Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 08-31-2010, 05:36 AM
Gino Ros
Banned

Bank: 2,606,020,444.84
Total Points: 2,606,337,050.94
NSB master of finance. My first deposit. - Kenny MF Powers No Message - Sir TomJones Money May AllDay, 1 of NSB best. Enjoy the fight homey! - CRASH DUMMY p4p biggest homo - Sir TomJones p4p biggest homo - Sir TomJones 
Best poster on this site !! - BoZz for the help - Lazerjab 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - bearman3000 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - tibbar World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sir TomJones 
Default Philadelphia Daily News: Skip Pacquiao-Margarito and Watch Football

Bernard Fernandez: Pacquiao-Margarito matchup? I'll pass

By Bernard Fernandez
Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Sports Writer

WHEN THERE still was a scintilla of hope that the Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. megafight could be salvaged for Nov. 13, I was faced with a possible decision that would have required the wisdom of Solomon: Should I cover the biggest boxing match in years, or the Penn State at Ohio State game that could have national-title implications?

Thanks to the many perpetrators who have made Pacquiao-Mayweather the most overhyped sports story since Brett Favre's latest "retirement" saga, my plans for that date are now firm. As I have near-zero interest in Pacquiao's consolation-prize bout with hand-wraps cheat Antonio Margarito, it's the college kids all the way. And maybe that's how it should be. Hey, the Nittany Lions and Buckeyes are going to play regardless of who lines up at quarterback 10 1/2 weeks hence. Pacquiao-Margarito, for reasons I will touch upon, is as palatable as a tuna-salad sandwich made from the stale contents of a bowl left on the kitchen counter for a couple of days.

But what's scary and sad is that Pacquiao-Mayweather, if and when it does get made, will leave that same sour taste in my mouth. It's no longer a question of who's to blame and who isn't for this pugilistic Super Bowl being placed on indefinite hold. As I see it, everyone is to blame to some degree; no one can claim to hold the moral high ground.

Does anyone really care whether Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs) is dictating to Pacquiao (51-3-2, 38 KOs) with his demands for Olympic-level drug-testing? Or if he's "afraid" to risk his undefeated record against the one man perhaps most capable of handing him an "L"?

Until recently, I had been siding, if somewhat tenuously, with the Pacquiao camp in its contention that Mayweather was the primary culprit for a fight everyone wants to see not happening. But then Pac-Man's promoter, Top Rank founder Bob Arum, gave us Margarito (38-6, 27 KOs) as a replacement opponent, which, frankly, stinks.

Consider how we have arrived to this point. Margarito, who still claims he had no knowledge of the plaster-like inserts in the hand wraps he attempted to enter the ring with for a Jan. 24, 2009, bout with Shane Mosley in Los Angeles, was denied reinstatement of his boxing license by the California State Athletic Commission following the Nevada commission's decision to table his motion to relicensure.

Rather than take "Pac-Man's" act to Mexico or another foreign country disinclined to recognize the California suspension, Arum then turned to Texas, whose much-maligned commission is the closest thing to a Wild West operation this side of Billy the Kid. William Kuntz, executive director of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, granted Margarito a license without asking him a single question, although Kuntz did issue a prepared statement in which he says that "after a thorough review of his application it was determined Mr. Margarito met the requirements of the Texas Combative Sports Act and Rules."

It seems to me that Margarito got off a lot lighter than suspected horse thieves did in hanging judge Roy Bean's frontier saloon/courtroom. And am I the only one who has a nagging feeling that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, whose $1.2 billion Cowboys Stadium will be the venue for the second consecutive Pacquiao fight (he also defeated Joshua Clottey there on March 13), used his considerable clout to influence Texas' rush to give a thumbs-up to the tainted Margarito?

I'm also not too keen on Arum's apparent intention to keep Pacquaio busy by having him fight only members of the Top Rank stable, as Margarito is and Clottey was, while seemingly more deserving fighters are kept on the outside looking in. Pacquiao was in two exhilarating slugfests with Juan Manuel Marquez (51-5-1, 37 KOs), against whom he is 1-0-1, but Arum did not so much as entertain the notion of a third meeting. Is it because Arum detests Golden Boy bigwigs Richard Schaefer and Oscar De La Hoya, who have Marquez, even more than he does longtime nemesis Don King, who appears to have gained favor with Mayweather?

HBO Sports executives are as complicit in this mess as Arum. Didn't they accept a sports Emmy last year for televising Eric Drath's documentary, "Assault in the Ring," which details the notorious 1983 fight in which Luis Resto, with doctored hand wraps and nearly unpadded gloves, brutalized Billy Collins? HBO is doing the pay-per-view for Pacquiao-Margarito and no one with the pay-cable giant has uttered a peep about Margarito's Resto-like transgressions.

