Up and Comer
Join Date: Feb 2010
Rep Power: 0
Total Points: 14,982.25
Pacquiao's Options in Perspective
Here is breakdown of what Pacquiao can do. And keeping it in prospective on what is best for his career.
Floyd Mayweather Jr:
This is the fight everybody wants. And it is the fight boxing needs. If it happens, fantastic. But Pacquiao should not wait, or do anything on Floyd's terms. While the payday should be 50/50. I am not holding my breath. But this is the fight we all want to see.
It seems a lot of people don't like this fight. I do, it a fight where Pacquiao can make a lot of money and beat a name fighter. Mosley still packs a huge punch. And has an agressive style and a punchers chance. Plus he has been in big fights before. He is old, but he still viable to a point Pacquiao could be the 1st to stop Sugar Shane. This fight could be entertaining while it lasts.
Miguel Cotto rematch: We already seen this fight. Plus it would be a tough sell considering the first fight's destructive ending.
Andre Berto: He has not beat a fighter of note in his entire career. Plus he is not well known. He has talent, but he could be ruined by getting in their with Pacquiao, needs to prove himself.
Juan Manuel Marquez: A 3rd fight would be great. Only at 140 though. If they fight at 140 this is a fight that would be 2nd behind a mayweather fighter. If not, 147 makes no sense. Marquez would be flattened in 2 or 3 rounds at 147.
Bradley/Alexander: Good young fighters. But neither is accomplished or well known. The fight would not generate money or interest needed. plus it is a risk fighting guys like this, especially with Mayweahter looming.
Martinez/Williams: Too big...not viable. Putting pac at risk for not much money.
So here Pac's best option IMO.
1. Mayweather--No Doubt, no debate.
All the others are distant but in this order. As each is flawed, but still viable.
2. Mosley--Name fighter, still power and a great career at 147. Entertaining style(Mora fight non withstanding) makes for good fight. Pacquiao would win and could be the first to stop Mosley
3. Marquez---At 147 this fight is a distant 3rd. People would tune in, but Pac would flatten Juan in 3 or 4 rounds. At 140 would be the 2nd best fight
4. Cotto- Seen it before. Cotto has a a great following, but he would be destroyed again.
5. Berto--Berto has not beaten anybody in his career. The only good fighter he actual fought was pretty much even up with LuisCollzao. This fight is only viable for die hards. Doesn't sell main stream.
6. Bradley-Alexander winner--Good fight, but Pacquiao is not fighting these guys. No name recongintion and not much money. Would be a poor business move.
7. Martinez-Williams winner--Could win the fight, but could be a huge risk and damage his health. These guys are too big.
Juan Manuel marquez
|options, pacquiao's, perspective|