Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Forza
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Forza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 30,609,284.67
one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Viva Il Duce - Rocky... Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 
Default Heard this story about SRL, true or false?

I heard that during SRL's prime he did this thing for the military and visited a navy warship and if you didn;t know this these ships having boxing clubs on them with rings and everything so the sailors can blow off some steam and boredom during the trips across oceans. Anyway the champion of the ship got to have a boxing exhibition match with leonard and he actually ended up knocking leonard down and nearly K.Oing him.

Is it true? How could some sailor who boxed as a hobby even land 1 punch on a prime sugar ray leonard?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Clegg

Rep Power: 154 Clegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,772,524,369,373,051.00
Total Points: 2,837,965,652,621,995.00
Before I get banned. - Richard Nixon FREE RiZO! - Carlton Banks MMM-My Sharona! - RiZО Have an apple Clegg - danc1984 Yank food is good - mangler jr 
Chunk cake - It's part of your 5 a day! - Chunk Coffee Is Professional - Loccy To make up for that soggy one. - Raider Monkz mhh Alizee is moi lolita &amp;lt;3 - cleaner147 Professional Cookie - Loccy 
super clegg - Old Coward No Message - -veteran420- with love - -veteran420- Merry Christmas - Flab Happy new year! - Toney Loc 
yum yum pot noodle - Mike_Hunt super e-baller - MANIAC310 Well deserved, never saw you at history section - HaglerSteelChin It sounds like you need one, LOL - HaglerSteelChin Have some more - HaglerSteelChin 
Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - mangler Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Scientist Gay and Lesbian Pride - RiΖΟ Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - PensionKiller Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy 
Childhood Cancer - MANGLER Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANGLER Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Head and Neck Cancer - LeeVanCleef 

I've not heard of this but I did a bit of googling and found...
Quote:
This extract from a cutting! Wonder if he was a Chef or Waiter!

Have I enjoyed a good fight? (Steve Sinclair) Oh yeah, too right. In 1982 I was working in the store room on the QE2, and Sugar Ray Leonard came on board. It was just before he fought Hagler, he was light middleweight champion of the world. The boss said would I fight him - just sparring, for the passengers. I did five 2-minute rounds with him; his speed was awesome." He unfolds a magazine cutting, showing a photograph of his young self in the ring, flushed and keen in silk red shorts, dancing round the champ.

By his own admission, Steve's got away with quite a bit over the years. 'I've been 15 or 16 times in crown court on different charges. Wounding, GBH, affray, endangering the public. I've had major trials, where they had to move us out of Blackpool. I've been arrested for bank robbery. They've accused me of contract hits. I was a minder for a big drug dealer. One time police came to my place and searched the deep freezer, looking for a body.

The other night he was signing gloves for the punters and posing for pictures, which he did after every show, and this big lad stepped up and said, ***8216;Do you remember me?***8217; Straight away Ray laughed. The guy was a chef on the QE2 20-odd years ago when Ray came across with his wife.

***8220;They***8217;d put up a ring on the ship and the chef, a guy called Steve Sinclair, went in and sparred with Ray and got a bit excited, hitting him hard in one of his eyes and Ray had just had surgery for a detached retina. Before the poor guy knew it he was down on the floor from a left hook to the body and the spar was over.

On UK tv last night i saw as part of an unrelated programme a clip of Sugar Ray on the QE2 sparring five rounds with an amateur boxer (QE2 waiter Steve Sinclair). Sugar Ray was World champion at the time but recovering from an eye injury. The bout looked like it was set in the Queens room with a roped ring. After gingerley sparring the waiter chanced his arm and hit Sugar Ray with two hard head shots, this was not a good idea as Leonard promptly winded him with a heavy bodypunch, when asked if it hurt (no reply) he hit him again and said that one did. Leonard won the fight
http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4739

So it sounds like the other guy took the spar seriously, and Ray responded by hitting him with a hard punch.

I remember reading similar stories about Mickey Rourke trying a bit too hard with a retired (and imprisoned, I think?) Monzon and getting laid out for his troubles, and it was reported that Naseem Hamed knocked someone to the ground in prison when they tried to take a casual spar too seriously.