But what of Pacquiao himself? The newly elected Philippines congressman ran on a platform of honesty and integrity, but he meekly acquiesced to Arum's dictum that he accept a $15 million payday to fight Margarito when there were less-soiled options available.

The WBC is sanctioning Pacquiao-Margarito for the vacant WBC super welterweight championship, which, if he wins, would be Pac-Man's eighth title in a different weight class. That's nearly as historic as WBC president Jose Sulaiman providing additional proof that his organization has no shame or sense of decorum.

At least we can be thankful we have college football to look forward to on Nov. 13. *

Read more: http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...#ixzz0yAsFw7lq
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-31-2010, 05:51 PM
trainhard_187
Jizz on my face

Rep Power: 20 trainhard_187 has a reputation beyond reputetrainhard_187 has a reputation beyond reputetrainhard_187 has a reputation beyond reputetrainhard_187 has a reputation beyond reputetrainhard_187 has a reputation beyond reputetrainhard_187 has a reputation beyond reputetrainhard_187 has a reputation beyond reputetrainhard_187 has a reputation beyond reputetrainhard_187 has a reputation beyond reputetrainhard_187 has a reputation beyond reputetrainhard_187 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,000,256,164.16

Funny thing about it is this writer is still curious of the outcome..
Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 PM
-MAKAVELLI-
deicide

Rep Power: 317 -MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute-MAKAVELLI- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 13,018,388,619,341,651,968.00
Total Points: 13,018,988,732,425,687,040.00
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang merry xmas - Ether Happy Holidays Makie!  :kiss: - Lorily Christmas Beer! Cheers you crazy bastard. - ThePhantom5 42k post medal! - Flabulous 
For good luck - jazluvr I heard you're big, but don't worry Tua is bigger - Uns Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy New Year, bro. - Libido Sanchez Happy Holidays MAKAVELLI - !! AI-Holmes!! 
have a Happy and safe New Years bro! - jose830 Happy New Year - Freedom. Tagay para sa new year! - led* Happy Holidays, bud! - jazluvr Funniest poster on site, here's a burger - jas 
Old School Thread - -jose- From your pal, BeerBro - Beercules damn son! you one handsome fellow! and with all do respect...Wow!!! that girl you with is Bad!!! definitely wifey material. - -jose- Sorry for the my in the moment RED K, here is a medal. - BrushMyHair that shit was funny bro :lol1: I literally cracked up - -jose- 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - S a m u r a i Head and Neck Cancer - S a m u r a i Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - S a m u r a i Childhood Cancer - ??? Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jim Jeffries 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - deanrw Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Pretty Boy32 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - dans01234 Head and Neck Cancer - PensionKiller 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Akinapepemo Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Akinapepemo Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MARKBNLV Childhood Cancer - LeeVanCleef 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 

yes...and when they realize that losing McNabb and Westbrook hurts more than they expected, they'll be lookin for other sports to watch
Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 PM
dj Ramos
Banned

Rep Power: 0 dj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 589,057,099.66
Total Points: 599,157,293.62
4 - RunW/Knives 5 - RunW/Knives 6 - RunW/Knives 7 - RunW/Knives 8 - RunW/Knives 
9 - RunW/Knives 10 Blue Para for the Metro. - RunW/Knives Have this homo - Mr Punch Quality Poster and Hella Funny - Stones! Chea - Stones! 
TRUTH WARRIOR - Stones! Thirsty...? - ??? I feel a Tornado Coming!!!!! - Stones! to celebrate chicaritos goal - C.RONALDO Pretend this is your hero - jazluvr 
to the homie dj heart - Tha_Greatest Have a slice - SouthpawSwagger 11 - Gremlin. For Dj, use this to get ronaldo and fabregas drunk so then you can defile them both! BWAHAHAHAHA ;) - BritishBoxing92 practice is always good you know for what ;) - BritishBoxing92 
Childhood Cancer - Viciousz Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - Mr Punch Gay and Lesbian Pride - INSECT Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - ??? AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - Spray_resistant Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Willy Wanker 
Send a message via AIM to dj Ramos
Thumbs down

Lmaooo...Hmmmmmm..Miss fight of the year...or watch a wackass game of Handegg...i think i know what ill be doing Nov 13
Old 08-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Crazylegs77
null and void

