Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 AM
DUCK FACE
Banned

Rep Power: 0 DUCK FACE has a reputation beyond reputeDUCK FACE has a reputation beyond reputeDUCK FACE has a reputation beyond reputeDUCK FACE has a reputation beyond reputeDUCK FACE has a reputation beyond reputeDUCK FACE has a reputation beyond reputeDUCK FACE has a reputation beyond reputeDUCK FACE has a reputation beyond reputeDUCK FACE has a reputation beyond reputeDUCK FACE has a reputation beyond reputeDUCK FACE has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 124,450,044.77
Total Points: 125,618,669.37
Default How good was Johnny Nelson?

Recently Sky Sports have been showing some big moments in all sports and the other day it showed his win over David Haye's conquerer Carl Thompson. I like him on Ringside too and he looks like an absolute beast..

So i was trying to find some stuff out about him and checked over his record.. basically it wasn't very flattering lost first 3 fights, lots of Decision losses to the likes of Sanders. He did go on a run of 13 unbeaten after he won the cruiserweight title though.. was this careful matchmaking or had he improved a lot since his earlier days?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 67 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,025,670,633,866,175.00
Total Points: 2,054,890,749,999,687.25
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Solid fighter at very best.

Paper Titlest at Crusierweight, never considered a Top 3 Crusier if I remember correctly, and if he was he wasn't for a long spell.

Best fighter he beat is probably Carl Thompson, which speaks for itself really.

Although he did improve from his earlier fights compared to when he won his title and after that. Especially in terms of mental ability.

I think Johnny Nelson has the record for most title defenses at Crusierweight though Doesn't mean much though he very rarely fought top fighters at Crusier.

So yeah, solid, nothing more.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 159,202,003,041.20
Total Points: 160,202,248,964.06
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

He was good, and he was also boring, mostly known for the latter. Nelson learned on the job after a difficult start, found out he couldn't make it at heavyweight and decided to make the cruiserweight division his home. He did benefit from weak competition but even the best cruiserweights couldn't deal with his style. Carl Thompson was his best win, but the way he dominated Thompson from start to finish indicates that he could likely beat even better opponents. Ezra Sellers was also a big puncher whom Nelson beat.

Here's Nelson vs Thompson: