Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Perfect Plex
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 Perfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond reputePerfect Plex has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 3,944,272.13
For your contributions to the History Section - Barnburner Stay safe - rorymac Good thread - rorymac 
Default How Great Do You Really Feel Marvin Hagler's Resume Of Wins Is?

???
???
???
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-12-2010, 07:51 PM
paulsinghnl
Student of the game

Rep Power: 7 paulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 180,136.24
Total Points: 225,577.41

hagler - hearns.. do i need to say more?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 PM
DarkTerror88
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 DarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 135,615,759.80
Good Poster! You need a medal. - "Marvelous" thanks - Toney616 ;) - rorymac In Remembrance..... Smokin' Joe - McGoorty Merry Christmas - The Surgeon 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - "Marvelous" Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - "Marvelous" 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsinghnl View Post
hagler - hearns.. do i need to say more?
Hagler -Duran??
Hell the Mugabi that a slightly over the hill Hagler fought was a killer at the time too.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 PM
paulsinghnl
Student of the game

Rep Power: 7 paulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
Hagler -Duran??
Hell the Mugabi that a slightly over the hill Hagler fought was a killer at the time too.
yea.. that was more for dramatic effect, hahaha. but Hagler really does have a impressive resume. the loss against leonard was also questionable, which also makes him greater, right?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:32 PM
DarkTerror88
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 DarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 135,615,759.80
Good Poster! You need a medal. - "Marvelous" thanks - Toney616 ;) - rorymac In Remembrance..... Smokin' Joe - McGoorty Merry Christmas - The Surgeon 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - "Marvelous" Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - "Marvelous" 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsinghnl View Post
yea.. that was more for dramatic effect, hahaha. but Hagler really does have a impressive resume. the loss against leonard was also questionable, which also makes him greater, right?
If you can lose and Decades later have people STILL fighting over the decision, then your a legend no matter what. Methinks so anyways.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:00 AM
PEBBLES!
Banned

Bank: 185,677,884.59
Total Points: 1,277,340,211.00
welcome back - Freedom Fighter i just wanted to welcome you bakk with this gift and a nice big fukk u , lol, nyahahahahahaha, just playing, welcome bakk homie - Tha_Greatest welcome back buddy :) - Gorilla Dogs HALAL SUBWAY - DiLLiNGER one of the most enteratining and badass guys here - dj emz 
even though you are a deceitful baterd , lol, i cant hate you forever, lol, nyahahahaha - Tha_Greatest stay up, my friend. - Willy Wanker merry xmas - Subtraction for the underrated stone roses!...long overdue - BritishBoxing92 Thanks for the downloads. - Barnburner 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest peace homie, lol, you made sully and demise your official bittches, lol, im off, lol, nyahahaha - Tha_Greatest Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
happy holidays akh - dj emzz 
Childhood Cancer - dj emz 

Why are you citing a natural Lightweight & Welterweight as an example of Marvin's best wins?

He had better wins imo.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 PM
PhillyPhan69
Amateur

Total Points: 1,347.16

In 79 he (drew/beat) WBC/WBA Antuofermo
in 80 he beat #6 Hamani & WBC/WBA champ Minter
81 beat 3 top 5 ranked opponents Obelmejias/Hamsho/Antuofermo
82 beat unranked Caveman Lee & top 5 ranked Obelmejias
83 beat top 5 ranked Scypion (unified belts) and Duran
84 beat top 5 ranked hamsho/Roldan
85 beat #1 ranked hearns
86 beat #1 ranked Mugabi

The only top ranked opponents he missed Dwight Davison- Lost to Sibson in 82 and hagler fought/beat Sibson...Curtis Parker- Lost to hamsho/Scypion in 81 Hagler beat em both...Frank Fletcher- Lost to scypion and Hagler beat him...James Shuler/James kinchen- Shuler lost to hearns & Kinchen lost to Shuler & Hearns.

So basically he beat every ranked opponent or the men who beat them, so his resume is near flawless IMHO. You can argue that it was a weak era, but that only carries so much weight, he dominated the era.

77 he avenged perhaps his only legitimate defeat (the only one he acknowledges anyway) by beating Monroe X's 2 and closes the year by beatin #1 ranked colbert..He should have got a title shot here abouts!

78 beats top 5 ranked Briscoe & Kevin Finnegan X's 2

Mid 70's went into Philadelphia in their Golden age of MW's and fought Cyclone hart, Bobby Watts, Willie Monroe, Bennie Briscoe when they could not get title shots and had to continuasly fight one another.

Not sure if you are trying to belitlle his resume or era or merely searching for others opinions???

IMHO One of the best MW's ever (top 5 easily for me), fought every one and every where on his way up, denied a title shot while beating better competition than the title holders of the mid to late 70's. Won the title and beat everyone of note and lost the belt on a very disputed decision to SRL.

