Boxing Forum
  Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Boxing Scene Lounge
Register Blogs Chat Arcade Groups Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 AM
BetterCallSaul
Shot!

Rep Power: 36 BetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 103,690,617,966.75
Total Points: 143,710,717,530.53
'Dr Boring' LMAO!!!! - Chunk Funny stuff. - The RealDeal No Message - murfbreak3r Poster of the month award! - The Surgeon Knows what is good for the sport. - deanrw 
Enjoy - rorymac Happy Easter, some e-choccie for you :D - Bossy 
Default Why is popularity more valuable than integrity in modern society?

For instance -

Cheryl Cole is popular because she is hot, a former pop idol winner, and was married to a famous footballer. However, these mediocre traits allowed her to become a judge of other peoples talent on X-Factor, which in turn made her the most famous woman in Britain. While she is semi-talented in regards to her singing voice, it's nothing you can't find in any decent karaoke bar across the country. Despite this, her average accomplishments have equated to enormous success, both financially and popularity wise.

Thus, it baffles me as to how young children can look up to this woman as a role model? To be fair, she isn't a bad role model (aside from the racial assaults) but why should young children aspire to be like her over a doctor, a mathematician, or even a music artist with a shred of soul and integrity?

While the old adage rings true 'don't hate the player hate the game' I can't help but feel that the excessive and almost pathetic worship of popularity over real, tangible achievement, has led to the degradation of society on an almost destructive level. People no longer see hard work as a route to success because celebrity can give an individual a ticket to the easy life, regardless of their personal characteristics or talent. Celebrities, the media, and society, all promote this notion, whether its through a young girl buying a magazine because Jordan is on the front, or an advertisement displaying the latest c-list fitness video. However, we continue to believe it, we continue to buy it, and while we know it's not good for us, we continue to worship it. Celebrity is the religion of the modern age.

It's an empty and hollow world we live in and when I have kids, I intend to protect them from it as best I can.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 AM
RwK
Predator Hunts My Love

Rep Power: 16912 RwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 247,267,262.91
Total Points: 6,878,711,076.56
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest thanks bro,good man. - BoZz Bribery for you to not kill me - led 
cheers friendo - Mike Tyson77 Super, man! :) - Bossy Bribing you with this, so if there is ever a riot and we are in the same place, you will let me hide behind you :D - Bossy Bribing you with this, so if there is ever a riot and we are in the same place, you will let me hide behind you :D - Bossy G - rorymac 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - codey 

It's a kid thing.

Case and point......young girls are attracted to looks. Older women are attracted to qualities. It's really as simple as that.

Kids are shallow, and they always will be.

Simple appearance of another person influences their mind.

Cole is hot as hell, and so every young person likes her.

Last edited by RwK; 05-31-2011 at 06:39 AM..
Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 AM
RwK
Predator Hunts My Love

Rep Power: 16912 RwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond reputeRwK has a reputation beyond repute
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest thanks bro,good man. - BoZz Bribery for you to not kill me - led 
cheers friendo - Mike Tyson77 Super, man! :) - Bossy Bribing you with this, so if there is ever a riot and we are in the same place, you will let me hide behind you :D - Bossy Bribing you with this, so if there is ever a riot and we are in the same place, you will let me hide behind you :D - Bossy G - rorymac 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Tha_Greatest Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - codey 

If you look at Cole's demographic in fan base,

I highly doubt older women are fans of Cheryl Cole. Most of them are probably under the age of 30. But of course old dudes are a fan of hers because they want to shag her.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 124 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 22,580,631,021,025.80
Total Points: 22,580,631,260,510.60
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest 
Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 
damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted "las mañanitas" on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 happy bday - -Mustang- 
Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth May you never stop spreading your knowledge. - BattlingNelson 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RwK View Post
It's a kid thing.

Case and point......young girls are attracted to looks. Older women are attracted to qualities. It's really as simple as that.

Kids are shallow, and they always will be.

Simple appearance of another person influences their mind.

Cole is hot as hell, and so every young person likes her.
Much deeper than that...

I think everyone is concerned with looks and status. You can even make an argument that the older people get, the more shallow they become, especially in a city like Miami where I live.

