What to do if you're skinny-fat???? - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM #1
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 45,103.31
Question What to do if you're skinny-fat????

I only weigh 155. I want to weigh 165, but I don't want to put on fat because I already have a small gut. I workout already and I'm seeing slight results. I put on 5 pounds, but I think I put on some more fat because I'm eating so much protein.

Should I lose fat and then focus on building muscle?
Reed Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 AM #2
Banned

Reed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond reputeReed Tard has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 45,103.31

Everyone says to lose fat I need to eat less calories, but then they say I need to eat more calories in order to build muscle and add mass. What do I do?
Reed Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:42 AM #3
Contender

Emphasis will become famous soon enoughEmphasis will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 25,043.29

I'd say cardio (running) should help out drastically. The running will help drop the unnecessary pounds and a healthy diet will keep your weight where it is supposed to be.

If 165 is a realistic goal for you, then I'd say configure your workout and diet to one that will help you build mass. You'll probably gain a little fat doing this regardless.

For shedding fat, the running will undoubtedly help.
Emphasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 AM #4
Interim Champion

ScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud of
Bank: 444,830.25
Total Points: 465,347.87
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - bearman3000 

To gain muscle you have to be eating more calories than you are burning off, but there is a limit where you will eat way too many calories and will start to build fat. And have a good weight lifting program of course.

You don't want to be eating crappy sugary/fat junk foods. Lean protein, complex carbs, healthy fats. Same kind of foods you would eat if you are trying to lose weight, just eat more.
ScottDBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:27 AM #5
Banned

MOTHER DUCKER has a reputation beyond reputeMOTHER DUCKER has a reputation beyond reputeMOTHER DUCKER has a reputation beyond reputeMOTHER DUCKER has a reputation beyond reputeMOTHER DUCKER has a reputation beyond reputeMOTHER DUCKER has a reputation beyond reputeMOTHER DUCKER has a reputation beyond reputeMOTHER DUCKER has a reputation beyond reputeMOTHER DUCKER has a reputation beyond reputeMOTHER DUCKER has a reputation beyond reputeMOTHER DUCKER has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 25,217,821.24
Total Points: 25,257,905.07
For being a cool poster - -Ironmike- The GOAT - dj emz The GOAT - dj emz 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - dj emz 

Personally i would drop weight till you got rid of the gut then build back up, its kind of what i am doing right now. Was 210 at 5,11 i looked ok but not great and a bit puffy in some areas, dropped too 190 now in the last few months, aiming for 180 then i will build up.

I see so many people who claim to be bodybuilers/lifters etc they have big arms/shoulders but they have fat belly and look horrible imo
MOTHER DUCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,083,865.59
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Everyone will give slightly different answers but this is what I would do:

1) Spend the next two to or three months weight training. Make sure that you exercise all the relevant muscle groups. Get a cheap book or research online if you are not sure of which exercises do what.

Keep your weights fairly high so that the very maximum number of repetitions in any exercise is 8 reps. In other words if you get to 8 but could do 9 or more.....then its time to up the weight on that given exercise. Write down your results for every session and try to improve on them.

Keep to a diet with a lot of grilled chicken, but dont miss your five a day fresh fruit or veg. Protein shakes after training are a thought too. You should aim to eat at least 1 gram of protein for each kilo of body fat per day. I wouldn't avoid treats too much either.

I would do perhaps three serious 45 minute - 1 hour sessions of weights per week.

2) If you train hard and eat well in sufficient quantity you will put on weight. Monitor your weight at various times during the week, just before going to sleep will keep some degree of consistency. This way, if you seem to be a pound or so down on the previous week, then it is your call to eat more!

3) Realistically in three months you should be able to put on at least 10 pounds of weight with decent training and diet, much of this should be muscle mass. When you have got to this level, I would then start focussing on cardio work. Running, skipping, bag work, circuit training.....its your call. If you train hard with these exercises you will burn body fat. BUT try to do at least one serious weights session a week to maintain the lifting that you built up to!. Always keep your notes and maintain that level. If you dont, you are in danger of losing what you built up in the first place, because decent cardio work will make you lose weight.

