Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Reply
Thread Navigation

#21
Old 05-27-2011, 12:06 PM
studentofthegam
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,162
Rep Power: 0 studentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 314,914.67
Bank: 0.59
Total Points: 314,915.26
Thanks - Toney616 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post
^^^^^ :rofl9::rofl9::rofl9::rofl9:
Real adult man. One of a kind you are.
Reply With Quote
studentofthegam is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#22
Old 05-27-2011, 12:19 PM
TheHolyCross
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 12,156
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 35 TheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond reputeTheHolyCross has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 101,231,168,587.82
Bank: 2,739,457,990.75
Total Points: 103,970,626,578.57
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier For solid posting - The Surgeon 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - McGoorty 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post
Mayweather was much more active at the lower weights than his is at Welter. Even so, I think he starts to run after the Arguello right clocks him. Think Rosario Vs Camacho. Put in judges from the 1970s who actually penalize you for those kind of tactics and I think Floyd runs and potshots his way to a decision loss. Arguello may find Floyd difficult to land on but given that I think Floyd's workrate is going to go in the tank after he gets hit it's not going to matter.

Poet
when has he ever started to run after getting clocked?
if he's gonna run it's gonna be part of his gameplan
and start from round one

from what i've seen, catching him usually gets him to move foward
Reply With Quote
TheHolyCross is offline
#23
Old 05-27-2011, 12:23 PM
studentofthegam
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,162
Rep Power: 0 studentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 314,914.67
Bank: 0.59
Total Points: 314,915.26
Thanks - Toney616 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah! View Post
when has he ever started to run after getting clocked?
if he's gonna run it's gonna be part of his gameplan
and start from round one

from what i've seen, catching him usually gets him to move foward
Its a myth. Sometimes people say he's never been hit? They can never show me all these fights where he turned tail and ran. It just sounds right because he doesnt get hit much which I thought was half of the objective. But its different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote
studentofthegam is offline
#24
Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Steak
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 10,816
Rep Power: 34 Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 105,393,641.20
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 771,759,956.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 
Default

I cant imagine Mayweather beating Hearns in any scenario. Hearns was nearly impossible to outbox, as shown in his performances againt Benitez, Hill and Leonard, and was a death trap against most stalking fighters, as shown in his fights against Cuevas and Duran.

to walk down Hearns you had to be exceptionally durable and one of the toughest ****ers around. Barkley and Hagler were able to do it, but people forget Barkley was getting murdered to the body and was badly cut within 2 rounds, and that Hearns broke his right hand on Haglers head, rocking and cutting him.

and Barkley was huge for a middleweight. the guy went on to have success at LHW and even close his career at HW with some stoppage wins, despite being pretty much shot and out of shape.
Reply With Quote
Steak is offline
#25
Old 05-27-2011, 12:31 PM
studentofthegam
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,162
Rep Power: 0 studentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 314,914.67
Bank: 0.59
Total Points: 314,915.26
Thanks - Toney616 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak View Post
I cant imagine Mayweather beating Hearns in any scenario. Hearns was nearly impossible to outbox, as shown in his performances againt Benitez, Hill and Leonard, and was a death trap against most stalking fighters, as shown in his fights against Cuevas and Duran.

to walk down Hearns you had to be exceptionally durable and one of the toughest ****ers around. Barkley and Hagler were able to do it, but people forget Barkley was getting murdered to the body and was badly cut within 2 rounds, and that Hearns broke his right hand on Haglers head, rocking and cutting him.

and Barkley was huge for a middleweight. the guy went on to have success at LHW and even close his career at HW with some stoppage wins, despite being pretty much shot and out of shape.
So Mayweather isnt tough enough? I guess thats where we differ. He may be spoiled but when he gets hit he wants it back. I could definitely see Hearns rocking him a little early but Floyd in deep water with healthy hands is not what most fighters care to deal with.
Reply With Quote
studentofthegam is offline
#26
Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Steak
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 10,816
Rep Power: 34 Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 105,393,641.20
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 771,759,956.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentofthegam View Post
So Mayweather isnt tough enough? I guess thats where we differ. He may be spoiled but when he gets hit he wants it back. I could definitely see Hearns rocking him a little early but Floyd in deep water with healthy hands is not what most fighters care to deal with.
Mayweather is tough, sure. but I dont think hes nearly as tough or durable as prime Iran Barkley or Marvin Hagler...and you certainly dont think Mayweather hits as hard as either of them, do you?

