Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 03-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Chino Madonna
Disrespectful Savage

Rep Power: 25 Chino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,262,879,168,615.59
Total Points: 1,295,186,550,338.31
Have a virtual beer on me. - S a m u r a i Hopefully this will help now that you have given up streams - danc1984 i felt bad for you cos i have more gifts than you. what can i say? im more likable :) heres a banana - vanilamilkshake for being a hating lil faag - Sir TomJones for destroying larry, that was entertaining - Alx. 
there there kid, there there - Earl Hickey absolute destruction of the forums biggest shit poster larryx - I'm so sorry underrated poster - -MAKAVELLI- Top bloke - Aztec Wanker for slapping around the fanboys - I'm so sorry 
top poster - -MAKAVELLI- No Message - jose830 14084702 never forget - RlCKY 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jas 
Default Another big reason why Showtime >> HBO

HBO are so incessantly negative. Every damn fight, especially when Max is there, they veer from the fight into a dissection of the state of boxing, drawing power, fighters ducking other fighters, etc. There's just this constant cloud of negativity at every fight.

Last night, Max was going on and on about the decline of Gamboa - "where is the old exciting Gamboa"? - oh right. The one who used to sh*t on for his apparent defensive deficiencies and recklessless, Max?

Then he kept mentioning Gamboa's (lack of) drawing power.

In the Saul/Hatton fight, they kept bringing up that Hatton was over-matched. Yeah Max, we know that. Maybe if you keep re-iterating it, you will push away every casual fan.

Contrast that with Cotto/Mayorga (a fight I also wasn't particularly fond of) - but hey, at least the Showtime team sounded like they wanted to be there and actually stuck to commentating on the f*cking actual fight. The only HBO moment was when Tyson piped up () Just commentate on the damn fight, FFS.

It's been like this for a while. Every recent fight on HBO becomes a dissection on the ills of boxing. On the inadequacies of the boxers fighting. I'm not saying we should hide from issues - I maintain boxing is the worst run sport in the world - but goddamn, ease up on that sh*t.

I guess it's a reflection on the state of both the networks - Showtime are on the up and up, whereas HBO are faltering right now.

Thoughts?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-27-2011, 05:13 PM
mrpain81
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 39 mrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 352,239,272,504,755.81
Total Points: 353,239,392,713,126.19
great poster - Melly-Mel Thanks for posting the Rd by Rds for the fights I don't get to see and supplying heaps of great info. - danc1984 funny shit! - Tom Flores thanks for posting on the thread - robson24 Consistently funny poster. Thumbs up. - ddangerous 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Sox8055 

Good post.

HBO does go overboard with the negative *****, it's the worst on PPV under cards. A lot of times they ain't even paying attention to the fight and just bull*****ting about other random stuff.

You are right that SHO doesn't do that, they usually just focus on the fight and seem very enthusiastic.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Chino Madonna
Disrespectful Savage

Rep Power: 25 Chino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond reputeChino Madonna has a reputation beyond repute
Have a virtual beer on me. - S a m u r a i Hopefully this will help now that you have given up streams - danc1984 i felt bad for you cos i have more gifts than you. what can i say? im more likable :) heres a banana - vanilamilkshake for being a hating lil faag - Sir TomJones for destroying larry, that was entertaining - Alx. 
there there kid, there there - Earl Hickey absolute destruction of the forums biggest shit poster larryx - I'm so sorry underrated poster - -MAKAVELLI- Top bloke - Aztec Wanker for slapping around the fanboys - I'm so sorry 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Barrett View Post
He obviously wants the old Gamboa back...by ''Old Gamboa'' he means the reckless version of Gamboa without footwork and intelligence in offense and defense. Typical HBO retards.

I'm glad Gamboa is slowly calming his hurricaneish type of fighting down, it usually wears a fighter out throwing too many punches.
I just don't get it. I mean, sure he didn't look majorly stellar for a few fights but it's not like it was a huge decline. Even this restrained, smarter Gamboa is one of the most exciting fighters around.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:14 PM
esconore
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 7 esconore has a reputation beyond reputeesconore has a reputation beyond reputeesconore has a reputation beyond reputeesconore has a reputation beyond reputeesconore has a reputation beyond reputeesconore has a reputation beyond reputeesconore has a reputation beyond reputeesconore has a reputation beyond reputeesconore has a reputation beyond reputeesconore has a reputation beyond reputeesconore has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,060,521,523.74
Total Points: 2,060,557,359.42

OP hits it right on the button.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Russian Crushin
atheist with a gun

Rep Power: 175 Russian Crushin has a reputation beyond reputeRussian Crushin has a reputation beyond reputeRussian Crushin has a reputation beyond reputeRussian Crushin has a reputation beyond reputeRussian Crushin has a reputation beyond reputeRussian Crushin has a reputation beyond reputeRussian Crushin has a reputation beyond reputeRussian Crushin has a reputation beyond reputeRussian Crushin has a reputation beyond reputeRussian Crushin has a reputation beyond reputeRussian Crushin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,244,339,024,703,104.50
Total Points: 1,249,339,575,912,269.75
Happy B-Day brotha! - blaze778 Happy birthday bro! - led superbirthday - TBear cheers bro! - chiguy91 here's a fanta bro...i think - Alx. 
happy birthday! - dj Pepe happy bday again - TBear Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day - Bossy Happy birthday bro! - led Happy B-day - Cuauhtémoc1520 
ATG - rorymac Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy Holidays Russian Crushin, - !! AI-Holmes!! have a Happy and safe New Years my brother from a Russian mother :beerchug: - jose830 
Great Poster - Dr Rumack HBD bro. - led* Happy Birthday - Freedom. Hope you have a good one! - dan_cov cheers!! - drenlou 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - 'Sugar' Freddi Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - 'Sugar' Freddi Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - 'Sugar' Freddi Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mathed 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - TBear Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - TBear Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jose830 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr 

I'd rather they give their negative opinions then just say positive crap written for them
Old 03-27-2011, 05:18 PM
BetterCallSaul
Shot!

