Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM
gingeralbino
WAR MAGEE!!!

Rep Power: 26 gingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 17,520,459,940,082.23
Total Points: 17,520,460,025,614.09
ugly kid is gonna need it after he gets whooped - Sir TomJones top poster - S~T~J For being a consistently rock solid poster - The Surgeon one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Happy St Patrick's Day - Freedom2014 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -Boxzilla- 
Default Tommy Burns - most underrated Heavyweight?

This is an article I am just after reading on BBC about Tommy Burns. I don't know anything about him at all, and was wandering if you could shed some light on what you thought about his career, and if any of u rank him amongst the top 20 HWs of all time. I'm not sure who wrote it, i think it was just a poster on the BBC page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A74607014

Ayup lads.

A lot of talk regarding the Klitschko brothers recently, and general consensus seems to be that they are underrated Heavyweight champions. With this in mind, I remembered a point I raised a while ago, and would like to get your views on it; in particular, your views on Tommy Burns, and if you agree with me that he is one of, perhaps the most, underrated Heavyweight champions of all time. Not only that, but has his historical importance to the Heavyweight division been unfairly overlooked?

Most of you will know that Burns, at only 5’ 7”, was the shortest Heavyweight champion in history. What some may not know is that he compensated for this with a surprisingly long reach and some considerable punching power; 36 of his 46 wins (or 39 of his 48 wins, sources seem to vary) came by knock out or stoppage. He was responsible for a number of notable ‘firsts’ in the Heavyweight division. He was the first non-American of the gloved era to hold the title. He was the first to defend the title (at least in the gloved era) outside the States. And, most notably, he was the first to defend his crown against a “coloured” fighter.

But a closer look at his record shows that his achievements go a long way beyond simply being a trend setter. He took the title from an average champion in Marvin Hart, but proved his worth by making 11 successful defences, which stood as a divisional record until a certain Joe Louis came along.

And while his era wasn’t a golden one for the Heavyweights, successful defences against the Langford, Dempsey and Papke-conquering Jim Flynn and Light-Heavyweight great ‘Philadelphia’ Jack O’Brien show that Burns was still an impressive performer, with some worthwhile wins under his belt – albeit, there was later some controversy surrounding the O’Brien bouts (see my article on O’Brien a few weeks ago for a bit more on that if you need it).

Burns was also the definition of a “world” champion, risking his title four times in America, twice in England, once in Ireland, twice in France and twice in Australia. That kind of globetrotting for a Heavyweight champion would be impressive now; in the early 20th century, it is nothing short of astonishing. He eventually lost his title to Jack Johnson after 14 gruelling rounds in 1908, and the significance of this win – Johnson becoming the first black Heavyweight champion – has probably made people forget that it was, in fact, a fine champion that he took the title from in the first place.

I’ll stress that I’m not arguing Burns’ case for being an elite Heavyweight great, because he isn’t. But I can’t remember him gracing many top 20 lists, or even being mentioned as a stand out performer of his era. For me at least, he’s worthy of both these accolades – and may well be the most underrated Heavyweight champion of all time. Do you agree, disagree or are you indifferent?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-23-2010, 02:48 PM
sonnyboyx2
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 84,795,823.98
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

i have seen lots of his fights and i agree he is vastly underated
Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Rep Power: 57 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 116,264,328,404,868.92
Total Points: 116,264,328,409,861.41
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ziggy Stardust

The problem with Tommy Burns is that he really wasn't a Heavyweight by the standards of any era. He was a Middleweight who just so happend to win the Heavyweight belt. Rated as a Middleweight he was an excellent fighter.....he just wasn't that good of a Heavyweight which isn't something anyone ought to expect him to be.

I think there is a distressing habit on the part of boxing fans to place too much prestige on the Heavyweight title as compared to titles in other weightclasses. This leads to fighters who spend their entire careers at a lower weights then move up and win the Heavyweight belt but spend very little of their career fighting at that weight suddenly being labled a Heavyweight and rated with genuine Heavyweights regardless of where they spent the vast majority of their career.

