Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Reply
Thread Navigation

#11
Old 06-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Steak
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 10,816
Rep Power: 35 Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 105,478,740.20
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 771,845,055.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 
Default

who cares who 'avoided' Wright. fact is, he didnt fight them, so Im not going to add to his legacy for imaginary wins. if you really want a fight with a top level fighter and deserve a shot at them, chances are you will get your chance...you just have to make big concessions and get your name out there more.


as it is, he was a solid fighter, but not without his flaws. was a horrible type of matchup against guys like Trinidad and Mosley, but would have suffered against opponents that could have worked around his guard and kept him in his shell. Im thinking someone like Mike McCallum would have had a field day with him to be honest.

might get into the HOF. very good jab.
Reply With Quote
Steak is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#12
Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 26,024
Rep Power: 68 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 29,220,116,134,701.60
Bank: 2,107,507,727,474,368.25
Total Points: 2,136,727,843,609,069.75
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Liquor View Post
Who was the #1 IBF contender to Titio's belt when he left for the MW tourney? Winky already won the title mandatory for the IBF title and was in line for the shot at vargas before he got murked by tito, and was there for Tito. (he was there long before that as well)

Vargas was a well know ducker of winky after winky backed him up and spanked him in their first fight....

And Winky got Shane cuz Mayorga lost to Spinks and Shane needed a name on HBO..

East Side Boxing: What are you thoughts of DelaHoya. When I spoke with him last in November, he said specifically “Without a doubt, I’ll never step in the ring with Winky Wright.” What are your thoughts about that? He had his reasons for it but what do you think his reasons were for it?

Winky Wright: I think his reasons are because he knows I’m a tough fighter. I’m a fighter that can do everything; I can fight, I can box. I come in shape and he’s got to be prepared for a fight. He might try and say that the reason is that it’s not marketable when we’re going to show everyone it’s marketable with me and Shane so the DelaHoya fight will definitely be marketable. But look, I’m hoping that he changes his mind after the fight (after he sees me and Mosley). You know what I’m saying? I want him to say, “look he deserves this fight and he’s been waiting a long time and he beat everybody to get to me, and he deserves this opportunity!”

This is prior to Oscar offering him 65-35 and Winky turning it down. Winky was calling out Oscar for yrs before that offer was made. Winky knew he could no longer be avoided and he wasn't after Shane had to fight him.....

I'm not saying it was a good business decision but lets not act like Winky wasn't avoided. Dan seems to think he wanted to go to England and fight mediocre guys in Europe. He wanted to go to defend his title vs Harry SImon in South Africa?????? Where the fight was announced as a draw but then changed to a W for Simon..... He was basically a champ at 154 from 1996-2004 before he got a big name.... Well, he got a big name once, put up an exciting bout that he lost but the majority of people thought he won and proved that he's a nightmare in the ring. Then he finally gets the fight with Shane 5 YEARS after the "loss" to Vargas. Obviously he wasn't content to fight b-c level guys like Dan's ridiculous theory because as soon as he made a name off of a big name, he only fought the best and big names. Mosley, Mosley, Trinidad, Taylor, Bhop, ancient Quartay (finally) and Pwill.

Winky was a terrible businessman and that stupid chip that he carried on his shoulder caused him to lose out on a ton of dough. he wanted to be the draw so bad, that when he was finally getting good fights, he pulled the same shi t on other guys that was done to him by Vargas, Tito and Oscar. IE, wanting more money from Floyd for a fight he would have won pretty handily. Same thing for the Taylor rematch.
When have I ever said 'Winky would only fight B-C level fighters'?

Winky evidently was willing to fight higher level fighters than that, he proved it more than enough times.

But the fact is he wasn't avoided like you claim. You throw names like Quartey and Tito in there as if they ducked Winky when it's utterly untrue.

Why is Tito going to fight Winky Wright when he is moving to Middleweight to eventually fight Bernard Hopkins?

You say 'Quartey (finally)' as if he was available to fight Winky Wright..

He had a chance to fight Oscar and turned it down. This is a fact. So let's say Oscar said 'I won't fight him' I don't atually recall that but for arguments sake let's say he did when Winky had the chance he did the exact same thing and turned the fight down.

What about Catillejo? Was he avoided by those names also? I'm sure he would loved to have fight them as much as Winky Wright would have.

Winky may not have been able to get all the fights he wanted, who does? But to say he was notoriously avoided like you claim is just simply untrue.

