Whiplash injury -- how to avoid in the future? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 PM
kandinsky
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 3,356.85
Default Whiplash injury -- how to avoid in the future?

Hi all, I'm new to the forums. I suffered a whiplash injury 3 weeks ago from a bike accident/my first time sparring in the gym, and I haven't been to the gym since. I would like to ask if any of you know how to minimize the risk of whiplash (well of course, other than not getting hit), and if strengthening my neck would help.

The (long) story:
I was on my bike to the boxing gym, and I fell rather violently off it and hit the pavement on my side. I was wearing a helmet but I don't remember if my head hit the ground. I was shaky but I decided to suck it up and go ahead to the gym anyway. So I've been attending this gym 3x a week for the past 7 months, and had my first sparring session that night. My sparring partner was experienced, roughly the same size as me or smaller, did not use much force at all, etc. did everything right. I got hit with just some jabs probably a good 7 times, thought nothing of it, went home and was completely fine.

The next day I felt like I had the worst hangover of my life, on the second day my neck just was paralyzed. I hauled myself off to the doc and found out that I had bad whiplash, and now I've been going to the physiotherapist. I go to bed in pain, sometimes I can't swallow properly, I can't do anything with my upper body because my shoulders are too tight to do anything with. So ironically, all I can do is cycle (carefully).

I'm just curious to hear if any of you have any experiences with whiplash and returning to boxing, or boxing with a history of whiplash. It is like a rite of passage injury that people get over with? Would strengthening my neck help? If so, what exercises would you folks recommend?

I just have to emphasize that I feel pretty bummed about this, because my sparring partner did everything right! The blows I received were really light, and I've taken some nasty blows from gangbeat type exercises before so I know I can take a punch. I'm pretty sure it was all because of the bike fail.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
ScottDBA
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 10 ScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud ofScottDBA has much to be proud of
Bank: 444,830.25
Total Points: 465,302.87
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - bearman3000 

Maybe someone here has been through something similar, but you're better off asking your doctor/physio therapist about it since they will better know the details of your specific injury.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:01 PM
mrboxer
Banned

Rep Power: 0 mrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 45,098.24

you really cannot avoid whiplash,if the neck is suddenly jolted then a whiplash may occur,you can do some neck exercises to strengthen the neck,try moving your neck in a round motion,then go side to side then up and down,
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Righthandbanger
Contender

Total Points: 7,609.67

stick to what the doc says for now.. After you get the all clear some neck strengthening exercises will be fine.

I've recently had a pretty similar injury and healing needs to come first.

Share This With Friends

Tags
neck, whiplash

User Tag List