The greatness of Sugar Ray Robinson - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 04-04-2011, 04:09 AM
Steak
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 37 Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 772,141,006.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 
Default The greatness of Sugar Ray Robinson

So often we simply state that Robinson is the greatest fighter of all time as if its fact, without looking at why that is. Well, just for the hell of it, Im going to compile a list of his accomplishments(If I miss any, feel free to append it, he had a very long and exhausting career full of excellent opponents I might have missed).

Sammy Angottx3-Robinson beat this HOF fighter at Lightweight, and Angott would become Lightweight champ 5 months after losing to Robinson. Less than 2 years later he would go on to beat the first man to beat the ATG Willie Pep. Very overlooked win. Robinson would beat Angott twice more at Welterweight.

Fritzie Zivicx2-Robinson would beat the HOF fighter Zivic twice in a row, Zivic was the Welterweight champ only three months before fighting Robinson(gaining the title from Henry Armstrong, losing it to Freddy Cochrane).

Marty Servox2-Robinson would beat him twice, the first time when he was 42-0-2. Servo would beat Cochrane to become the Welterweight champ a few years later.

Tony Motisi-top ten at welterweight

Jake LaMotta-Robinson would beat this HOF Middleweight 5 times, many times weighing in as a natural Weltweight or less compared to the much heavier LaMotta. Their first fight happened 9 years before Robinson beat LaMotta to claim the Middleweight crown.

Ian Jannazzox4-top ten at WW

Jackie Wilson-top five at WW

Ralph Zanelli-top ten at WW

Henry Armstrong-HOF, arguably #2 best ever p4p, multi weight class champ.

Tommy Bell-#1 contender at WW, Robinson finally wins the vacant WW title by beating Bell

Jimmy Doyle-top ten at WW

Jackie Wilson-top ten at WW

Bernard Docusen-top five at WW

Kid Gavilanx2-HOF, future WW champ, top ten at WW

George Costner-#2 at WW

Robert Villemainx2-#3 at MW, had wins over LaMotta and Kid Gavilan

Charley Fusari-top ten at WW

Bobo Olsenx4-HOF Middleweight, would go on to become Middleweight champ about 3 years after the first Robinson losses, Robinson would beat him again by decision during his MW title run, Robinson would KO him again after his first retirement to regain the Middleweight title in 1955

Jake LaMotta-listed again because Robinson won the MW title by stopping him

Randy Turpin-Avenging his loss to Turpin by KO, Robinson wins back the MW title from this HOF MW, Turpin rated #1 at MW

Rocky Graziano-Robinson KOed this HOF Middleweight in 3, Graziano was rated in the top ten but not prime

Rocky Castellani-Robinson would come out of retirement in 1955 and beat the #2 rated MW by decision(retiring after ahead on points but dying from heat exhaustion against HOF LHW Joey Maxim)

Gene Fullmer-Robinson would go 1-2-1 against this HOF MW, KOing him in their second bout. Gene Fullmer was champ and would go on to become MW champ again

Carmen Basilio-Robinson would avenge his earlier loss to the HOF former WW champ and regain the title

exhausting list, and I probably havent even named all his good wins either. 18 wins over HOF fighters from lightweight to middleweight
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-04-2011, 11:47 AM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,067,376.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Nice post, I pretty much discount the Armstrong win though as Hank was "gone" by the time they fought.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:57 AM
RubenSonny
Lagos State of Mind

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rep Power: 17 RubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 291,080,388,293,518.75
Total Points: 291,080,389,525,872.62
Well deserved! Great Poster! - Barnburner 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

I agree with GJC about Hank and I don't hold the Graziano win in a very high regard but excellent summary of wins, I'm sure I will refer to this in the future when discussing Robinson and my mind goes blank.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenSonny View Post
I agree with GJC about Hank and I don't hold the Graziano win in a very high regard but excellent summary of wins, I'm sure I will refer to this in the future when discussing Robinson and my mind goes blank.
Mind I could see the Graziano fight going exactly the same way when he was prime, punchers effort and shaking SRR before getting caught himself
Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 PM
RubenSonny
Lagos State of Mind

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rep Power: 17 RubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond reputeRubenSonny has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 291,080,388,293,518.75
Total Points: 291,080,389,525,872.62
Well deserved! Great Poster! - Barnburner 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC View Post
Mind I could see the Graziano fight going exactly the same way when he was prime, punchers effort and shaking SRR before getting caught himself
Yeah I agree lol, but the fact that Graziano didn't really fight anyone between the last Zale fight and Robinson fight, he hadn't really proved he was up to the task if you ask me. I also feel that Graziano was always a bit overrated on the whole, and I think thats rooted in the fights with Zale, Robinson saying he was the hardest puncher he faced and knocking him down (wasn't a major knockdown) he was good with a tremendous punch but I think hes generally given too much credit, JMO.

Last edited by RubenSonny; 04-04-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:23 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Rep Power: 91 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,329,009,607,609,296,896.00
Total Points: 3,330,038,827,725,621,760.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 ATG Boxingscene Poster - JohnnyRebel 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

I utterly agree with the Armstrong and Graziano comments.

Both at the tail end of thier long careers and really not great wins for Robinson.

But overall great breakdown, BI.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:03 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenSonny View Post
Yeah I agree lol, but the fact that Graziano didn't really fight anyone between the last Zale fight and Robinson fight, he hadn't really proved he was up to the task if you ask me. I also feel that Graziano was always a bit overrated on the whole, and I think thats rooted in the fights with Zale, Robinson saying he was the hardest puncher he faced and knocking him down (wasn't a major knockdown) he was good with a tremendous punch but I think hes generally given too much credit, JMO.
Graziano was always going to sell tickets so I guess that coupled with an unbeaten run was enough to guarantee the fight. Also until Fullmer and Basilio came along there wasn't too much to challenge SRR. Might be on my own here but Nigel Benn always reminded me A bit of Graziano
Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Shabba Rank$
~Swift~

Rep Power: 52 Shabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond reputeShabba Rank$ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,455,545,436,880.06
Total Points: 1,455,545,479,880.74
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest GUCCI GO BURRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! - Natedatpkid ThaBasedGod! - Dorian.. good poster and also for supporting floyd and b-hop - BoZz 
Cool headed poster - jazluvr Greenageee! - dancovboxer Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil thanks for quik payup! gratzie! - `STEELHEAD thanks for the help! - SpeedKillz 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Excellent breakdown BI.

green k sent.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Marchegiano
Interim Champion

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Rep Power: 8 Marchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond reputeMarchegiano has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 21,026,271.21
Rocky Marciano ATG fighter - Freedom. Thanks for thanking me! - Terry A 

Green K for you. One of my favorite posts. I don't have anything to add just voicing appreciation.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Forza
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Forza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 30,703,615.67
one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Viva Il Duce - Rocky... Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

Probably one of the best resumes in boxing history. You know you're great when you beat multiple greats.

Share This With Friends

Tags
greatness, robinson, sugar

User Tag List