Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 PM
ajohnz
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 6 ajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,105,978.77
Default Serious Question about Boxing Injuries to amatuer athletes

So I have been going to a gym for about 3 months and tonight was my first sparring session. I got hit once and it dazed me pretty good for a second. I didn't fall down or anything but it was definitely a good shot. I have only "sparred" one other time in my life a few months ago with a friend just messing around. he also got me one time that kinda dazed me. both times i felt a little weird after for a while like i had to think for a second to remember certain things like what day of the week it was. I was able to continue sparring both times just felt a little weird after i got done. i was just wondering if things like this were common for beginners or if things like this can cause serious long term injuries. i just got a little worried after feeling weird for a while. any advice would help and thanks in advance.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 PM
ajohnz
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 6 ajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond reputeajohnz has a reputation beyond repute

bump umpbay
Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Rockin'
SRR by Triangle Theory

Rep Power: 19450 Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 26,960,367,957,159.73
Total Points: 26,960,367,976,214.11
have a drink bud - peyk-peyk another one bud - peyk-peyk tnx 4 the green champ - BoZz Have a beer on me... - BulgariasFinest I have great respect for you as a poster - rorymac 
Much appreciated my friend - BulgariasFinest thanks champ, respect :) - calmdown you were a good opponent or whatever, now its over between you and me as rivals or fake rivals, whatever it was, lol, no more problems from me to you in my part - Tha_Greatest 10k. Keep postin'. - BattlingNelson Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 
10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery 
for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

welcome to the world of boxing. Either you want to do it or you don't. You knew going in that you weren't signing up for a round of golf. And no, that is not uncommon, after abit you just get used to it and it subsides. It's very similar to the hits that you take in football, some will leave you ringing for awhile....Rockin'

Last edited by Rockin'; 01-27-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 PM
actionjackson
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 0 actionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these partsactionjackson is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 35,887,611.78

I think the post-sparring feeling you are thinking of is being very tired. When begginers start sparring most tend to have difficulty with proper breathing patterns causing lack of oxygen to the head (some high level pros do simular things). After breathing heavy for so long will definetly cause to you be light heading and out of it (tired), especailly if you got rocked during the sparring.

As for the shots you took, sounds like you just got your bell rung. It will happen to anyone if they someone connects with a very solid punch cleanly. This would be worse if you didnt see the punch coming, as a novice that tends to happen often.

Practice deap breathing in sparring and do some roadwork on a regular basic and you should be fine I would think.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Rockin'
SRR by Triangle Theory

Rep Power: 19450 Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 26,960,367,957,159.73
Total Points: 26,960,367,976,214.11
have a drink bud - peyk-peyk another one bud - peyk-peyk tnx 4 the green champ - BoZz Have a beer on me... - BulgariasFinest I have great respect for you as a poster - rorymac 
Much appreciated my friend - BulgariasFinest thanks champ, respect :) - calmdown you were a good opponent or whatever, now its over between you and me as rivals or fake rivals, whatever it was, lol, no more problems from me to you in my part - Tha_Greatest 10k. Keep postin'. - BattlingNelson Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 
10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery 
for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
I think the post-sparring feeling you are thinking of is being very tired. When begginers start sparring most tend to have difficulty with proper breathing patterns causing lack of oxygen to the head (some high level pros do simular things). After breathing heavy for so long will definetly cause to you be light heading and out of it (tired), especailly if you got rocked during the sparring.

As for the shots you took, sounds like you just got your bell rung. It will happen to anyone if they someone connects with a very solid punch cleanly. This would be worse if you didnt see the punch coming, as a novice that tends to happen often.

Practice deap breathing in sparring and do some roadwork on a regular basic and you should be fine I would think.
Good advice............Rockin'
Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Evil Abed
The Darkest Timeline...

Rep Power: 80 Evil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 43,611,350,904,121.81
Total Points: 43,631,168,450,139.17
Jimmy Malone sends his regards! - LeeVanCleef have a beer - -MAKAVELLI- Some fruit for a stalwart of this magnificent craft. - Robin Hood One ring to rule em all... - -KULT- even phantom need to eat.. - -KULT- 
some more food.. - -KULT- Happy beerday bro - Talisayen Feliz Cumpleanos - MANIAC310 happy birthday homie - hhs661 happy bday bro - chiguy91 
Thanks. I can't sent you green. - Carpe Diem merry x-mas! - chiguy91 you're the reason i dont need to check twitter lol - -MAKAVELLI- One of NSBs best - BostonGuy 20k - MELLY-MEL... 
Beer on the house on your 20k post... - jose830 i enjoy your posts mate, grats on 20k - Alx. To 20k more - Sweet Pea 50 Here's one on me. Congrats! - Led® your posts are always hilarious and entertaining - Alx. 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ThePhantom5 Childhood Cancer - ThePhantom5 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -KULT- 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -KULT- Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 

You should take it a little easier next time out.

You don't have to kill each other every time out.

Keep you chin tucked and your hands up.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 PM
ajohnz
Interim Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post

yeah i was definitely extremely tired and i have noticed i dont really have a good breathing technique. i've noticed that most people who have been boxing for a while make a unique breathing noise when they throw punches. i'm not too sure how to do this correctly.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 PM
ajohnz
Interim Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
You should take it a little easier next time out.

You don't have to kill each other every time out.

Keep you chin tucked and your hands up.
yeah the trainers there actually commented to me that i was not keeping my chin tucked and i was holding my jab hand too low when my hands were up so it wasnt defending my face at all.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 AM
axo90
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 axo90 is infamous around these partsaxo90 is infamous around these partsaxo90 is infamous around these partsaxo90 is infamous around these partsaxo90 is infamous around these partsaxo90 is infamous around these partsaxo90 is infamous around these partsaxo90 is infamous around these partsaxo90 is infamous around these partsaxo90 is infamous around these partsaxo90 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 6,019.04

After a while you'll get used to it, manny said he pretends he didnt get hit i guess its kinda like a mental thing to help shrug it off, but remember to move ur head and always cover up
Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Come∂ian
Comedian Taught Her

Rep Power: 16 Come∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond reputeCome∂ian has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 14,111,923,938,701.29
Total Points: 14,120,965,520,680.92
Have a beer. Great videos meng. - [KLTP] -Kirby- the best when it comes to GIF replies. lol you deserve this one - bahay kubo For the fun i had on the gif :D - led No Message - led Slickest Poster Alive - ThePhantom5 
BURRRRRRRRRRR! James Kirkland vid! - Bloody$Nate$ SuperComedian - (ROY) amazing sig bro, haha. - chiguy91 owning the shit out of pac-girl - I'm so sorry CAN MAN - CounterPunching 

The first time I sparred I got caught with a mean left uppercut straight right hand combination. I had the same headache for two days. I havent had any headaches since then I guess my body got used to sparring or something's wrong with me and I wont find out what until im 70. You should be good though, i've seen alotta people knocked out or dropped and where just fine after words.