And the fact still remains he had chances to fight for huge paydays against the alleged guys he 'really wanted to fight' and turned them down. No one's fault but his own.
Reply With Quote
IronDanHamza is offline
#13
Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Walt Liquor
the opposite of pure
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Broward
Posts: 32,722
Rep Power: 101 Walt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond reputeWalt Liquor has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,482,500,346,150.88
Bank: 3,519,174,279,467.96
Total Points: 14,001,674,625,618.84
Chunk Cake - Chunk have a beer on me bro! - led some malt liqour for Walt Liqour - sweetpea87 Cheers for baby boy! - led One more for the boy! - led 
Congratulations on a baby boy :) - *Boss Lady* Congrats. - Libido Sanchez Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Happy Holidays Walter! :) - Lorily Happy New Year - Freedom. 
For being a Irish racist - Cuauhtémoc1502 I like your avatar - zab191 I like your avatar - zab191 Merry Christmas Walt. I hope you and your family have a great one. - deanrw the link on your sig made me pull over on the NJ Turnpike :D - jose830 
happy new year walt. - HUGH JASS you killed it! in the 90's hip hop thread :boxing: - jose830 congrats on your daughters first gig walt,you must be very proud. - HUGH JASS Rest In Peace - -Kev- RIP homie! - -jose- 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - BoxingPromoter Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ƒallenloki Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Scientist 
Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - The Scientist Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Flab Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Flab Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Flab Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - -veteran420- 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -veteran420- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - LeeVanCleef Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jazluvr 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - D.I.E.S.E.L World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MANIAC310 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Unknown Champ Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Unknown Champ 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
When have I ever said 'Winky would only fight B-C level fighters'?

Winky evidently was willing to fight higher level fighters than that, he proved it more than enough times.

But the fact is he wasn't avoided like you claim. You throw names like Quartey and Tito in there as if they ducked Winky when it's utterly untrue.

Why is Tito going to fight Winky Wright when he is moving to Middleweight to eventually fight Bernard Hopkins?

You say 'Quartey (finally)' as if he was available to fight Winky Wright..

He had a chance to fight Oscar and turned it down. This is a fact. So let's say Oscar said 'I won't fight him' I don't atually recall that but for arguments sake let's say he did when Winky had the chance he did the exact same thing and turned the fight down.

What about Catillejo? Was he avoided by those names also? I'm sure he would loved to have fight them as much as Winky Wright would have.

Winky may not have been able to get all the fights he wanted, who does? But to say he was notoriously avoided like you claim is just simply untrue.

And the fact still remains he had chances to fight for huge paydays against the alleged guys he 'really wanted to fight' and turned them down. No one's fault but his own.
you mentioned that winky was content to just defend his titles against b-c level guys in another thread we were talking about winky in....

you constantly ignore the fact that I'm saying he was avoided up until shane finally fought him and he made a name for himself. i'm well aware of his horrible business decisions and all the high profile fights he got.

you and steak both- yes there are guys that don't get the shots they want, rarely are those guys champs and so highly regarded for as long as winky was, so you can keep your castellejo arguments....
Reply With Quote
Walt Liquor is offline
#14
Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Bushbaby
Wild Apache
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tacoma by way of St Croix.
Posts: 22,784
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 57 Bushbaby has disabled reputation
Points: 1,255,321,584,963.14
Bank: 24,689,040,879,802.92
Total Points: 25,944,362,464,766.06
A fellow Williams fan! - Monkz cheers - LarryX2011 one of the best posters - MANIAC310 great fukkin poster - chiguy91 Happy new years - MANIAC310 
For a standup guy! - CubanGuyNYC Bradley's taking this thing down - mathed Happy Christmas amigo - chav Great poster. - CounterPunching Great Tribute to Miguel Cotto!  Thank you for taking the time! - Da Boxer 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - F-22 Raptor Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mathed Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - LoadedWraps 
Default

I think Winky was 1 of the best jr middleweights ever.Before Martinez,there was Winky.
Reply With Quote
Bushbaby is offline
#15
Old 06-13-2011, 01:12 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 26,024
Rep Power: 68 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 29,220,116,134,701.60
Bank: 2,107,507,727,474,368.25
Total Points: 2,136,727,843,609,069.75
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Liquor View Post
you mentioned that winky was content to just defend his titles against b-c level guys in another thread we were talking about winky in....
At the start of his reign he was more than happy racking up solid defneces like Keith Mulling and a Bronco McKart trilogy.

Evidently is was open to bigger fighters and wasn't afraid to get in the ring with anyone per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Liquor View Post
you constantly ignore the fact that I'm saying he was avoided up until shane finally fought him and he made a name for himself. i'm well aware of his horrible business decisions and all the high profile fights he got.
I know what saying.

But, he wasn't. Especially not by Quartey and Trinidad and nor was he by Oscar or Castillejo.

I guess you could argue he was by Vargas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Liquor View Post
you and steak both- yes there are guys that don't get the shots they want, rarely are those guys champs and so highly regarded for as long as winky was, so you can keep your castellejo arguments....
Castillejo held his paper title for a good few years and racked up some decent defences during that peroid of time before he fought Oscar.

And, Castilllejo was not avoided by anyone during this title reign, despite the fact he was a champion and available to those names you have mentioned for Winky.

The same goes for Winky.
Reply With Quote
IronDanHamza is offline
#16
Old 06-13-2011, 01:18 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 26,024
Rep Power: 68 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 29,220,116,134,701.60
Bank: 2,107,507,727,474,368.25
Total Points: 2,136,727,843,609,069.75
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbaby View Post
I think Winky was 1 of the best jr middleweights ever.Before Martinez,there was Winky.
I think that has more to do with the fact that the Jr Middleweight division isn't even 40 years old and isn't a relitively strong division in general over it's short history.

Even with that being said, there are still a handful of fighters that are considered greater than Wright at the weight.
Reply With Quote
IronDanHamza is offline
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
winky, wright

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright © 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.