I think it's because people are selfish and self absorbed. Everyone is a star, everyone is special. That's what you are told a trillion times growing up in this country.

It's like Americans expect to be given success and forget what it's like to earn it.

Basically this younger generation is straight trash.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Rip Chudd
1 John 2:22

Rep Power: 31 Rip Chudd has a reputation beyond reputeRip Chudd has a reputation beyond reputeRip Chudd has a reputation beyond reputeRip Chudd has a reputation beyond reputeRip Chudd has a reputation beyond reputeRip Chudd has a reputation beyond reputeRip Chudd has a reputation beyond reputeRip Chudd has a reputation beyond reputeRip Chudd has a reputation beyond reputeRip Chudd has a reputation beyond reputeRip Chudd has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,134,057,537,019,167,232.00
Total Points: 1,134,057,537,019,271,296.00
Happy Holidays Chip! - Lorily Yeah that's right - Rip Chudd Lollllllllllllllll drink it down with some pepsi - -Kev- e-billionaire - MANIAC310 for being richer than me for a couple hours - MANIAC310 
Cheers! - iBreakbeat Just have a beer bro - led Cookie! - MANIAC310 one of my favorite Christians in the lounge :D - MANIAC310 Splendid use of your Javelin out there!!! - Jedi Vader 
twenty! - MANIAC310 Thnx again homie.. - the mesiah Thanks for the points - blacraven have a Happy and safe New Years bro! - jose830 thanks bro! :beerchug: - jose830 
thanks for donating to the Superbowl Jackpot points will be returned if nobody wins :beerchug: - jose830 :luvbed: - jose830 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Black Ranger Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Robin Hood World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sir TomJones World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sir TomJones 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbatron View Post
For instance -

Cheryl Cole is popular because she is hot, a former pop idol winner, and was married to a famous footballer. However, these mediocre traits allowed her to become a judge of other peoples talent on X-Factor, which in turn made her the most famous woman in Britain. While she is semi-talented in regards to her singing voice, it's nothing you can't find in any decent karaoke bar across the country. Despite this, her average accomplishments have equated to enormous success, both financially and popularity wise.

Thus, it baffles me as to how young children can look up to this woman as a role model? To be fair, she isn't a bad role model (aside from the racial assaults) but why should young children aspire to be like her over a doctor, a mathematician, or even a music artist with a shred of soul and integrity?

While the old adage rings true 'don't hate the player hate the game' I can't help but feel that the excessive and almost pathetic worship of popularity over real, tangible achievement, has led to the degradation of society on an almost destructive level. People no longer see hard work as a route to success because celebrity can give an individual a ticket to the easy life, regardless of their personal characteristics or talent. Celebrities, the media, and society, all promote this notion, whether its through a young girl buying a magazine because Jordan is on the front, or an advertisement displaying the latest c-list fitness video. However, we continue to believe it, we continue to buy it, and while we know it's not good for us, we continue to worship it. Celebrity is the religion of the modern age.

It's an empty and hollow world we live in and when I have kids, I intend to protect them from it as best I can.

Man, isn't that the truth. Green K.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:41 AM
GOAT86
Banned

Rep Power: 0 GOAT86 has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT86 has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT86 has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT86 has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT86 has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT86 has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT86 has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT86 has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT86 has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT86 has a reputation beyond reputeGOAT86 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,846,466,619.99
Total Points: 1,896,887,328.00
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier gloss for the whore - D.I.E.S.E.L Disguise yourself some more - EngorgedW/Blood enjoy! - led .|. - D.I.E.S.E.L 
____________ - D.I.E.S.E.L $%^&* *&^% - D.I.E.S.E.L $%^&*# - D.I.E.S.E.L @#$%^& - D.I.E.S.E.L b4 it rains - cannonball_X 
Thanks for the inspiration. :) - Boss Lady 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - led Gay and Lesbian Pride - EngorgedW/Blood Gay and Lesbian Pride - D.I.E.S.E.L 

Teh answer to all your questions TS.....

Old 05-31-2011, 11:54 AM
fordhamboxing
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 5 fordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond reputefordhamboxing has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 40,762,210,004.58
Total Points: 40,763,129,206.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
It's like Americans expect to be given success and forget what it's like to earn it.

