Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Emon723
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Emon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,139,018.78
Default Holyfield-Lewis in '98: Would it make a difference

What lead to Evander Holyfield's unimpressive performance vs Lewis in March 1999.

He was 36 years old, an age when a boxer is supposed to be past his prime.
His fight with Henry Akinwande in June was cancelled, and fought an equally undeserving Vaughn Bean.
10 months of not getting into the ring after the unification bout with Moorer in Nov '97 and prior to the Bean fight, Sept '98.

If only Boxing at that time ride on a momentum of big fights, Holyfield vs Lewis immediately for the undisputed Heavyweight title in the summer of 1998, after the four best heavyweights fought in the same period (Lewis-Golota, Holyfield-Moorer). Consider these:

Akinwande and Bean had their previous title shots and dont deserve a second chance, Shannon Briggs cant even beat a 48-years old George Foreman and Zelijko Mavrovic mysteriously jump into the WBC number 1 rankings.

Would a year earlier make a difference in the outcome of the Holyfield-Lewis first fight where the Real deal was lucky to salvage a gifted draw.

Last edited by Emon723; 03-27-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-27-2011, 03:07 AM
jimmy1569
Banned

Rep Power: 0 jimmy1569 has a reputation beyond reputejimmy1569 has a reputation beyond reputejimmy1569 has a reputation beyond reputejimmy1569 has a reputation beyond reputejimmy1569 has a reputation beyond reputejimmy1569 has a reputation beyond reputejimmy1569 has a reputation beyond reputejimmy1569 has a reputation beyond reputejimmy1569 has a reputation beyond reputejimmy1569 has a reputation beyond reputejimmy1569 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 150,288,684.77
To help wipe away the tears after the Klitschkos are KO'd by Wilder - Deal With It Vitali Klitschko is an ATG - Freedom. Vitali beats any HW from any era - MASTERFUL So you can put it on each time you kiss the Klitschkos' asses. - ShoulderRoll Merry Christmas &amp; a happy NY! - dancovboxer 
Klitschko's are the best broski, THE best! - dancovboxer school them haters - Superflo777 

I still believe he won the second fight. He was taking it to Lewis & landing the bigger blows. He made the adjustments just like he had in the second Bowe fight. His last dominating performance was against Michael Moorer. He was really becoming unstoppable after he finished with both Mikes. He clearly started to lose that edge with The Bean fight & then Lewis. I don't think Lennox would've stood a chance against the Evander of The Tyson & Moorer fights where people were talking about him as a top 5 heavy alltime & a legend for what he had done to Tyson.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 AM
Holtol
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 Holtol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,486,611.29
Total Points: 3,092,161.78
Good Poster. - Barnburner Cheers! - poet682006 

Holyfield never did to much after the Lewis fights. Holyfield was not at his strongest in 99 a year earlier would have helped him a little bit, in the first fight and the second.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Quarry
Contender

Total Points: 5,198.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1569 View Post
I still believe he won the second fight. He was taking it to Lewis & landing the bigger blows. He made the adjustments just like he had in the second Bowe fight. His last dominating performance was against Michael Moorer. He was really becoming unstoppable after he finished with both Mikes. He clearly started to lose that edge with The Bean fight & then Lewis. I don't think Lennox would've stood a chance against the Evander of The Tyson & Moorer fights where people were talking about him as a top 5 heavy alltime & a legend for what he had done to Tyson.
i agree with you, Holy was robbed in the rematch with Lewis which is why he is determined to continue his quest to regain the title he feels he was unjustly robbed of
Old 03-27-2011, 06:01 AM
Mugwump
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Mugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,033,750.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
i agree with you, Holy was robbed in the rematch with Lewis ...
What on earth are you talking about? The word "robbed" implies Holyfield was four or five rounds ahead - perhaps more - and was the victim of a grossly unjust decision. I defy ANYONE to watch that bout and explain to me how Holyfield was miles ahead on the scorecards.

It's now come to the point where any decision, no matter how convincing, is counted as unquestionable evidence of corruption. Words and meaning have lost any semblance of connection.

I bet you believe they filmed the moon landings in a TV studio, too.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:06 AM
Emon723
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Emon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond reputeEmon723 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,139,018.78

Holyfield coming off signature wins over Tyson and Moorer will went to the ring with Lewis far confident than the 1999 version, I was actually disappointed by the outcome of the Bean fight, Holy try to over impressed his hometown crowd in Atlanta, even raising his hand after he knock Bean down late in the 10th.

In some way, history was really kind to Lewis, not that im saying Tyson and Holyfield will beat him at their very best, but Lewis fought a shadow of their former selves.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Quarry
Contender

Total Points: 5,198.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
What on earth are you talking about? The word "robbed" implies Holyfield was four or five rounds ahead - perhaps more - and was the victim of a grossly unjust decision. I defy ANYONE to watch that bout and explain to me how Holyfield was miles ahead on the scorecards.

It's now come to the point where any decision, no matter how convincing, is counted as unquestionable evidence of corruption. Words and meaning have lost any semblance of connection.

i would not claim Holy won by four or five rounds but three clear rounds ahead is more my score of that fight with the word Robbed used to describe how Holy lost his title, i have watched the fight several times over the years and could never understand how Lennox was awarded the decision

Old 03-27-2011, 07:52 AM
The_Demon
Big dog

Rep Power: 39 The_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Demon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 59,263,048,698.19
Total Points: 90,350,897,629.55
cant grren k you my friend at the moment so i got you a gift instead - project xxx1 Thanks 4 your Vote G... - The Gully Gad thanks mate - Pension-Killer Thanks for knowing the movie mane - Natedatpkid I hope this beer will help,. I'm a nice guy - McGoorty 
#tmt - sugarsmosley 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - DuttyAlacrity Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - JM1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - JM1 Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Sir TomJones 
Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Sir TomJones Childhood Cancer - Sir TomJones Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post

Haha well put,people dont seem too understand what the term 'robbed' means
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Mugwump
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Mugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,033,750.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
i would not claim Holy won by four or five rounds but three clear rounds ahead is more my score of that fight with the word Robbed used to describe how Holy lost his title, i have watched the fight several times over the years and could never understand how Lennox was awarded the decision

You're out of your mind. Jeff Fenech's defeat to Azumah Nelson in their first fight was unquestionably a "robbery". Robin Reid's decision loss to Sven Ottke was also a "robbery". Holyfield's loss to Lewis was a tight decision. I had Lewis ahead by a round, perhaps two. But I wouldn't have complained if it came out a draw because it was a fiercely contested bout. But a robbery? Not in a million years. The fact that you cannot understand why Lewis won says more about your understanding of boxing than the decision itself.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Holtol
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 Holtol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond reputeHoltol has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,486,611.29
Total Points: 3,092,161.78
Good Poster. - Barnburner Cheers! - poet682006 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Demon View Post
Haha well put,people dont seem too understand what the term 'robbed' means
I think if a boxer wins 7 or 8 rounds and his opponent is given the decision the boxer who won most of the rounds was robbed of the win. It is very hard to win two thirds of a fight against elite compitition. To have to win all but three rounds of a fight to get a decision is rediculous.