Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 AM
DWiens421
Mission Complete!

Rep Power: 63 DWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 113,744,579.71
Total Points: 113,919,930.71
We're twins now! :D - -Hyperion- Thanks man - starjammer Eat Fresh - Dorian 10,000 Posts! - Tunney Truce - WLAD OWNS 
a toast to team klitoris! lmao - Left Hook Tua Tye Bible, Page 23 Talks about his dive vs Monte - Dorian Replacing the old gift.. from top rookie to top poster - Welter_Skelter a drink for winky. - Left Hook Tua Juanma Lopez! - Dorian 
boxingscene top ten serious poster - mickey gomez Thank you for the great compliment. - JAB5239 Cheers bro. DWiens FTW! - danc1984 cheers - Makavelli Good Poster! - J. HITTER 
That was a funny thread. - El Gallo Negro! You complete me, ese. - El Gallo Homo! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Bollocks 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
Have you ever actually heard anyone use the word in that way?

It is always associated with violence, now it can be used in that way because committing a violent act is not moral but really violence has nothing to do with it.

One of my many pet peeves with the usage of the English language
Not even once. The mischievous side of me wants to use it in a paper that I write for a class in the fall semester, specifically for the opportunity to tell the professor to suck it and make them increase my grade (even if the misspelling was not part of the formula that lowered the grade in the first place). Pretty brilliant, eh?

Anyway, are there any other words in the English language that are used incorrectly nearly 100% of the time? This topic interests me a lot, and since this thread wasn't meant to actually promote discussion, I don't feel too badly about highjacking it.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 AM
The Gambler1981
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 51 The Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,209,436,650,170.81
Total Points: 2,220,036,760,752.32
respect. - mellow_mood you deserve a metal for defending the woman beater, lol, nyahahaha - Tha_Greatest always a good poster. have a beer. - jreckoning \m/ - Kenny MF Powers thanks brother - mrpain81 
great easy logical advice you gave for others on the thunderdome for trolls like me, lol, everything you stated i have stated to many people but few people would take mind of what you wrote, lol, excellent post, plain  logic to keep your composure fo - Tha_Greatest No Message - mathed thatll be 5$ - sugarsmosley 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWiens421 View Post
Not even once. The mischievous side of me wants to use it in a paper that I write for a class in the fall semester, specifically for the opportunity to tell the professor to suck it and make them increase my grade (even if the misspelling was not part of the formula that lowered the grade in the first place). Pretty brilliant, eh?

Anyway, are there any other words in the English language that are used incorrectly nearly 100% of the time? This topic interests me a lot, and since this thread wasn't meant to actually promote discussion, I don't feel too badly about highjacking it.
Redundant people mess up a lot and of course irony~

I will think about it as I am going to bed, an English person would be good to ask though because they always complain about our usage of the english language~

Last edited by The Gambler1981; 06-09-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Squizz
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Squizz is infamous around these partsSquizz is infamous around these partsSquizz is infamous around these partsSquizz is infamous around these partsSquizz is infamous around these partsSquizz is infamous around these partsSquizz is infamous around these partsSquizz is infamous around these partsSquizz is infamous around these partsSquizz is infamous around these partsSquizz is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 250,071,194.70

I can't see how Ortiz is "cherry-picking" anything here. Sure Floyd's older, and coming off a long layoff, but if you know anything about Floyd, you know, come fight fight, he's gonna' be the toughest opponent Ortiz has faced in his career, by a WIDE MARGIN.

My hat's off to Ortiz for taking such a tough fight at WW.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 AM
DWiens421
Mission Complete!

Rep Power: 63 DWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond reputeDWiens421 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 113,744,579.71
Total Points: 113,919,930.71
We're twins now! :D - -Hyperion- Thanks man - starjammer Eat Fresh - Dorian 10,000 Posts! - Tunney Truce - WLAD OWNS 
a toast to team klitoris! lmao - Left Hook Tua Tye Bible, Page 23 Talks about his dive vs Monte - Dorian Replacing the old gift.. from top rookie to top poster - Welter_Skelter a drink for winky. - Left Hook Tua Juanma Lopez! - Dorian 
boxingscene top ten serious poster - mickey gomez Thank you for the great compliment. - JAB5239 Cheers bro. DWiens FTW! - danc1984 cheers - Makavelli Good Poster! - J. HITTER 
That was a funny thread. - El Gallo Negro! You complete me, ese. - El Gallo Homo! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Bollocks 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
Redundant people mess up a lot and of course irony~

I will think about it as I am going to bed, an English person would be good to ask though because they always complain about our usage of the english language~
I always thought that redundant was a synonym for repetitive, but since you listed it, and that is the way everyone uses it, that's obviously not correct. If you happen to drop by this thread and wouldn't mind explaining that one as well, I'd be appreciative.

And yes, irony is misused more often than it is used correctly probably, and there really is no excuse, as it is common knowledge that it is misused a lot. I wonder how much Alanis Morrissette had to do with the trend to call things that are devoid of irony "ironic."

Also, it's a rarity anymore that I come to BoxingScene and find myself treated to good conversation like I used to when I joined in 2007 when things were better (or maybe I just thought they were better because I was an ignorant n00b, and would likely be classified as a reasonable ***** by the current member's of the board). Even more rare is finding myself engaged in good conversation that is about something other than boxing. I really do want to thank you for this little discussion about the incorrect deployment of words in the English language. I enjoyed it a lot.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:14 AM
PRINCE O' PROSE
Banned

Rep Power: 0 PRINCE O' PROSE is infamous around these partsPRINCE O' PROSE is infamous around these partsPRINCE O' PROSE is infamous around these partsPRINCE O' PROSE is infamous around these partsPRINCE O' PROSE is infamous around these partsPRINCE O' PROSE is infamous around these partsPRINCE O' PROSE is infamous around these partsPRINCE O' PROSE is infamous around these partsPRINCE O' PROSE is infamous around these partsPRINCE O' PROSE is infamous around these partsPRINCE O' PROSE is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 56,990.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWiens421 View Post
I really do want to thank you for this little discussion about the incorrect deployment of words in the English language. I enjoyed it a lot.
Eye see what you did there.