Imagine a prime (99-00) Tua against a prime (69-73) Joe Frazier, who would win? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 AM
KO'er
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Rep Power: 8 KO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 7,362,919,132,194.93
to a good poster - jas 
Default Imagine a prime (99-00) Tua against a prime (69-73) Joe Frazier, who would win?

We all know it would be an out and out slugfest, and it would end very early, ala Frazier-Foreman and the 2 Liston-Cleveland Williams bouts. I think Tua would take the fight though.

Tua would have been around 230-235lbs in shape and that would be help him a bit, both have murderous left hooks but I can see Tua taking it in under 3 rounds. Both fighters would take big blows though. Frazier has the heart, but could his chin take Tua's power?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 AM
nomadman
Eurasian gonna get you

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 16 nomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,343,720,645.64
Total Points: 4,354,693,270.55
For many, many excellent posts on this forum - ChopperRead one of our best posters - Freedom. Happy New Year - Freedom. 

I posted my break down of this fight in another thread, Tua vs the Greats, and answered a few follow up posts clarifying my initial take.

Just to summarise, and taken purely as a head to head matchup, I slightly favour Tua to beat Joe, but by no means would I ever think this was an easy night for either man.

My reasoning basically boils down to style. Tua would have no problems finding Joe right in his face all night long, and a fighter that stands in front of a prime Tua is going to be taking a whole load of murderous punches. Can Frazier survive a Tua onslaught? Ike did it, but Ike was a physically larger man that Frazier and spent large swathes of their fight boxing on the outside (he also reputedly paid a terrible physical price afterwards). Frazier doesn't possess the physical or stylistic advantages Ike had (height, weight, long jab, ability to drop overhand rights down from on high), and whilst he poses other difficulties (constant head movement, unwavering pressure) against Tua he'd be fighting a physically more resilient, harder hitting man than himself who'd be more or less trying to do the same things he was doing. I see this fight being fought almost entirely in the pocket, and in a physical battle of attrition, I'd have to favour Tua.

There are quite a few reasons for me to pick Frazier as well, though.

First off, Tua tended to fight a lot in spurts. Even in his prime there were times when he'd just shut down and stand in front of guys doing nothing. Frazier on the other hand fought every minute of every round, and never failed to capitalise on chances. If he survives any early flurries by Tua his pressure might begin to get to Tua (in a psychological sense) allowing him to take the decision. Joe might also have some success going to the body, a la Quarry. Tua's chin was granite, and virtually undentable, but his body was another matter, as Byrd showed. If Frazier can repeatedly target Tua's body (assuming Tua is well conditioned and around the 225lb mark) then he'd have a good chance of seriously slowing him and possibly even stopping him in the later rounds.

Joe would be putting himself in the line of fire of Tua's left hook though, which wouldn't spell good news for him if it landed. There's also the question of whether he could force himself to go against his nature and try to smother Tua (which tended to limit a large degree of his offence). My guess is he'd stand in the firing line trying to take Tua out of there, and once again that spells danger for him.

Like I said, not an easy night for either man, and quite an intriguing style matchup that isn't anywhere near as cut and dry as it looks on paper.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:36 AM
RubenSonny
Lagos State of Mind

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rep Power: 17 RubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 291,080,388,293,518.75
Total Points: 291,080,389,525,842.62
Well deserved! Great Poster! - Barnburner 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Frazier beats Tuas ass on the inside.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Wild Blue Yonda
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 Wild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond reputeWild Blue Yonda has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,146,846.59
Knowledgeable Poster.! - Barnburner keep up the good work - IronMike* 

Frazier makes Tua quit. Its not close, or pretty.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:38 AM
RubenSonny
Lagos State of Mind

Rep Power: 17 RubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond repute
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Also Frazier and Tua fought nothing alike.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:29 AM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Rep Power: 91 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,329,009,607,609,296,896.00
Total Points: 3,330,038,827,725,621,760.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 ATG Boxingscene Poster - JohnnyRebel 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Different class of fighter.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
DarkTerror88
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 9 DarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 135,654,394.80
Good Poster! You need a medal. - "Marvelous" thanks - Toney616 ;) - rorymac In Remembrance..... Smokin' Joe - McGoorty Merry Christmas - The Surgeon 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - "Marvelous" Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - "Marvelous" 

UD or Late TKO for FoTC Frazier. But I think Tua is too durable to get TkOd so I'm going with a decision. I like Tua, but if Frazier can make the fast and accurate Ali miss and counter to the body. He can do it to Tua.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:04 AM
nomadman
Eurasian gonna get you

Rep Power: 16 nomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond reputenomadman has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,343,720,645.64
Total Points: 4,354,693,270.55
For many, many excellent posts on this forum - ChopperRead one of our best posters - Freedom. Happy New Year - Freedom. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenSonny View Post
Also Frazier and Tua fought nothing alike.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:54 AM
RubenSonny
Lagos State of Mind

Frazier - the greatest HW in-fighter, and a video of Tuas poor attempt at fighting on the inside. Right.

Don't try to patronize me you Lennox Lewis nuthugger.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:26 PM
The Surgeon
Days Of Glory

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Rep Power: 57 The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,182,011,866,605.99
Total Points: 203,294,996,744,627.62
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

Joe Frazier for me, he was just a far better fighter, i see him out working and out hustling Tua to a UD or possibly a late stoppage because while Tua has a great chin he is only human thus can and has been hit, hurt and dropped, and as we know Smoking Joe Frazier could really whack.

Joe was Super Tough, freakishly so. So Tua would have to catch him flush with one of his Left Hook Bombs to get to him but i do give David a shot at that and feel if he did then he could Knock Frazier out. But id make bet on Joe and id expect to be winning some cash!

Share This With Friends

Tags
(69-73), (99-00), frazier, imagine, prime, win?

User Tag List