Is Anderson Silva towards the end of his prime? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Mixed Martial Arts Discussion
View Poll Results: Is Anderson almost past his prime?
Yeah he's coming up towards the twilight of his prime 11 57.89%
Nah he still got mad good fights left it him **** OUTTA HERE! 4 21.05%
He's already passed it YOU BLIND FOOL? 1 5.26%
You just mad cuz Obama stylin' on u and killed Osama 0 0%
Let's all eat ravioli's out of Lindsey Lohan's butthole 2 10.53%
Does Lohan have to poop when im eating those ravioli's? Then Im in! 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 05-02-2011, 04:57 PM
$BloodyNate$
GUCCI

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Rep Power: 28 $BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 14,212,419,401,029,840.00
Total Points: 14,312,419,401,187,444.00
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
Happy Birthday :) - Bossy wut up nate!! - Mike D Happy thanksgiving. - HughJass Retard - Weltschmerz this idiot deserves a kick - Freedom. 
Hepatitis C - Spray_resistant Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -jose- 
Default Is Anderson Silva towards the end of his prime?

I feel like he is. The man's 36 years old. He gets hit more often then he used too. Belfort wasn't doing to bad until the front kick. The man's 36, so when is it gonna end? I'm afraid of the Roy Jones Jr effect happening because their similar strikers who rely on speed, timing, accuracy and reflex. Once that gone it's over.

I don't believe he had a rib injury against Sonnen. He's never had great takedown defense and I feel like he just got dropped because he was so worried about the takedowns he didn't expect it. It'll be a sad day when he's done and over with. Arguably the greatest P4P fighter to ever live along with Fedor...
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-02-2011, 05:14 PM
fathergll
Contender

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10 fathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 40,847.14

Logically he probably is towards the end of his prime. The question is what fight will it actual take place. As far as Belfort not doing bad, well Belfort is probably the best guy he has faced in years(obviously him and Sonnen). Tough to really say if he lost a step in that fight. Im still up in the air about the Sonnen fight. A rematch would tell me a lot more. Either way he's still a top tier guy and I don't know if hes going to slowly fade or hit a wall like CroCop.

I can confidently say he was in his prime up until the Maia fight(April 2010). Just watching that first round against Maia you can tell he had every bit of speed that he was capable of. Obviously he ended up goofing off and the fight was a disaster.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:37 PM
BKM-2010
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21 BKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBKM-2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,156,278,884.57
enjoyed the gif :fing02: - jose830 My bad! - Dorian have a slice, u earned it - sugarsmosley . - RwK No Message - -jose- 
For Battling The Evil That Is Islam - Rocky... No Message - -Weltschmerz- 

I've been wondering that for the past 3 years, but every time he actually gets better in a way. So unless it happens overnight, he is gonna stay at this peak for a few more years.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:49 PM
blaze778
Lizard King

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 22 blaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,409,939,201.59
Total Points: 5,410,006,438.75
Your first gift homey - Natedatpkid rock - TredKiller for the munchies. - Big Smoke two blunts=two subways homie! - Big Smoke Here you go homie. - Big Smoke 
for being a cool poster! - led No Message - Russian Crushin Get wasted - Russian Crushin Gotta eat the pie-ALWAYS!! - Russian Crushin get wasted lol - led 
A gift for ya.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Thanks - jazluvr Fattin up your gifts Playa - The Gully Gad you seem rational again. get wasted! - led Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Cheers bro! - led cheers bra, cheers - TredKiller BURRRRRRRR! - Natedatpkid cheers! - sweetpea87 Thank you that was very generous of you :) - dancovboxer 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian.. Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Hard Dick 

It's really hard to say.

He is 36 and has a lot of fights under his belt, but Silva really hasn't seemed to slow down much and hasn't had any performance to tell me otherwise.

The Sonnen fight comes to mind, but there are too many factors coming into that fight such as the rib injury, Sonnen on roids, and Silva looks more human against tough wrestlers like Sonnen to begin with.

That's a rematch I really want to see, a lot more than an Okami fight and even GSP at the moment.

Other than his age on paper, nothing else really points to Silva being past his best days.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM
ZombieProphet
Banned

Rep Power: 0 ZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 57,931.38
Thanks for all the vids you post in the MMA section homey! - led's baby mama 

whomever thinks anderson is in his "twilight of his prime" doesnt know what they're talking about. the difference between anderson and other 36 year old fighters is that he has not taken the punishment that others have. forget the fact that he gets better and better as his career progresses. i can see anderson fighting successfully for another 4-5 years depending if he stays at MW or moves up. if he moves up he will more than likely receive more punishment from bigger fighter than the 180 MW's. then his career could be shorten by maybe 2-3 years.

guys a beast no way around it. his gonna run over okami and i wouldnt be surprised if bispring wins his next fight we could very well see anderson vs bispring. that should give you an idea of the different level anderson is on compared to other fighters in his weight class. oh and GSP is just a pipe dream.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 PM
$BloodyNate$
GUCCI

Rep Power: 28 $BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute$BloodyNate$ has a reputation beyond repute
Happy Birthday :) - Bossy wut up nate!! - Mike D Happy thanksgiving. - HughJass Retard - Weltschmerz this idiot deserves a kick - Freedom. 
Hepatitis C - Spray_resistant Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieProphet View Post
whomever thinks anderson is in his "twilight of his prime" doesnt know what they're talking about. the difference between anderson and other 36 year old fighters is that he has not taken the punishment that others have. forget the fact that he gets better and better as his career progresses. i can see anderson fighting successfully for another 4-5 years depending if he stays at MW or moves up. if he moves up he will more than likely receive more punishment from bigger fighter than the 180 MW's. then his career could be shorten by maybe 2-3 years.

