Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 06-10-2011, 04:39 AM
Left2theliver
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 8 Left2theliver has a brilliant futureLeft2theliver has a brilliant futureLeft2theliver has a brilliant futureLeft2theliver has a brilliant futureLeft2theliver has a brilliant futureLeft2theliver has a brilliant futureLeft2theliver has a brilliant futureLeft2theliver has a brilliant futureLeft2theliver has a brilliant futureLeft2theliver has a brilliant futureLeft2theliver has a brilliant future
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 60,510.06
Default How did you feel your first time walking into a gym?

Just thought it'd be nice for anyone who trains to share how they were feeling the first time they stepped foot inside a boxing gym and what they learned.

For me, I was intimidated as **** and nervous as hell! I've trained in kickboxing, karate, brazilian jiu jitsu, submission wrestling, and I wrestled in highschool. BUT, i was always taught that the atmosphere of a boxing gym was completely different, and that everyone would look to kick my ass. But, lone behold, it wasn't too bad. I just learned that as long as you walk in, stay humble, and put in the work you need to, then things will go alright.

It'd be nice to hear from others. That way, anyone who's never stepped into a gym and would like to could be at ease a little.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-10-2011, 05:47 AM
wonderhorse
Amateur

Total Points: 4,871.37

I was really quite nervous the first time.

It was full of people really in shape, with proper boxing shoes and expensive looking gloves, and I walked in without even a pair of wraps. That was a few months ago.

It's a really friendly place though, and the camaraderie is great. It's helped me become a much more confident person.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Pez
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 8 Pez has a reputation beyond reputePez has a reputation beyond reputePez has a reputation beyond reputePez has a reputation beyond reputePez has a reputation beyond reputePez has a reputation beyond reputePez has a reputation beyond reputePez has a reputation beyond reputePez has a reputation beyond reputePez has a reputation beyond reputePez has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 48,805,738,286.49
Total Points: 49,805,744,701.64

First day was not bad at all. One guy introduced himself to me and the rest followed. It was a welcoming experience. I can't say they're all friendly but they don't seem to be the kind to bust people's chops unless you give them a good reason to.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Nate S.
Contender

Rep Power: 4 Nate S. will become famous soon enoughNate S. will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 4,164.62

Yeah I was nervous too and everyone looked pretty serious plus I was the only non mexican there lol but actually most everyone at my gym is real cool and supportive.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Terry A
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 10 Terry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,400,065,688.47
Start you off mate your first gift.. - The Gully Gad To one of boxingscenes best - JAB5239 Thanks for the boxing mags! - hunkysoupbone get well soon - NewYork For Quality posting and for being such a genuine dude! - The Surgeon 
Missed having you around, Have a beer pal - McGoorty A true historian. - Barnburner 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BattlingNelson 

I liked watching boxing since 1971 when Ali & Frazier first fought. I had wrestled since I was 6 but never tried boxing until 1974-1975. By then I liked it so much that I was more excited then afraid when I finally went to a boxing gym. I was greeted nicely by the coach & there were only 4-5 other kids in there when I first started. I had already bought a heavybag & a speed bag & had been hitting them in my cellar. But I had never sparred before. I was pretty nervous but not afraid I think because I was already used to competition from wrestling. I was more afraid of looking bad then I was of getting hurt.

I remember how winded I got so quickly and also, how frustrated I was at never being able to connect clean withn any of my shots. The sparring seemed to be a blur. I didn't do good at all because I couldn't hit the other guy clean.

I do remember how great a ride home that was though. I was a boxer!

I only had 39 amateur fights. Always was my biggest dream to fight pro but I had to work since I was 11. I never had all the time to train that it took to ever get really accomplished. But I was able to buy my own car & paid all my payments, repairs, insurance, gas, etc. on my own. I always thought that "next year", I'll be able to pick up extra training time but "next year" never came. I got married at 20 & had two wonderful children that I wouldn't trade for everything in the world.

Never did fight pro but I did learn that I could take care of myself in almost any circumstances. Boxing gave me oodles of confidence for the rest of my life. It really is a great fraternity. Once you fought in the ring, you have a special appreciation for anyone else who ever fought. Boxing made us all brothers in a sense.

Sorry I got somewhat off track & rambled. It was nice to finally say all that though.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:26 AM
Uselesspoop
Amateur

Total Points: 2,473.33

Gosh! The first time i tried to locate the gym, i had to travel about 1 hour by public transport and i walked for about 90 minutes around because i just couldn't find the gym! I was so angry, tired, worn out and lost... I asked around and finally found it..

I was very nervous
Old 06-11-2011, 01:48 AM
boxer2k5
im a sociable person

Rep Power: 21 boxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,220,842.10

excited nervous all at the same
Old 06-11-2011, 06:57 AM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,108,000.48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry A View Post
I liked watching boxing since 1971 when Ali & Frazier first fought. I had wrestled since I was 6 but never tried boxing until 1974-1975. By then I liked it so much that I was more excited then afraid when I finally went to a boxing gym. I was greeted nicely by the coach & there were only 4-5 other kids in there when I first started. I had already bought a heavybag & a speed bag & had been hitting them in my cellar. But I had never sparred before. I was pretty nervous but not afraid I think because I was already used to competition from wrestling. I was more afraid of looking bad then I was of getting hurt.

I remember how winded I got so quickly and also, how frustrated I was at never being able to connect clean withn any of my shots. The sparring seemed to be a blur. I didn't do good at all because I couldn't hit the other guy clean.

I do remember how great a ride home that was though. I was a boxer!

I only had 39 amateur fights. Always was my biggest dream to fight pro but I had to work since I was 11. I never had all the time to train that it took to ever get really accomplished. But I was able to buy my own car & paid all my payments, repairs, insurance, gas, etc. on my own. I always thought that "next year", I'll be able to pick up extra training time but "next year" never came. I got married at 20 & had two wonderful children that I wouldn't trade for everything in the world.

Never did fight pro but I did learn that I could take care of myself in almost any circumstances. Boxing gave me oodles of confidence for the rest of my life. It really is a great fraternity. Once you fought in the ring, you have a special appreciation for anyone else who ever fought. Boxing made us all brothers in a sense.

Sorry I got somewhat off track & rambled. It was nice to finally say all that though.
Great post.

I agree entirely with the bolded. A quick browse of NSB suggests to me that many posters have never put on a pair of gloves.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:15 AM
raf727
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 5 raf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 131,659,627,035.91
Total Points: 131,659,629,443.83
kick this bum - Freedom. Have a beer! - Barnburner Anyone that gets a kick me from Freedom, is ok with me. - RossCA No Message - RossCA 

i was mad scared ya know, i guess apprehensive is the word?

but i mean i walked in and it was exactly what i hoped, small kinda dirty place in the basement of some highrise building, everyone was cool and treated me pretty good. then i found out it was free, which made it even better
Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 AM
mrboxer
Banned

Rep Power: 0 mrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 41,687.24

i felt great i walked in as if i were a seasoned pro