There is so much I've missed, this really is the basics. It all requires hard work. My own weight varies between 154 and 168 Lbs depending on what I am training for and I have done routines like this for donkeys years.
Sugarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 PM #7
Contender

Emphasis will become famous soon enoughEmphasis will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 25,043.29

I want to add getting enough sleep is extremely important too. 10 hours I'd say is best to aim for, with 8 being a good minimum.

Not getting enough overall rest will mess with your body and also your results.
Emphasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 AM #8
Engineered Nutrition

*2TOUGH* has disabled reputation
Bank: 378,493,154.06
Total Points: 382,006,301.21
burner is a bellend - Red October late xmas present - jazluvr No Message - jazluvr get ready for Frankie...lol. - jazluvr A spare...you're tuff on these - jazluvr 
*2WEAK* - jazluvr lipstick for a tough guy - -KULT- 
Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Red October Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 * Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pretty Boy32 * Gay and Lesbian Pride - Le4 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Le4 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Le4 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Le4 Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - DIB420 Gay and Lesbian Pride - ScottDBA Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emphasis View Post
I want to add getting enough sleep is extremely important too. 10 hours I'd say is best to aim for, with 8 being a good minimum.

in the world of working professionals 10 hours is a dream lol
if you are living in paradise then 10 hours might be ok..
*2TOUGH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:10 AM #9
Lizard King

blaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond reputeblaze778 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,409,939,201.59
Total Points: 5,410,008,299.75
Your first gift homey - Natedatpkid rock - TredKiller for the munchies. - Big Smoke two blunts=two subways homie! - Big Smoke Here you go homie. - Big Smoke 
for being a cool poster! - led No Message - Russian Crushin Get wasted - Russian Crushin Gotta eat the pie-ALWAYS!! - Russian Crushin get wasted lol - led 
A gift for ya.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Thanks - jazluvr Fattin up your gifts Playa - The Gully Gad you seem rational again. get wasted! - led Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Cheers bro! - led cheers bra, cheers - TredKiller BURRRRRRRR! - Natedatpkid cheers! - sweetpea87 Thank you that was very generous of you :) - dancovboxer 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian.. Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Hard Dick 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emphasis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by !! Met-Rx View Post
in the world of working professionals 10 hours is a dream lol
if you are living in paradise then 10 hours might be ok..
Depends on the body.

If I sleep more than 9 hours at a time, I feel totally weak when I wake up.

7-8 is ideal for me, with 9 being the absolute max. Anything more, I might as well sleep 4 hours. I know it's not healthy, but I feel equally shitty with 4 hours of sleep as I do with 10.
blaze778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:57 AM #10
Contender

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Darkstranger has a reputation beyond reputeDarkstranger has a reputation beyond reputeDarkstranger has a reputation beyond reputeDarkstranger has a reputation beyond reputeDarkstranger has a reputation beyond reputeDarkstranger has a reputation beyond reputeDarkstranger has a reputation beyond reputeDarkstranger has a reputation beyond reputeDarkstranger has a reputation beyond reputeDarkstranger has a reputation beyond reputeDarkstranger has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 209,408.15
Total Points: 252,778.38
Send a message via MSN to Darkstranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Tard View Post
I only weigh 155. I want to weigh 165, but I don't want to put on fat because I already have a small gut. I workout already and I'm seeing slight results. I put on 5 pounds, but I think I put on some more fat because I'm eating so much protein.

Should I lose fat and then focus on building muscle?
You didn't put on fat because of protein. You put on fat because you consumed more calories than you burn.

Usually people are skinny fat because they don't consume enough protein and don't do any resistance training.
Darkstranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
skinny-fat????, you're

User Tag List