guys a beast no way around it. his gonna run over okami and i wouldnt be surprised if bispring wins his next fight we could very well see anderson vs bispring. that should give you an idea of the different level anderson is on compared to other fighters in his weight class. oh and GSP is just a pipe dream.
Dude, Anderson relies too much on speed and reflex like Roy Jones and Roy didn't take a lot of punishment either. Once that speed's gone he's done. He relies too much on reflex to defend punches. I think he can remain champ for another 2 years at the most, but 3 years is pushing it nevertheless 4-5 years which will put him in his 40's.

And if you think he won't have any difficulty with Okami then you obviously don't know what your talking about because OKami could easily take him down and hold him there like Sonnen and not get submitted because he's never been submitted in MMA. I really hope not though.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 PM
ZombieProphet
Banned

Rep Power: 0 ZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond reputeZombieProphet has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 57,931.38
Thanks for all the vids you post in the MMA section homey! - led's baby mama 

4-5 years would put him at 40-41 years old.

roy jones jr had already been through 50 fights before losing to tarver. where silva has only fought in 32 fights and iirc only he's only gone the distance 4 or 5 times. he's got ALOT of fight in him and tbh the only thing i can see beating is him is him losing the desire to fight from crushing
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
all his opponents.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 PM
fathergll
Contender

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10 fathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond reputefathergll has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 40,847.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieProphet View Post
whomever thinks anderson is in his "twilight of his prime" doesnt know what they're talking about.
Anyone who thinks they know exactly how much time a 36 year old guy who started his pro fighting career 11 years ago has left clearly doesn't know what they are talking. Thats when you know people are full of ****, when they state facts with things that are impossible to predict. The general theme of the thread is he's still in his prime but probably coming towards the end of it.

Silva isn't young. He started his pro fighting career a week after Fedor. Theres a lot more to wear and tear that just damage from fights. Guys go through a lot in training and sparring. It adds up.

Most likely you won't even see it coming if he does go down hill. Its usually a monday morning quarterback thing when a guy losses you then go back and analyze where it started falling apart.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 PM
$BloodyNate$
GUCCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathergll View Post
Anyone who thinks they know exactly how much time a 36 year old guy who started his pro fighting career 11 years ago has left clearly doesn't know what they are talking. Thats when you know people are full of ****, when they state facts with things that are impossible to predict. The general theme of the thread is he's still in his prime but probably coming towards the end of it.

Silva isn't young. He started his pro fighting career a week after Fedor. Theres a lot more to wear and tear that just damage from fights. Guys go through a lot in training and sparring. It adds up.

Most likely you won't even see it coming if he does go down hill. Its usually a monday morning quarterback thing when a guy losses you then go back and analyze where it started falling apart.
I totally agree here. Lets not forget he comes from motha****in Chutebox. Those crazy motha****as went H.A.M in the gym!!! I think I heard some times they just threw you in the ring and ran a gauntlet which were full out fights. People got knocked out on the regular in that crazy ass gym haha
Image View Removed. For more information, please contact our forum admins by clicking here.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 PM
chiguy91
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 52 chiguy91 has a reputation beyond reputechiguy91 has a reputation beyond reputechiguy91 has a reputation beyond reputechiguy91 has a reputation beyond reputechiguy91 has a reputation beyond reputechiguy91 has a reputation beyond reputechiguy91 has a reputation beyond reputechiguy91 has a reputation beyond reputechiguy91 has a reputation beyond reputechiguy91 has a reputation beyond reputechiguy91 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 116,541,066,575,760.38
Total Points: 116,630,166,695,229.22
8k solid post - MANIAC310 just cuz - Sifo Dyas Drive by gifting, don't mind me :wave: - Bossy Chi city boss. - Very Rich Man Have some cake! - komodo 
No Message - Starof David have an ariza milk shake - Cleto_Reyes No Message - jose830 Here you go hermano, I owe you from last time. ;) - codey Here's your first beer for your official drinking age! Happy birthday brother! - sweetpea87 
so far the hottest sig I've seen since I joined...the 1911 makes that sig priceless!! - jose830 No Message - Enchanted happy 21st birthday (even though I am a bit late on this!) - sweetpea87 P4P one of if not the most imporant/productive member of boxingscene - Cupocity303 Happy holidays bro! - led* 
Happy Holidays  chiguy91.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Thanks for the links - Toney616 Thanks for the uploads - Toney616 Nice video of &quot;El Gallito&quot; Estrada bro. - RIZO24 No Message - sweetpea87 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - dough401 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - AL YANKAB*TCH Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ??? Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Round 1 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Round 1 Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Round 1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Alx. Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ??? Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - arraamis 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - arraamis Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - ??? World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - komodo Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Enchanted 

i think he is...but i don't think it will happen overnight...he'll probably start showing some signs of his age by 2012 imo...he is 36, but so is the guy in my avatar. time will tell, looking forward to seeing him whoop okami. so far he hasn't shown a real sign of his age, so let's enjoy it while it lasts

Last edited by chiguy91; 05-02-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Share This With Friends

Tags
anderson, prime?, silva

User Tag List