting and for being such a genuine dude! - The Surgeon 
Missed having you around, Have a beer pal - McGoorty A true historian. - Barnburner 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BattlingNelson 

I remember Breland was knocking everybody out & that was impressive. But when he turned pro, his career, in my opinion, fell short of all the lofty expectations. So it wasn't him.

I remember watching Mitch Green win the New York GG's and John Condon calling the fights. Something about the way he looked, acted and the way he acted with total confidence in the ring made me a life time fan of "Blood". Even today, I enjoy watching his interviews. Funny guy. But it wasn't him either.

Ricky Womack was probably one of the meanest ever amateur fighters. He actually hated people he fought. I remember when he was in them battles with Evander Holyfield, before one of their fights, he walked up to Holyfield and stepped on Holyfield's foot and then grinded it around like he was putting out a cigarette. Holyfield said he was so mad at Womack that he actually had tears in his eyes but held back whacking him until they fought. Womack led a real troubled life, to say the least. He stole, robbed, served time and tragically took his own lfe. But it wan't Womack for me either.

Holyfield stood up to Womack and beat Bennie Heard, Keith Vining & ended up at the top of the heap as the best lightheavyweight in a period that had many fine 178 lbers. But it wasn't him either.

I remember I also liked Clint Jackson, Bernard Taylor, Michael Dokes, Greg Page, John Tate, Leroy Murphy, Skipper Kelp, Larry Donald, Riddick Bowe & Roy Jones. But they weren't my favorite.

My all-time favorite amateur boxer was Leon Spinks. From where he came from to getting that Gold medal was an almost unbelievable achievment. Plus his all action, punches in bunches & from everywhere style appealed to me.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Perfect Plex
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 Perfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 4,277,229.13
For your contributions to the History Section - Barnburner Stay safe - rorymac Good thread - rorymac 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry A View Post
I remember Breland was knocking everybody out & that was impressive. But when he turned pro, his career, in my opinion, fell short of all the lofty expectations. So it wasn't him.

I remember watching Mitch Green win the New York GG's and John Condon calling the fights. Something about the way he looked, acted and the way he acted with total confidence in the ring made me a life time fan of "Blood". Even today, I enjoy watching his interviews. Funny guy. But it wasn't him either.

Ricky Womack was probably one of the meanest ever amateur fighters. He actually hated people he fought. I remember when he was in them battles with Evander Holyfield, before one of their fights, he walked up to Holyfield and stepped on Holyfield's foot and then grinded it around like he was putting out a cigarette. Holyfield said he was so mad at Womack that he actually had tears in his eyes but held back whacking him until they fought. Womack led a real troubled life, to say the least. He stole, robbed, served time and tragically took his own lfe. But it wan't Womack for me either.

Holyfield stood up to Womack and beat Bennie Heard, Keith Vining & ended up at the top of the heap as the best lightheavyweight in a period that had many fine 178 lbers. But it wasn't him either.

I remember I also liked Clint Jackson, Bernard Taylor, Michael Dokes, Greg Page, John Tate, Leroy Murphy, Skipper Kelp, Larry Donald, Riddick Bowe & Roy Jones. But they weren't my favorite.

My all-time favorite amateur boxer was Leon Spinks. From where he came from to getting that Gold medal was an almost unbelievable achievment. Plus his all action, punches in bunches & from everywhere style appealed to me.
Great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:13 PM
SCtrojansbaby
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 19 SCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,361,074.85
No Message - Toney616 Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Christmas amigo - chav 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

Henry Maske
Old 06-11-2011, 02:18 AM
-JUGGERNAUT-
Banned

Total Points: 5,007,900.71
excellent poster - Freedom. 

Jimmy Twite is my favourite amateur fighter.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:48 AM
The Surgeon
Days Of Glory

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Rep Power: 57 The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,182,011,866,605.99
Total Points: 203,294,996,745,212.62
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

Dick McTaggart probably but im not a huge follower of the AM scene
Old 08-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Dynamite76
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Rep Power: 16 Dynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 100,084,118.86

Greg Page and Mark Breland.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:23 PM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 4033 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 150,126,020,176.29
Total Points: 150,126,038,796.21

When you tuned into an amateur show (there were plenty in the 80's) and you knew Breland was gonna fight....it was as exciting as a pro fight. Breland was KO artist as an amateur....and that is highly unusual.

It was also very exciting to know Felix Savon was fighting, even if he was Cuban.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,067,408.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Papp with an honourable mention to our own Jabs of course

Share This With Friends

Tags
amatuer, fighter?, time, who's

User Tag List