Poet
Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,078,534.06
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Very underrated! The Johnson loss near as dammit tarnished his legacy because the fight was so onesided.

But in his prime he was very fast and negated his natural physical deficiencies well.

I think he held the record of most title defenses consecutively by KO, until Larry Holmes broke it.

I wouldn't have him heavyweight top 20 ATG, but he demands more respect than he gets.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Jim Jeffries
rugged individualist

Rep Power: 88 Jim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 50,307,902,517,343.57
Total Points: 50,307,904,281,334.25
U.S.A. Forever!!!!!!! - Mike Tyson77 Have a brew with your boy Pea, Jim.... - Shin Akuma have a gift.. - Miyagi To a very intelligent poster! - abosworth Republican Jockholder - alfonso13702 
merry xmas - msagrain Happy 10K Posts - Golden Boy 360 congrats on 10K jim...cheers - Makavelli 10,000!! - tyson 10k! - Equilibrium 
Too bad it ain't Cotto's Schlong!! - chicano79us Preach on!!! - -veteran420- have some san miguel - Akinapepemo have some san miguel - Akinapepemo yeah - BoxingTech718 
You get the Glen Beck award. Thanks for having my back brother - Mike Tyson77 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Holidays  Jim.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays bro! - led* Sorry you're asian and ugly.  This will make you feel better. - robust_ 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Mr._Pink World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - street bully AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Akinapepemo 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey 

I've always wondered why he wasn't ranked higher p4p. And if there was only one HW belt today, hard to imagine someone his size winning and defending it a dozen or so times.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:36 PM
gingeralbino
WAR MAGEE!!!

Rep Power: 26 gingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond reputegingeralbino has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 17,520,459,940,082.23
Total Points: 17,520,460,025,614.09
ugly kid is gonna need it after he gets whooped - Sir TomJones top poster - S~T~J For being a consistently rock solid poster - The Surgeon one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Happy St Patrick's Day - Freedom2014 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -Boxzilla- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
Very underrated! The Johnson loss near as dammit tarnished his legacy because the fight was so onesided.

But in his prime he was very fast and negated his natural physical deficiencies well.

I think he held the record of most title defenses consecutively by KO, until Larry Holmes broke it.

I wouldn't have him heavyweight top 20 ATG, but he demands more respect than he gets.
Just after looking into that as I read a comment under one of his fights on youtube, and according to boxrec (and the guy who made the comment) they both had 8 straight KO wins
Old 09-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,078,534.06
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingeralbino View Post
Just after looking into that as I read a comment under one of his fights on youtube, and according to boxrec (and the guy who made the comment) they both had 8 straight KO wins

There is some confusion that surrounds his first title defense. He ended up beating up two unranked nobodies on the same day in his first defense.......both by first round KO (Walker and O'Brien). I think only one was billed as for the title, although the other might have had some retrospective consideration.

Nobody in a sane mind defends their title twice the same day. I think James Walker was brought on because of the first round disappointment of O'Brien. They were more like exhibition fights from what I gather.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Tiozzo
Banned

Bank: 151,374,525.33
Total Points: 253,546,878.46
for knowing your stuff and schooling newbies around here - Alx. 

I'm bumping this because I thought of creating a thread on the same topic, but when I checked, this had already been created

good thread, maybe someone can add something
Old 09-21-2011, 05:26 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 205,944,766,715.62
Total Points: 206,945,015,101.48
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Good fighter although I wouldn't rank him as a heavyweight. Even the heavyweights he fought were mainly 180 lbers and many of them had very little skill. Burns could fight though but he may have had more problems with the clever and quick middleweights than the slow, plodding heavyweights of his era.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Tiozzo
Banned

Bank: 151,374,525.33
Total Points: 253,546,878.46
for knowing your stuff and schooling newbies around here - Alx. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Good fighter although I wouldn't rank him as a heavyweight. Even the heavyweights he fought were mainly 180 lbers and many of them had very little skill. Burns could fight though but he may have had more problems with the clever and quick middleweights than the slow, plodding heavyweights of his era.
sounds like a fair assessment