and even then, those two went through hell to beat Hearns. Not much longer and Barkley would have been gone, and that was the only time I can think of that Hagler was ever actually hurt by a punch.
Reply With Quote
Steak is offline
#27
Old 05-27-2011, 12:42 PM
studentofthegam
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,162
Rep Power: 0 studentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 314,914.67
Bank: 0.59
Total Points: 314,915.26
Thanks - Toney616 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak View Post
Mayweather is tough, sure. but I dont think hes nearly as tough or durable as prime Iran Barkley or Marvin Hagler...and you certainly dont think Mayweather hits as hard as either of them, do you?

and even then, those two went through hell to beat Hearns. Not much longer and Barkley would have been gone, and that was the only time I can think of that Hagler was ever actually hurt by a punch.
No I dont think Floyd hit as hard as those guys. I just think his timing and accuracy would make up for that against Hearns. When I talk toughness I see this in FMJ. For all the tactics that have been used against him I cant remember one time when Floyd even had a short conversation with a ref about what a guy did to him. He just adjusts accordingly. Its a mental toughness that gets him over the hump against most guys.
Reply With Quote
studentofthegam is offline
#28
Old 05-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Steak
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 10,816
Rep Power: 34 Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 105,393,641.20
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 771,759,956.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentofthegam View Post
No I dont think Floyd hit as hard as those guys. I just think his timing and accuracy would make up for that against Hearns. When I talk toughness I see this in FMJ. For all the tactics that have been used against him I cant remember one time when Floyd even had a short conversation with a ref about what a guy did to him. He just adjusts accordingly. Its a mental toughness that gets him over the hump against most guys.
Barkley is one of the toughest fighters Ive ever seen, period. I think mentally Floyd is very strong, but definitely not on the level of Barkley.

and its not just about toughness, its about durability as well. guys like Hagler and Barkley could soak up damage like nothing and keep going. And take into account they were taking this damage from natural Middleweights, a weight that Mayweather has never fought at. And Hearns still ****ed them up badly before getting caught by a few hard punches(with the kind of power that Mayweather flat out doesnt have).
Reply With Quote
Steak is offline
#29
Old 05-27-2011, 12:54 PM
studentofthegam
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,162
Rep Power: 0 studentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond reputestudentofthegam has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 314,914.67
Bank: 0.59
Total Points: 314,915.26
Thanks - Toney616 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steak View Post
Barkley is one of the toughest fighters Ive ever seen, period. I think mentally Floyd is very strong, but definitely not on the level of Barkley.

and its not just about toughness, its about durability as well. guys like Hagler and Barkley could soak up damage like nothing and keep going. And take into account they were taking this damage from natural Middleweights, a weight that Mayweather has never fought at. And Hearns still ****ed them up badly before getting caught by a few hard punches(with the kind of power that Mayweather flat out doesnt have).
Well you can have that because Floyd dont take punishment. Thats not the way to go. Now keep it real Barkley just had a hard ass head. It wasnt mental toughness. It was strictly physical.
Reply With Quote
studentofthegam is offline
#30
Old 05-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Steak
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 10,816
Rep Power: 34 Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 105,393,641.20
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 771,759,956.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentofthegam View Post
Well you can have that because Floyd dont take punishment. Thats not the way to go. Now keep it real Barkley just had a hard ass head. It wasnt mental toughness. It was strictly physical.
Barkley ate devastating body shots from Hearns and kept coming forward to win, fought through nasty cuts to win, and would continue fighting through hailstorms of punishment even when he knew he was outgunned as shown in his fights with Toney and Nunn. I mean, this is a guy who was laughing in the 3rd or 4th round of his fight with Toney, and thats arguably Toney's most brutal display of his career. The guy was constantly in firefights, and did it for fun.

I have to admit, I never thought Id hear Barkley's toughness questioned. When have you ever had reason to doubt the guys tenacity?

and how exactly do you think that Floyd would not take punishment if hes trying to walk down Hearns...? His high guard style only goes so far, and if dont try to dig in with it(Floyd is always more methodical about it) then youre going to be outboxed and outfought like Benitez and Hill.
Reply With Quote
Steak is offline
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
love, me......., stir

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.