Not much to poke at for me
Old 11-13-2010, 09:35 PM
HaglerSteelChin
Self-Exiled

Rep Power: 10 HaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 22,468,271.32
Total Points: 42,580,265.26
gizmo - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin right back at you girly man - E.P.T. sleep on this while you think about Hagler - E.P.T. 
Cheers, thanks for the gesture - A-Wolf 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
In 79 he (drew/beat) WBC/WBA Antuofermo
in 80 he beat #6 Hamani & WBC/WBA champ Minter
81 beat 3 top 5 ranked opponents Obelmejias/Hamsho/Antuofermo
82 beat unranked Caveman Lee & top 5 ranked Obelmejias
83 beat top 5 ranked Scypion (unified belts) and Duran
84 beat top 5 ranked hamsho/Roldan
85 beat #1 ranked hearns
86 beat #1 ranked Mugabi

The only top ranked opponents he missed Dwight Davison- Lost to Sibson in 82 and hagler fought/beat Sibson...Curtis Parker- Lost to hamsho/Scypion in 81 Hagler beat em both...Frank Fletcher- Lost to scypion and Hagler beat him...James Shuler/James kinchen- Shuler lost to hearns & Kinchen lost to Shuler & Hearns.

So basically he beat every ranked opponent or the men who beat them, so his resume is near flawless IMHO. You can argue that it was a weak era, but that only carries so much weight, he dominated the era.

77 he avenged perhaps his only legitimate defeat (the only one he acknowledges anyway) by beating Monroe X's 2 and closes the year by beatin #1 ranked colbert..He should have got a title shot here abouts!

78 beats top 5 ranked Briscoe & Kevin Finnegan X's 2

Mid 70's went into Philadelphia in their Golden age of MW's and fought Cyclone hart, Bobby Watts, Willie Monroe, Bennie Briscoe when they could not get title shots and had to continuasly fight one another.

Not sure if you are trying to belitlle his resume or era or merely searching for others opinions???

IMHO One of the best MW's ever (top 5 easily for me), fought every one and every where on his way up, denied a title shot while beating better competition than the title holders of the mid to late 70's. Won the title and beat everyone of note and lost the belt on a very disputed decision to SRL.

Not much to poke at for me
Another opponent that is overlooked is tough tall mexican Marcos Geraldo. SRL said that Geraldo was his toughest opponent until he faced Benitez, and claimed he was the hardest hitter also until he faced Duran and Hearns.

Geraldo gave Hagler tough fight, my dvd skips around round 3, so i either need to clean or replace it, but it was a pretty good fight.

As a side note, Hearns knocked Geraldo out in 1 round, shows how strong Hearns was.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 PM
paulsinghnl
Student of the game

i don't remember which documentary it was, but they said that the muscles of Hagler's head were essentially made up to be a football helmet made of muscle. that's how Hearns broke his hand on his head, f-in hard head.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:11 AM
TBear
Lords of Boxingscene

Rep Power: 431 TBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 507,227,090,484,177,216.00
Total Points: 507,227,090,484,188,608.00
great espn gallery!! , just finished wlad vs jackson.another great quality upload. - CAPT AMSTERDAM Some espn classic fights... awesome thread T!  I can't beleive I've never seen it - jose830 i couldn't green you , so here's a beer TBear!! - HUGH JASS GIF Thread: Distinguished Service Medal - Barnburner I be loving them gifs you post :fing02: - jose830 
One of BScenes best - jazluvr happy holidays bro - jazluvr thanks T...Merry Christmas to you too. - -jose- lol sorry about the rose, I meant to send you some bubbly lol - -jose- Happy Holidays, bud! - Talisayen 
Happy Holidays, TBear! - peyk-peyk Good looking out, TBear! - Fistic everything good T thanks for asking - -jose- blue parallelogram to you :D - lebrick legendary - lazy 
Classic Boxing Pictures - - Ram Raid - Hope you had a good long weekend. - -jose- Thanks for honoring your bet in a timely manner bro, cheers! - Tyler_Durden honestly T I believe you would make the perfect Mod you got my vote... is it cool with you if I post that on the thread? - -jose- tried to green ya but ive given too much in the last 24 hours, i still got your bakk - Tha_Greatest 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S A M U R A I Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - S A M U R A I Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - S A M U R A I Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - MANGLER Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - MANGLER 
Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - MANGLER World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cooper5 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Izrock AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Raider Monkz 
Head and Neck Cancer - Izrock Childhood Cancer - ??? Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ??? Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Hard Dick Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Unknown Champ 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - BABYBOXER Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Trudoe 

Remember Hagler fought in a time there was only one miiddleweight champion. Compare that to the combined accomplishments today of all the WBA,WBC, IBF and WBO champions in a weight class might do in a year combined. And Hagler did this for many years! Back then #1 and #2 would fight each other(imagine that) for a chance and Hagler repeatedly beat these worthy challengers.

Another point Hagler was the #1 contender for a very long time. While waiting for a title shot he did not sit and protect his ranking. He faced and beat 5 top ten contenders while he waited. It was to the point the Ring Magazine was calling him the uncrowned champion. His pre-title run is underrated and rarely discussed. His resume is impressive.