Last edited by Clegg; 02-27-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 PM
mikeyh1015
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 9 mikeyh1015 has a reputation beyond reputemikeyh1015 has a reputation beyond reputemikeyh1015 has a reputation beyond reputemikeyh1015 has a reputation beyond reputemikeyh1015 has a reputation beyond reputemikeyh1015 has a reputation beyond reputemikeyh1015 has a reputation beyond reputemikeyh1015 has a reputation beyond reputemikeyh1015 has a reputation beyond reputemikeyh1015 has a reputation beyond reputemikeyh1015 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,036,249.88

False, milatary aren't build for boxing. They have no ego. Thats why they will never make good boxers. Milatary, cops, etc. Can take the heat...unless they have a gun
Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 PM
DarkTerror88
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 DarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 135,616,739.80
Good Poster! You need a medal. - "Marvelous" thanks - Toney616 ;) - rorymac In Remembrance..... Smokin' Joe - McGoorty Merry Christmas - The Surgeon 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - "Marvelous" Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - "Marvelous" 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
I heard that during SRL's prime he did this thing for the military and visited a navy warship and if you didn;t know this these ships having boxing clubs on them with rings and everything so the sailors can blow off some steam and boredom during the trips across oceans. Anyway the champion of the ship got to have a boxing exhibition match with leonard and he actually ended up knocking leonard down and nearly K.Oing him.

Is it true? How could some sailor who boxed as a hobby even land 1 punch on a prime sugar ray leonard?
i havent heard this story. but if you underestimate someone and walk in with your guard down you can get caught bad. Its happened to me teaching this 13 year old kid a few weeks ago. (its not my fault. hes taller than me and outweights me :P)
Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Forza
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Forza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond reputeForza has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,609,284.67
one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Viva Il Duce - Rocky... Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

Thanks clegg, that sounds more realistic!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
The Surgeon
Days Of Glory

Rep Power: 54 The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 187,446,455,662.70
Total Points: 300,431,328,557.40
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
I've not heard of this but I did a bit of googling and found...

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4739

So it sounds like the other guy took the spar seriously, and Ray responded by hitting him with a hard punch.

I remember reading similar stories about Mickey Rourke trying a bit too hard with a retired (and imprisoned, I think?) Monzon and getting laid out for his troubles, and it was reported that Naseem Hamed knocked someone to the ground in prison when they tried to take a casual spar too seriously.
Good find Clegg. Im 90% sure thats true about Naz too. As for Rourke i knew he sparred Monzon in jail but didnt hear about him getting clobbered but its very believable.

Anybody seen any Mickey Rourke fights?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
BigStereotype
#1 Knicks Fan

Rep Power: 54 BigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond reputeBigStereotype has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 253,418,657,407.95
Total Points: 455,418,877,389.26
Very Good poster. - Barnburner Keep up the good posts. - Barnburner BURRRRRRRRR! - Natedatpkid 100% solid - The Surgeon another useless dothraki clown, here savage - Ether 
Heres a Fish! - The Surgeon :) - MANIAC310 Merry Christmas - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon No problem bro, thanks.. Knicks will be fine. - Fresno 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surgeon View Post
Good find Clegg. Im 90% sure thats true about Naz too. As for Rourke i knew he sparred Monzon in jail but didnt hear about him getting clobbered but its very believable.

Anybody seen any Mickey Rourke fights?
It's funny, there's a video of one up in the thread "Plastic Surgery" in the lounge. Good God it's ugly. Funny that Monzon KTFO'd Mickey Rourke.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:56 PM
The Surgeon
Days Of Glory

Rep Power: 54 The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 187,446,455,662.70
Total Points: 300,431,328,557.40
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStereotype View Post
It's funny, there's a video of one up in the thread "Plastic Surgery" in the lounge. Good God it's ugly. Funny that Monzon KTFO'd Mickey Rourke.
Lol yeah i seen him fight before and he is pretty awful, all credit to the dude tho the pressure must have been immense after being such a star actor
Old 03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
The Iron Man
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 The Iron Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Iron Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Iron Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Iron Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Iron Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Iron Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Iron Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Iron Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Iron Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Iron Man has a reputation beyond reputeThe Iron Man has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 29,823,872,600.34
Total Points: 29,823,893,885.64
thank you for the friend request!! i hope you win the 10k someday - Miyagi good to be back man! - Hawkins 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surgeon View Post
Lol yeah i seen him fight before and he is pretty awful, all credit to the dude tho the pressure must have been immense after being such a star actor
Mate, i know it a bit off topic but im not sure if you've seen this, talking of Micky Rourke just reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hByasUEclYM
Old 03-01-2011, 04:01 PM
joseph5620
undisputed

Rep Power: 20 joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,187,398,986,602.55
Total Points: 14,230,404,108,309.41
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post

False. I have it on VHS and saw it with my own eyes. It was during Leonard's first retirement. It was supposed to be a light sparring session and the military(a heavyweight) fighter came to close to hitting Leonard in his surgically repaired eye. Leonard reacted by taking him out with two hard left hooks to the body. That was it. I saw this with my own eyes. On the same VHS Leonard visited Dave "boy" Green and the two of them watched their fight together. After the brutal KO by Leonard, Green cringed and Leonard put his arm around him.It was a very interesting documentary.