• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he should of fought benn and eubank,not sure why they didnt fight

i still think jones beats both but they would of been great fights

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      Surely Benn would have a punchers chance and Roy was probably chinny also back then. But all things considered Roy was just to fast and to talented to be denied in this match-up. It's very much a shame that Jones didn't fight better opposition BITD. I wonder if he has any regrets about that bit today.
      Its a shame we didnt see roy against more of the best,we always talk about how great he is and talent wise he certainly was,but when you look at the guys around his weight at that time,he really could have had a great resume too match his skills

Comment

Honestly I could see it going either way. Jones was no paper champ, he beat a prime toney AND a prime Bhop ( and jones had a torn rotator cuff that night, trainer begged him not to fight ). The rest of his opponents I can't say much about, ruiz was a ****ty HW. Montell was a B level fighter. paz was a C level fighter and way smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
          Honestly I could see it going either way. Jones was no paper champ, he beat a prime toney AND a prime Bhop ( and jones had a torn rotator cuff that night, trainer begged him not to fight ). The rest of his opponents I can't say much about, ruiz was a ****ty HW. Montell was a B level fighter. paz was a C level fighter and way smaller.
          Would have too favour Jones (as i would against any 168lber) but Benn sure would have been one of his tougher tests

Comment

I think jones would of won but benn would of bn one of his hardest fight. I heard a rumour that jones didnt like fighters that could punch. He done well against tiney because toney doesnt have great punching power. He is rumoured to have ducked benn and steve collins around the 95 96 era. Both benn and collins said in public they wanted to fight jones. Would of made great fights wish it happend.

Comment

Originally posted by Tha Executioner View Post
              I'm still on the fence on who I would pick.

I like Benn, but Roy would probably win.
              Im not sure why it didnt happen but my pick would be Roy Jones and i think he'd have looked devastating doing it! But it never happend and now we have to speculate

I spoke to Benn about it, i said it was a pitty he never got a Jones fight and his reply was - Nah it was a blessing he'd have killed me! (or words to that effect!)
              This was back when Roy was on top

Comment

Continental fights are very rare always have been. You rarely get a Hatton vs Mayweather or Hamed vs Barrera those just don't happen very often

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  Im not sure why it didnt happen but my pick would be Roy Jones and i think he'd have looked devastating doing it! But it never happend and now we have to speculate

I spoke to Benn about it, i said it was a pitty he never got a Jones fight and his reply was - Nah it was a blessing he'd have killed me! (or words to that effect!)
                  This was back when Roy was on top
                  Which Benn did you speak to? The humble, modest, self-effacing Benn of today or the nasty, truculent "Dark Destroyer" that was Benn in the 80s? I can imagine the above from the former, not the latter.

As for the fight - again, it kind of depends on which version of Benn we're talking about. Barring stupidity I'd back him to easily defeat the wild-swinging Benn that was stopped by Eubank and Watson. But the accurate and economical Benn that fought Gerald McClellan would be another story entirely. I think Jones, whilst still the favourite, would be very hard pressed in such a fight. I don't think I've ever seen a more furious - perhaps even maniacal - fighter in a ring than Benn on that tragic night. His drive, focus, aggression and sheer will-to-win often make me wonder whether anyone could have defeated him that evening. At the end of the fight he emitted a seemingly endless roar of pent-up hatred which seemed like something out of a Viking epic.

THAT Benn would be some test for Jones. There's no doubt that Roy had the skills to win - but Nigel had a way of taking fighters into the trenches and I'm not entirely sure that Roy would be able to overcome someone who he would practically have to kill to stop himself from being killed.

Comment

If these two guy's fought it would have been bad for someones health...I know that Benn would have took the fight if it was on offer, But I think the people around him at the time advised him not to...I think the same goes for Jones...

Comment

roy jones ducked nigel benn, chris eubank , steve collins and dariusz michalczewski. know why? cause he knew these guys could or even would rape his ass

Comment

Working...
                      X