That's hitting the nail on the head. My parents raised me to always be a proud, reliable, independent person with integrity. I'm honest and tell it like it is even if people don't like that.

BUT

In the end, integrity will win out as it always does. As people become more awed by popularity a time will come when real situations will arise. Those with integrity and the skills to win those battles will rise as usual to do what needs to be done. Popularity is fleeting, integrity stays with you as long as you choose to exercise it.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:07 PM
RwK
Predator Hunts My Love

Without a doubt, the younger generation in the States are completely ridiculous. They're uneducated, materialistic, self centered dope heads.

I'm sorry but that's just a fact. Sure there are decent kids, but I've seen enough to know that today's youth will definitely fail this country.

I'm not exactly one to talk, but I call it like I see it.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Chino Madonna
Disrespectful Savage

Rep Power: 25 Chino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 884,216,689,354.99
Total Points: 916,524,065,364.12
Have a virtual beer on me. - S a m u r a i Hopefully this will help now that you have given up streams - danc1984 i felt bad for you cos i have more gifts than you. what can i say? im more likable :) heres a banana - vanilamilkshake for being a hating lil faag - Sir TomJones for destroying larry, that was entertaining - Alx. 
there there kid, there there - Earl Hickey absolute destruction of the forums biggest shit poster larryx - I'm so sorry underrated poster - -MAKAVELLI- Top bloke - Aztec Wanker for slapping around the fanboys - I'm so sorry 
top poster - -MAKAVELLI- No Message - jose830 14084702 never forget - RlCKY 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 

We live in a very dumbed down culture. Art forms like music and movies have become so diluted that they're little more than money making exercises.

I read a quote from an American female writer, who said that women today are drowning in the triviality of celebrity. And....it's true. Not saying that men don't contribute to this deification of celebrities but c'mon, how many women do you know who are not obsessed with celebrities? I find it mind-blogging how people retain any sort of interest in the life of Jordan and Kim Kardashian.

I truly believe that people aren't as intelligent anymore. I don't mean academically - I mean socially. How they interact with other people, how they connect, the range of topics they can talk about. There are very few people I have met in my life who have blown me away. More and more, I find myself despairing at the blandness and banality of people. There doesn't seem to be much going on behind the surface level.

We live in a corporate, dumbed down society, which implores us to buy buy buy, and work hard every day in our mind-numbing jobs so we can keep buying buying buying.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 PM
squealpiggy
Stritctly UG's friend

Rep Power: 212 squealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond reputesquealpiggy has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.94
Total Points: 2,140,326,016,691.32
Good poster and a good guy, from Gmitchell - GMitchell f.aggot - Mizzou Super Piggy. - ABOSWORTH Good shit - mangler jr use it when you are too old to get a man - Carnivore 
The Demon-Haunted World - TheJoker take a break!!, lest you break! - Geze squealpiggy is in love with a f@ggot, lol, nyahahaha squealpiggy told me this, lol, nyahahahaha - Tha_Greatest you obliverated zizou homie, good win in your thunderdome resume, lol, nyahahahahaha - Tha_Greatest Eve says have a bite, its delicious.......... - bearman3000 
ATG Poster - Rich Loc Jr. Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab zombies are not the threat, it's people, well done - Mike Tyson77 Happy holidays bro! - led* 
sometimes I agree with you sometimes I don't but nevertheless I enjoy reading all your post! :fing02: - jose830 Very informative. - Barnburner you're a queer - Weltschmerz One of the worst posters - Weltschmerz Funny poster, deserves a medal - jas 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - ЯiZО Autism - Nemisis Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Mangler Jewnior Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom Fighter 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - ƒallenloki Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - ƒallenloki World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
Much deeper than that...

I think everyone is concerned with looks and status. You can even make an argument that the older people get, the more shallow they become, especially in a city like Miami where I live.

I think it's because people are selfish and self absorbed. Everyone is a star, everyone is special. That's what you are told a trillion times growing up in this country.

The last generation said that about our generation and the generation before said the same thing about theirs... Maybe it isn't a generational thing, maybe it's just the fact that kids are little shits.