Rep Power: 36 BetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond reputeBetterCallSaul has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 139,553,919,702.71
Total Points: 179,574,025,912.49
'Dr Boring' LMAO!!!! - Chunk Funny stuff. - The RealDeal No Message - murfbreak3r Poster of the month award! - The Surgeon Knows what is good for the sport. - deanrw 
Enjoy - rorymac Happy Easter, some e-choccie for you :D - Bossy 

Any opinions regarding the legitimacy of a particular fight should be expressed in the build up coverage. Commentators should concentrate on the action, and not talk too much about the politics involved in any said fight.

Kellerman is the worst for negativity, and I think it drags the HBO broadcast down.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:21 PM
ИATAS
Legend

Rep Power: 159 ИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,729,335,764,380,386.25
Total Points: 3,657,290,383,606,233.00
Have a virtual beer on me. - F•R•K•O Good Poster! - J. HITTER Thanks for the help dude. - S a m u r a i For the brilliant post in lady's atheist 2 thread. - ABOSWORTH Bhop gif. I will send you gift number 2 when you actually finish it. :) - Precision 
Cocktail hour - mangler hey, you richly deserved the shiet right here, right now - cleaner147 to complete ur mothafukkin collection - cleaner147 War Hopkins!!!...Anyways Here Is A Gift My Man - BritishBoxing92 War Natas!!! - Old Coward 
Tye Tye Tye - DorianWozniacki one of my favourite posters - Blah! BURRRRRRRRR! - led's baby mama happy bday homey - MANGLER Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks 
great game thanks for payment :beerchug: - jose830 Great thread - Boxing Goat -Rapernick- :lol1: - -jose- It's Easter time, here's an Easter Egg for making classic threads - jas Great poster - jas 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Childhood Cancer - jazluvr Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - street bully Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr 
Autism - Lorily Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - MANGLER Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jas Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - jas Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jas 

they should revamp boxing after dark. Entire new commentators, new presentation, maybe make it more youthful (you know the youth of today all have ADD and can't focus on talking for 20-30 minutes between fights).
Old 03-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Chino Madonna
Disrespectful Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpain81 View Post
Good post.

HBO does go overboard with the negative *****, it's the worst on PPV under cards. A lot of times they ain't even paying attention to the fight and just bull*****ting about other random stuff.

You are right that SHO doesn't do that, they usually just focus on the fight and seem very enthusiastic.
Exactly, man. I've actually reached the point now where I hope fights are on SHO instead of HBO.

SHO have been awesome for a while. Tarver has been a great addition to the commentary team (tbf to HBO, RJJ is pretty awesome too) and they just build upon the sense of excitement the fans have pre-fight. Whereas HBO are more likely to put a pin in your balloon.

Max needs to STFU and commentate on the fight act like he actually wants to be there.

My only worry about SHO is that with Pac vs Mosley, they don't lose sight of what has made them great; making terrific match-ups that the true boxing fans appreciate, and not just "events" like HBO seem to be built on.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Chino Madonna
Disrespectful Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Crushin View Post
I'd rather they give their negative opinions then just say positive crap written for them
Hardcore fans like you and me will watch a fight regardless of whatever the f*ck Max is saying.

But imagine a casual fan tuning, who hears Max crap on the fight, the fighters, the attendance, etc. Would you watch a sport you were casually interested in in if the commentary team were negative right from the start?

I get what you're saying about being honest. But SHO honestly do not sound like it's a contrived, forced act. They just genuinely sound like they wanna be there. And that makes a big difference.

Last edited by Chino Madonna; 03-27-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Kevin Malone
@BangBangLampley

Rep Power: 17 Kevin Malone has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Malone has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Malone has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Malone has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Malone has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Malone has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Malone has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Malone has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Malone has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Malone has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 182,283,474,101.49
Total Points: 182,383,557,674.46
King Kev's Stream - farlap Honor to great poster! - kyshenko team one of the best posters - MANIAC310 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsInTheyFace View Post
Hardcore fans like you and me will watch a fight regardless of whatever the f*ck Max is saying.

But imagine a casual fan tuning, who hears Max crap on the fight, the fighters, the attendance, etc. Would you watch a sport you were casually interested in in if the commentary team were negative right from the start?

I get what you're saying about being honest. But SHO honestly do not sound like it's a contrived, forced act. They just genuinely sound like they wanna be there. And that makes a big difference.
I think you are right and it's a good point. I appreciate HBO being candid but sometimes go way too far where it's like they aren't even enjoying announcing a world class level boxing match. We get it, there is a ton of bullshit in boxing now (just like the past 200 years). Tell us about the fight.