Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 09-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Zizou2
Banned

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 52,475.47
Cool Does Joe Louis vs Billy Conn prove Ali destroys Louis?

If a great LHW like Billy Conn, could use the sweet science to outbox Louis for several rounds, utilizing supreme lateral movement, footwork and skill, does this sway your opinion in favour of Ali in a fantasy match with Louis?

Ali presents a bigger, stronger, tougher, version of Conn.

The combination of Ali's superior movement, footwork, speed, iron chin, unbreakable will and fistic powers(jab, right hand, combinations), will be too much for Joe.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Zizou2; 09-05-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-05-2010, 02:23 PM
VibesMan
Contender

Rep Power: 6 VibesMan has a reputation beyond reputeVibesMan has a reputation beyond reputeVibesMan has a reputation beyond reputeVibesMan has a reputation beyond reputeVibesMan has a reputation beyond reputeVibesMan has a reputation beyond reputeVibesMan has a reputation beyond reputeVibesMan has a reputation beyond reputeVibesMan has a reputation beyond reputeVibesMan has a reputation beyond reputeVibesMan has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,511.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizou2 View Post
If a great LHW like Billy Conn, could use the sweet science to outbox Louis for several rounds, utilizing supreme lateral movement, footwork and skill, does this sway your opinion in favour of Ali in a fantasy match with Louis?

Thoughts?

Firstly I think Ali beats (not destroys) Louis anyway. I don't need the Conn fight to make me think that.

No one fight "proves" anything anyway.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Zizou2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VibesMan View Post
Firstly I think Ali beats (not destroys) Louis anyway. I don't need the Conn fight to make me think that.

No one fight "proves" anything anyway.
So I should have worded the title of the thread; "further proves"?

No one fight determines anything, definitively per se, however, it may influence heavily on one's opinions.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:29 PM
crold1
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 23 crold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 110,194,343.18
I totally agree with your p4p rankings, Pac is definitely above Floyd. - Neutral to one of the greats - jas 

Quote:
People have made this argument before. It's stupid and you're repeating a stupid argument for attention.

Conn fought nothing like Ali. At all. He was a fundamentals master who went inside on Joe and took away his leverage and then stepped out while staying small. It's not hard to find the fight. You should watch it.

Ali might have beaten Joe. It would have nothing to do with what Conn did.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Zizou2
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by crold1 View Post
People have made this argument before. It's stupid and you're repeating a stupid argument for attention.
I think we can have a civilised discussion without the silly child's play.

Quote:
Conn fought nothing like Ali. At all. He was a fundamentals master who went inside on Joe and took away his leverage and then stepped out while staying small. It's not hard to find the fight. You should watch it.
Really? Nothing? At All?

Oh dear me. I suggest you actually watch the fight, proper, or maybe perhaps see your local shrink.

Quote:
Oh, right. It will have nothing to do with what Conn did.

Poor argument.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Spartacus Sully
The Great John L.

Rep Power: 30 Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 59,233,820,463.55
Total Points: 59,233,932,051.89
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy Nice looking beard :fing02: my brother has one similar to yours, that mofo takes care of that thing more than he takes care of his wife lol - -jose- 

Quote:
Really? Nothing? At All?

Oh dear me. I suggest you actually watch the fight, proper, or maybe perhaps see your local shrink.
really nothing at all.

conn fights with proper foot work a guard and the use of glance offs and parrys ali fights with his hands at his waist allways bouncing around and every time he throws anything with his left he cant help but pull his right back.

Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 09-05-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:23 PM
r.burgundy
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 r.burgundy has a reputation beyond reputer.burgundy has a reputation beyond reputer.burgundy has a reputation beyond reputer.burgundy has a reputation beyond reputer.burgundy has a reputation beyond reputer.burgundy has a reputation beyond reputer.burgundy has a reputation beyond reputer.burgundy has a reputation beyond reputer.burgundy has a reputation beyond reputer.burgundy has a reputation beyond reputer.burgundy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 57,730.49
No Message - JAB5239 No Message - poet682006 No Message - poet682006 sorry for Red K confusion - HaglerSteelChin 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 

conn and ali didnt fight alike but somebody shouldnt need to use that fight to measure what ali would do to joe.that would be a pure mismatch for alot of reasons
Old 09-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Calilloyd
Undisputed Champion

Bank: 624,385.10
Total Points: 652,067.63
For being one helluva poster!!! - Chief2ndzOnly! 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom Fighter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Robert View Post
really nothing at all.

conn fights with proper foot work a guard and the use of glance offs and parrys ali fights with his hands at his waist allways bouncing around and every time he throws anything with his left he cant help but pull his right back.

Ali fought nothing like that. Don't just throw stuff out there.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Calilloyd
Undisputed Champion

Bank: 624,385.10
Total Points: 652,067.63
For being one helluva poster!!! - Chief2ndzOnly! 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom Fighter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crold1 View Post

It didn't have anything to do with what Conn did. Ali was a better fighter anyway. But the speed and movement bothered Louis, so that can certainly be used to guage it.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:21 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,061,110.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Conn and Ali arn't similar apart from both being faster on their feet than Louis.
I'm probably a bit old fashioned but you could use a film of Billy Conn to teach your son how to box, as talented as Ali was you wouldn't use a film of his.