How do you spar against some who has hand speed - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 05-19-2011, 05:37 AM
red boy
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 8,582.82
Default How do you spar against some who has hand speed

I was sparring on Tuesday against a chap who had quite fast hands, he was unleashing a few shots then getting out of range before I had a chance to respond.

What is the best way to fight against someone who has speed? I was throwing my jab but i wasnt getting any luck with that as he was throwing back faster then i was getting my arm back!
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Chip2006uk
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 9 Chip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 410,829,310,699.99
Total Points: 410,829,357,513.24

Time them coming in... I consider myself to have good handspeed and when I first started sparring I used to rush in hastily thinking Id just outspeed my opponent but when I came across someone with good timing I would get countered coming in constantly.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 PM
DeadlyOverhand
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 6 DeadlyOverhand is a jewel in the roughDeadlyOverhand is a jewel in the roughDeadlyOverhand is a jewel in the roughDeadlyOverhand is a jewel in the rough
Total Points: 1,019,394.65

When I'm in that situation I take the first minute just feeling the guy out I'll get hit, but after I figure him out I just spend the whole sparring session countering the whole time. Let him come in thorw his punches slip a couple then counter, then get out jab, jab while he resets
Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 AM
red boy
Amateur

Total Points: 8,582.82

Yeah last night was much better performance from me. I was more on the ball with it and slipped a few punches.

I think the first night took me by surprise.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 AM
rockymarciano1
Lion of Zion

Rep Power: 8 rockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond reputerockymarciano1 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 9.36
Total Points: 189,466.10

cut the ring off. don't just follow him in a straight line. look to get inside and hit to the body to sap his energy, it'll slow him down. keep your hands up and keep bobing and weaving on the inside. keep your head and feet moving. also don't sit on your hand and get afraid to punch, if you let on that your afraid to punch back he'll get confidence and come in with combos.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 PM
mrcupide2
Interim Champion

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 9 mrcupide2 has a brilliant futuremrcupide2 has a brilliant futuremrcupide2 has a brilliant futuremrcupide2 has a brilliant futuremrcupide2 has a brilliant futuremrcupide2 has a brilliant futuremrcupide2 has a brilliant futuremrcupide2 has a brilliant futuremrcupide2 has a brilliant futuremrcupide2 has a brilliant futuremrcupide2 has a brilliant future
Total Points: 119,913.25
Good boxing - rorymac 

To stop someone with speed, you go to the body.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:48 PM
jtiger777
Banned

Rep Power: 0 jtiger777 has a reputation beyond reputejtiger777 has a reputation beyond reputejtiger777 has a reputation beyond reputejtiger777 has a reputation beyond reputejtiger777 has a reputation beyond reputejtiger777 has a reputation beyond reputejtiger777 has a reputation beyond reputejtiger777 has a reputation beyond reputejtiger777 has a reputation beyond reputejtiger777 has a reputation beyond reputejtiger777 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 144,093,075.92
Total Points: 175,993,055.91
Thanks mate here have a beer! - Tamis_Siensya Happy Holidays J! - Lorily Big up Nigel Benn - zab191 

Watch floyd mayweather vs zab judah rounds 4-10 the body shots are what did it
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 PM
..David..
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 ..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute..David.. has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,999,447,942.63

U want the truth ? THE SAME WAY YOU SPARR ANYONE ELSE.

Dont let one factor mess u up on ur head. Let your hands go move your head, try to stay either very close to him or Far from him. If u stay in punching range with someone way faster than u u are looking to get spanked.

Still its just sparring if his flurrys are confusin u then pot shot him. Go on the outside thor a right hand and tie him up. Make it an ugly fight.

Remember guys if u let one factor like that mess up ur head and u go into the ring overthinking "oh **** this cat its fast i should do this and that and this and that..." u are gonna get slaped.

Relax and let your hands go. He is just human
Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 AM
Nick Name
Contender

Rep Power: 7 Nick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond reputeNick Name has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 36,287.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by red boy View Post
I was sparring on Tuesday against a chap who had quite fast hands, he was unleashing a few shots then getting out of range before I had a chance to respond.

What is the best way to fight against someone who has speed? I was throwing my jab but i wasnt getting any luck with that as he was throwing back faster then i was getting my arm back!
My suggestion is: close your guard and let him do his combinations, then when he becomes confident enough and thinks he can handle you, cut him off with your left hook. You have to chase him and cut his way with wide heavy hooks.
But remember to keep your chin inside your shoulder and your other hand well up to your temple while you throw the hooks, or he will counter you.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 AM
Shabba Rank$
~Swift~

Rep Power: 52 Shabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,455,545,436,880.06
Total Points: 1,455,545,479,942.74
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest GUCCI GO BURRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! - Natedatpkid ThaBasedGod! - Dorian.. good poster and also for supporting floyd and b-hop - BoZz 
Cool headed poster - jazluvr Greenageee! - dancovboxer Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil thanks for quik payup! gratzie! - `STEELHEAD thanks for the help! - SpeedKillz 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Body work, cut off the ring.

Share This With Friends

Tags
hand, spar, speed

User Tag List