Rep Power: 39 Crazylegs77 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazylegs77 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazylegs77 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazylegs77 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazylegs77 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazylegs77 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazylegs77 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazylegs77 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazylegs77 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazylegs77 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazylegs77 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 99,025,965.96
Total Points: 149,313,340.10
bobjr will forever be in our hearts! we love you bob!! - Zhou Sann :goat: - Mile Kitic Vive le France! :banana: :p - Philippe lovely poster - INSECT 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - crazylegs77 Gay and Lesbian Pride - ЯiZO Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Pico Hollywood Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Spare Moody 

Football? Id rather watch paint dry.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:55 PM
starkiller
Banned

Bank: 312,117.32
Total Points: 1,111,262.56
happy bithday homie - Tha_Greatest go drive out and celebrate, drink alotta beers and drive yourself home homie - Tha_Greatest for a stand up poster - jazluvr 

The Philadelphia Daily News!

Everything is best in philly.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Mannie Phresh
LUCAS KO'S FLOYD

Rep Power: 46 Mannie Phresh has a reputation beyond reputeMannie Phresh has a reputation beyond reputeMannie Phresh has a reputation beyond reputeMannie Phresh has a reputation beyond reputeMannie Phresh has a reputation beyond reputeMannie Phresh has a reputation beyond reputeMannie Phresh has a reputation beyond reputeMannie Phresh has a reputation beyond reputeMannie Phresh has a reputation beyond reputeMannie Phresh has a reputation beyond reputeMannie Phresh has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,251,535,806,914,648.00
Total Points: 25,351,535,806,927,428.00
Nice user title - rorymac No Message - Tha_Greatest Keep grillin these kids. - Kenny MF Powers No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Mannie Phresh 
Happy Easter :kiss: - Bossy Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil Here's one for the kid. COngrats bro! - led* heres to your baby boy cheers - MARKBNLV Congratulations on your baby boy...have some coffee! - jose830 
No Message - MARKBNLV not sure whos alt u are but i like you lol - ~BoZz~ Happy holidays bro! - led* lmaoooo! what you just posted on MEAT's thread deserves a burger :lol1: - jose830 WAR LUCASSS may the powerful toxins of iguana meat flow thru his veins - thuggery 
No Message - jose830 :luvbed: - -jose- you need more gifts - sugarsmosley great post! - -jose- Mannie Phresh is a G - Mike D 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

great article.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Franco2012
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 18 Franco2012 has a reputation beyond reputeFranco2012 has a reputation beyond reputeFranco2012 has a reputation beyond reputeFranco2012 has a reputation beyond reputeFranco2012 has a reputation beyond reputeFranco2012 has a reputation beyond reputeFranco2012 has a reputation beyond reputeFranco2012 has a reputation beyond reputeFranco2012 has a reputation beyond reputeFranco2012 has a reputation beyond reputeFranco2012 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 207,210,173.70
Total Points: 207,640,736.20
super poster...! - Erik13 for your victory on the thunderdome vs dillinger on his own thread on you, he got owned by a few comments, lol, nyahahaha - Tha_Greatest mr. awesome - Jabroni for daily hilarious yet scientific ownership of flomo's - Dick Buffman a super collection for you homie - Tha_Greatest 
My inspiration. - Little Mac one more homie - Tha_Greatest To my croatian homie. - Big Smoke No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest finallyit is done, you got your superman set, you earned them, lol, th - Tha_Greatest 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ken Kaniff Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Willy Wanker 

Pacquiao vs Margarito is fight of the year.

Only mentally ill people would miss war like this!
kaliwete88
Amateur

Rep Power: 0 kaliwete88 has a reputation beyond reputekaliwete88 has a reputation beyond reputekaliwete88 has a reputation beyond reputekaliwete88 has a reputation beyond reputekaliwete88 has a reputation beyond reputekaliwete88 has a reputation beyond reputekaliwete88 has a reputation beyond reputekaliwete88 has a reputation beyond reputekaliwete88 has a reputation beyond reputekaliwete88 has a reputation beyond reputekaliwete88 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,182.75

nobody is twisting your arm to watch it..
OpaiSoma
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 6 OpaiSoma has a reputation beyond reputeOpaiSoma has a reputation beyond reputeOpaiSoma has a reputation beyond reputeOpaiSoma has a reputation beyond reputeOpaiSoma has a reputation beyond reputeOpaiSoma has a reputation beyond reputeOpaiSoma has a reputation beyond reputeOpaiSoma has a reputation beyond reputeOpaiSoma has a reputation beyond reputeOpaiSoma has a reputation beyond reputeOpaiSoma has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.78
Total Points: 66,629.21
yes - TheAlmighty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
great article.
i guess youll be watching football. whos playing during that day?