Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,476,665.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastrano View Post
Not even close! All Fitzsimmons did was beat Corbett, he was destroyed already in the first defense by Jeffries. I rate both Cerdan and Benvenuti above him.
Sorry buddy but that was far too simplistic.. Fitz was also a MW and LHW champion, his victories over MW's rank very high indeed, I dont know if he was as skilled as Cerdan was but certainly tougher and a massive legacy. As for Benvenuti I cant put Nino that high, one thing I MUST point out though guys, please count the total amount of Fitzsimmons fights on European soil and you get to the actual truth of the matter.. Fitz lived in New Zealand, was good with his fists so decides to go to one of the best boxing cities in the world that time... Sydney, New South Wales where he learned the Mace school style from Larry Foley ( who was never defeated inside a boxing ring in a 4 decade long career)...... there Bob had lots of tough fights until he was considered among the two best fighters in Australia (Peter Jackson was the other)...................... .................................................. Then Bob decided to try his luck in America the rest is history.... as far as I know Bob had never had a single fight on European soil... Bob Fitzsimmons was an Antipodean from the Antipodes (the best part of planet earth).
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,050,476,665.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenSonny View Post
Your actually taking it too far now...He has one of the most insane resumes of all-time, also one of the hardest hitting punchers of all-time.

Amongst other things, heres afew things he did:

Smashing Philly Jack a the age of 41.

Smashing HW contenders while weighing in as MW or a very smal LHW.

Smashing Dempsey (nonpareil) for the MW title, Corbett for the HW title, and outpointing Gardner for LHW title.
Basically you got it, and I can say that some of his Aussie opponents were good fighters, better than whats around now, I think Geale is good but Bob would have hammered him and so may quite a few others, the standard dowunder in the old days was high and going to America was very expensive and dangerous massively long journey so most never made the trip.... in the end it was an Australian who finished Bob as a fighter with a horrible horrible beating when he was way too old by Bill Lang............. Cerdan is one of the great IF's of boxing history as his life was cut short.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Welsh Jon
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 5 Welsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,560,555,752,488.79

It seems a lot of people question whether Bob Fitzsimmons is European but few ask the same questions of Marcel Cerdan. Cerdan was Algerian. He spent his early career fighting in North Africa. Cerdan should surely be considered one of the greats of African boxing not European.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Isaac Hunt
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 4 Isaac Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeIsaac Hunt has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,040,868.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Jon View Post
It seems a lot of people question whether Bob Fitzsimmons is European but few ask the same questions of Marcel Cerdan. Cerdan was Algerian. He spent his early career fighting in North Africa. Cerdan should surely be considered one of the greats of African boxing not European.
Good point. Did Cerdan have French parents? I know he was born in Algeria but were his parents Algerian?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 AM
D.Y. Lawrence
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 3 D.Y. Lawrence will become famous soon enoughD.Y. Lawrence will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 5,402.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Hunt View Post
Good point. Did Cerdan have French parents? I know he was born in Algeria but were his parents Algerian?
Cerdan's dad was from Rousillon, which is a region located in the South-East of France that also comprises lands in present North-East of Spain, Catalonia. His mum is also French of Spanish extraction.

See Nicola's Cerdan site (Marcel's grandson): marcelcerdanheritage.com/5.aspx

Cerdan was born in Algeria but his family actually moved to Casablanca, Morocco, when he was only six--hence his nickname the "The Moroccan Bomber". Both Algeria and Morocco were French colonies back then, and Marcel Cerdan was a pied-noir.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 AM
D-MiZe
Iron lungs

Rep Power: 105 D-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 180,493,170,322,017.53
Total Points: 181,396,571,876,528.47
'cause it's going to piss pour! - *Boss Lady* for when I am around. ;) - *Boss Lady* Best chat up line in a gift and or message on Boxingscene. - *Boss Lady* Because you are just so charming. &lt;3333 - *Boss Lady* You haven't been around ... batteries are now dead. - *Boss Lady* 
I read your manual, changed the batteries and made a mess. Ooops :) - *Boss Lady* Merry Christmas - Flab Happy new year! - Toney Loc :kiss: - *Boss Lady* Happy Easter babe :kiss: - Bossy 
25k Posts! :kiss: - Bossy For finishing 3rd in Season 2 of The Predictorship Challenge - D4thincarnation Keeping the &quot;Predictorship Challenge&quot; alive. - D4thincarnation The Predictorship Challenge Champion Season 3 - D4thincarnation Happy holidays bro! - led* 
have a safe and Happy New Years bro! :fing02: - jose830 don't get to comfortable with this around your neck, it's going to be taken. - TartanSoldier cause you have janes toney as an avy and cause i cant finish this 6 pack - AyoMaDu Some great posts - jas genius predictions! - jas 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - ЯiZО AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - GetSumBrah Hepatitis C - _PlaT_NuM_ Autism - The Scientist Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - ??? 
Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - siablo14 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr449 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - 'Sugar' Freddi Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - iBreakbeat Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - iBreakbeat 
Send a message via MSN to D-MiZe

Great, underrated fighter.

But nowhere near the best to come out of Europe.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 71 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,672,542,570,450,128.00
Total Points: 15,701,762,686,614,380.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MiZe View Post
Great, underrated fighter.

But nowhere near the best to come out of Europe.
No where near?

How many would you rank ahead of him?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Welsh Jon
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 5 Welsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,560,555,752,488.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Y. Lawrence View Post
Cerdan's dad was from Rousillon, which is a region located in the South-East of France that also comprises lands in present North-East of Spain, Catalonia. His mum is also French of Spanish extraction.

See Nicola's Cerdan site (Marcel's grandson): marcelcerdanheritage.com/5.aspx

Cerdan was born in Algeria but his family actually moved to Casablanca, Morocco, when he was only six--hence his nickname the "The Moroccan Bomber". Both Algeria and Morocco were French colonies back then, and Marcel Cerdan was a pied-noir.
Algeria and Morocco were certainly French colonies, but they were not in Europe. I am not comfortable with a man who was North African born and raised being described as one of the great European boxers.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Chalama123
Amateur

Total Points: 174.79

How would you rank these guys in the list below based on overall boxing legacy?